Menu

Prima Latina and the non-reader

K&Rs Mom

We just started PL, and my 3yo joins in. We were doing flashcards of the vowel sounds (lesson I) and she is saying the correct Latin sound when I show the card. Is this going to derail her learning to read English? :confused: Has anyone successfully taught both? I haven't done much with English reading yet, though she knows all of the letters and their sounds (thanks Leapfrog Letter Factory). Now she has said she's ready to take another look at Phonics Pathways, and I'm waiting for the library's copy to be available. In the meantime, she can recite ah, ay, ee, oh, oo. :rolleyes: Someone tell me this is going to turn out fine!

Thanks!

I don't teach Latin until my boys are grounded in phonics and reading well, usually 3rd grade. If your 3-year old was just chanting the sounds and words, I won't worry about it. However, I would discourage the flashcards with her because she's already associating Latin sounds with English letters. Of course, you're not ruining her, but it could make learning to read English more difficult down the road. Just my $0.02 though.

I don't know if I read it, or a handful of moms from this site have said it...but I was told to wait until they are reading well and have a good grasp of English phonics before starting Latin.

My 4/yo is reading now....just now moving from CVC words to multi-syllable words and we hope to start Latin in the fall depending on how she progrersses with her reading this summer. But if she's not progressing we will wait until she's reading better.

So for us, it's a waiting game for the youngest to be reading well. And it might be another year....but I have the books ready :p

Thanks, ladies. I waited until the older one was reading well, but it didn't occur to me to wait until they both were ready. I don't do the flashcards specifically with R, but if she's still at the table when I get them out for K she likes to be able to answer. Now do I back out of PL for another year or two (we're only on lesson 2) or just plunge ahead with K and hope R hangs on for the ride? :confused: I know I have plenty of time, but life sometimes throws things in to push things back even further, and I don't want this to just be dropped....

Way before I was teaching her to read.

I did Prima with her orally in K right along with teaching her to read. I don't know how to say this, she likes sounds? She enjoys the way things sound. A word or phrase that catches her attention will be repeated, thoughtfully and often, sometimes for days. So she loves saying the prayers and such. She is 7 now and in 1st but reading at an 8th grade level so I don't think learning Latin first or alongside did any harm.

But, every child is different and wonderful with their own strengths and talents so that was just our experience with Latin and English for a non reader at the same time. :)

I don't think you can stop her from learning it. there is always the possibility of a little confusion and a little lag time in learning to read English like other kids learning 2 languages but i wouldn't stress over it. There isn't much you can do beyond banning her from the room. My 2yo pretends to chant Latin endings with us so I fully expect to have this problem but I don't plan to exclude her from learning Latin. We will just work with it and I will remind her to use the English pronunciation.

I completely agree with this. My daughter is bilingual, and essentially what is happening with the 3yo is learning by immersion (albeit, a "dead" language, but learning by immersion nevertheless). The only "problem" I can foresee is perhaps mixing up the sound of long 'i' and pronouncing it like long 'e'. My daughter did that (the vowels are the same as Latin vowels) for a little bit, but they figure it out. (I started to say before our English phonics lessons, "This is English now. Let's say the Names of the vowels...")

Learning by immersion is pretty interesting. There is a video on learning.org (free registration, free to watch) of an American French-immersion school. All the children are English speakers, learning French in an all French environment. They even learn to read in French before they learn to read in English. Reading skill transfers from one language to another (although this normally applies to reading in primary language first, then the second language, it hasn't effected immersion kids negatively yet ;)).

All in all, I wouldn't worry about it.

Renai