Menu

UPDATE:The Saga of the One Cent Chair-Funny Thing that Happened

TranquilMind

So, I couldn't sleep last night.  This happens sometimes.  I look at Facebook, since I'm in the eBay groups and have some sales going.

Someone reports that Menard's has these $358 patio chairs on sale for one penny, in one pattern only.  I'm thinking, "Right, sure they do."  So I go to the site and sure enough, they are for sale for one penny apiece.  I buy 4, for a checkout total of 4 cents.  ;)

The post comments are growing and growing.  Apparently, the item has come to the attention of some "deals" sites, and people start going nuts and buying these chairs at 1000 apiece.   

I get a confirmation email.  Yippee, the sun room is getting new chairs for 4 cents!

No, seriously, I know they will cancel all the orders, but goodness, what a mistake to make.  I just went to the link and the price is back at $358.00

It was fun to think for ten minutes I might get new chairs for four cents though.  One guy joked that he was buying a hundred to resell at half price so he could pay down his student loan. 

I still have not received a cancellation email.    I better get my four cents back!  :laugh:

UPDATE:  Well, as you may have guessed, my order was cancelled, as was everyone else's.  The email was odd, stating that the computer had sold an imaginary item.  Nope.  It is a real chair and it is still listed on the website...for $358. 

I was hoping they might honor it.  Oh well. 

Edited by TranquilMind
  • Like 4

I think they should just honor the orders, at least the reasonable orders, like you can get two, or four (not a thousand).  ;)  I mean, what kind of positive warm fuzzies will that generate about Menard's? 

But I know I'm dreaming...

American Girl had a sale like that; people were calling it the "Glitch Sale". I believe they honored it.

• Like 1

I think they should just honor the orders, at least the reasonable orders, like you can get two, or four (not a thousand).  ;)  I mean, what kind of positive warm fuzzies will that generate about Menard's? 

They probably will, but the shipping is now $358.  :glare:

• Like 8

I was actually thinking the same thing. There should at least be some kind of gesture made since it is not the buyer's fault.

• 5 years later...
On 1/23/2017 at 12:52 PM, historically accurate said:

American Girl had a sale like that; people were calling it the "Glitch Sale". I believe they honored it.

The AG sale was giving an expensive item for free (It was like buy 4 get 1 free (Or maybe buy 2 get 1 free) -- and if they bought the collection of all items that became free). It was honored for some but not all orders. A lot of people had their orders cancelled. But some people had put three individual items in their carts, not the whole collection. And those were honored.

American Girl is not doing well at all.