Menu

Calculating GPA

I know this has been discussed a lot before but I just don't quite get it.

If your grading scale is:  90-100 =A

80-89 = B  etc.

and your child has scores that are above 90 in all their classes then what is their GPA?

I think I understand that an A earns a 4.0, but if that is the case then how do people end up with 3.85 etc. I'm sorry this is probably a really stupid question. My only excuse is that I did not go to school in a system that used this method of scoring.

Also, I need to submit a semester grade card to the insurance agency for auto insurance for dd. Does anyone know where I can find a good template for a grade card?

Thanks

If their scores are above 90 in everything they have a 4.0.

To calculate GPA, you add up the score for each class times the number of credits for that class (in highschool, classes are typically 1 credit or.5 credits), add all those numbers together, then divide by the total number of credits.

Let's say a kid has four 1 credit classes, 3 with A's and one with a B grade. He then has 4+4+4+3= 15, divided by the number of credits (4); his GPA is 15/4= 3.75

• Like 1

If he also had a 0.5 credit class (maybe a 1 semester class, or one that just doesn't add up to the hours for a full credit) with a grade of A that would add 4x0.5 points to the calculation, so then he would have 17 points divided by 4.5 credits, for a GPA of 3.78

• Like 1

If their scores are above 90 in everything they have a 4.0.

To calculate GPA, you add up the score for each class times the number of credits for that class (in highschool, classes are typically 1 credit or.5 credits), add all those numbers together, then divide by the total number of credits.

Let's say a kid has four 1 credit classes, 3 with A's and one with a B grade. He then has 4+4+4+3= 15, divided by the number of credits (4); his GPA is 15/4= 3.75

If he also had a 0.5 credit class (maybe a 1 semester class, or one that just doesn't add up to the hours for a full credit) with a grade of A that would add 4x0.5 points to the calculation, so then he would have 17 points divided by 4.5 credits, for a GPA of 3.78

Thanks, that really helps!

• Like 1