Make-up poll

Do you like make-up?  

1. 1. Do you like make-up?

• I wear full make-up daily.
    • I wear limited make-up daily.
    • I wear full make-up occasionally.
    • I wear limited make-up occasionally.
    • I do not wear make-up.
    • I think most women look nicer in make-up.
    • I think most women look nicer without make-up.
    • Other

Yesterday I started a thread requesting make-up tips. I haven't worn make-up in about 15 years, ever since I met (and later married) this amazing man who expressed a preference for the "natural" look. ;) Now as I look forward to another anniversay of my 30th birthday, I feel like the only woman in the world who doesn't at least use a little lipstick once in a while. So, am I truly alone? Is the natural look more popular than I realise? Are there men out there who wish it was?

Well, the trick to makeup is to make it look natural, unless it's evening. Every day I wear a mineral powder foundation, a bit of eye shadow, liner, and something on my lips- either a light neutral lipstick or just a gloss. That is a lot less makeup than most of my friends wear.

Now, on a day I know I'm not going anywhere, I don't wear makeup at all or just foundation so I don't scare people.

I just asked my husband, and he said he didn't care one way or another. He said most men are lookin' at your boobs, not your makeup :lol:

I wear dark brown eyeshadow, undereye conclearer, light powder and blush when I am going out of the house. It makes me look less tired and old. I never wear lipstick, even when I was a teen and in my 20's , it has always just looked weird on me. Remember in the very first Indiana Jones, at the end of the movie with Indy and marion on the steps in Washington D.C. she has on bright red lipstick and it looks kinda weird on her, it makes her lips look small and she looked so much better in the rest of the movie. Well that is how it has always looked on me.

I've gone through different 'makeup-using' phases. For a long time I didn't wear make-up except on occassion. A few years ago I decided I needed to grow up and start wearing make-up more often. I was in my mid-30's and wore make-up most days, always if I went out. I've just given up wearing it because of finances, but I voted a little make-up occassionally because I would probably wear it for a dinner out or something. I do think that most women look better with a little make-up, but until our finances improve I'm going to abstain. I rather eat that wear make-up. :001_smile:

I don't own a tube (do they call it a tube?) of lipstick. My dh doesn't like lipstick at all, and neither do I! I do apply a little eyeliner and mascara most days. I prefer a natural look, to heavy make-up and so does my dh. However, he is happy when I remember to brush my hair (which I usually try to do before he gets home. :-))

I was at Epcot a few weeks ago and behind this young woman (gee, i'm getting OLD huh? LOL!!) early/mid 20's probably. Her makeup was so thick she appeared to have to scrape it off.... i kept thinking how much better shoe would look up close without so much foundation on you know? Even if she had skin issues - i'd rather see those than the pancake look. My SIL overdoes the foundation too (and she has similar coloring/looks as this lady at Epcot), and i think she looks better before she spends all that time in the bathroom. But notice neither of these people asked me! :P

I don't wear any.... i've NEVER found a foundation type of product that works for my coloring. I probably could use some eyeshadow or something - but i own none and well, the thought of going makeup shopping could make me want to go clothes shopping. Or get a root canal. LOL!

I guess it's a good thing i'm a DDD right now huh? :lol:

I don't wear any.... i've NEVER found a foundation type of product that works for my coloring.

I have found this to be true for me also. My face has natural highlights that foundation tends to just cover up. I end up with a very artificial look (at least in the past I did). Some of the foundations/powders I looked at yesterday appeared to have very light coverage, so maybe this is a solution.

But at this point, I am leaning towards maybe juat a touch of eye make-up on special occasions, and leaving the rest alone.

I guess it's a good thing i'm a DDD right now huh? :lol:

Yeah, that helps too!

I just accidentally deleted a long, chatty reply. Grrrr.

I chose "wear minimal make-up occasionally". I'm not a foundation wearer. Never have been. Dh is more of a go natural kind of guy, so I wear less make-up now than I did before we married. A good thing since, during my farming/infant rearing days, I gave up on a lot of personal care habits, daily showering and thrice daily teeth brushing included! :001_huh:

I can't say whether I think women look better with or without makeup, but across the board, I prefer a natural look to a heavily made up look.

Tracey, I had to giggle at your typo here:

i kept thinking how much better shoe would look up close without so much foundation on you know

Even shoes look bad with too much foundation! :lol:

I picked that I wear full makeup every day. Truth be told I don't wear eye makeup due to my eye disease. The intent is there though. In another year I'll be back to it.

I enjoy wearing it and know I look much better with it. I've met some women who look wonderful without it. I'm not one of them.

I went a long time not wearing anything more than mascara and concealer. Last month I started using mineral makeup. I love it! While I am wearing more it looks very natural. I use the Fresh Minerals set sold at Costco. Dh says most women look better with some makeup. He doesn't like the really heavy fake look, though.

Edited by Veritaserum
To fix the name of the make-up.

I can go without makeup, but as the years go by I feel more together with a natural job. I've moved on to the mineral powder line (Everyday Minerals made in the USA. You can order free samples and just pay the shipping via paypal or a cc.) and love the very natural, not over done look it produces. It lasts all day and doesn't feel heavy, greasy or like paint. There are other days when I just wash my face and go. ;)

Makeup or no makeup, I think it's how you feel that matters.

Edited by Tammyla

None. When I quit working outside the house I gave up two things: pantyhose and make-up.

Now, everything Christmas I have to go buy a tube of mascara and lipstick to look acceptable for dh's Christmas party. Over the course of the year my girls use it to play dress up.

Would I look better in make-up? Probably. It's pure laziness on my part.

Janet

Tracey, I had to giggle at your typo here:

Even shoes look bad with too much foundation! :lol:

OH gee. :tongue_smilie:

OK, in my defense - i got up at 4:20am to take my mom to the airport. Got home at 7am so DH could go to work on time.... My Mt Dew hasn't kicked in yet!

She had great shoes and a cute as can be little dress too! LOL!!!

I prefer full makeup. I usually wear none. When I go out, I usually wear light makeup. (Concealer, powder foundation, brows and lips). I choose to do more important things with my time (like get there to Bible study when it starts, not when it is halfway over). Filling in my eyebrows which are dark and sparse makes the biggest difference. I look younger when I take the time to do that.

For those who voted "Women look best with full make-up", do you wear make-up daily?

For those who voted "Women look best without make-up", do you typically not wear make-up?

I ask b/c I think most women look best with the full paint job on the face. However, I almost never do this. Mascara, concealer, tiny bit of blush and eye, and lips. Mostly to replace sun tan and not look like disappearing lady.

Just wondering...!

He said most men are lookin' at your boobs, not your makeup :lol:

I must be very disappointing to look at.:lol:

I need foundation. My skin is a little on the blotchie side. If I had nice skin, I would go make-up free. Mascara makes my eyes itch. I only wear it several time a month. I can't stand anything on my lips, so there goes lipstick. I do like to wear foundation, blush, eyeshadow, blush, eyeliner and powder when I go out. I might put all that on 2x a week. Mostly on Sundays and if dh and I go out.

Edited by Tabrett

For those who voted "Women look best with full make-up", do you wear make-up daily?

For those who voted "Women look best without make-up", do you typically not wear make-up?

I ask b/c I think most women look best with the full paint job on the face. However, I almost never do this. Mascara, concealer, tiny bit of blush and eye, and lips. Mostly to replace sun tan and not look like disappearing lady.

Just wondering...!

These are good questions. I am also curious about the male/female break down on the preference questions. I had more detailed questions posted, but recieved a server error because some of them exceeded 100 characters or some such thing...

Stay tuned for the "do you go braless" poll. :lol: Nope, not here. That could be dangerous. :tongue_smilie:

OK, remember my joke about being disappointing to look at? I don't need a bra and I don't wear one at home. I do put a bra on when I go out so there is not ummmm.... pointers?:lol: Unfortunately pasties would probably work fine for me.:blush:

OK, remember my joke about being disappointing to look at? I don't need a bra and I don't wear one at home. I do put a bra on when I go out so there is not ummmm.... pointers?:lol: Unfortunately pasties would probably work fine for me.:blush:

Tabrett, the reality is that larger women wish they were smaller, and smaller women wish they were larger. As for the men - I, personally do not think they are that fussy ;)

These are good questions. I am also curious about the male/female break down on the preference questions. I had more detailed questions posted, but recieved a server error because some of them exceeded 100 characters or some such thing...

I voted: For those who voted "Women look best without make-up", do you typically not wear make-up?

And no, i don't wear it. But when i say look best without - its when i say, WHOA, she is "made up" that i'm talking about (like the lady with the great shoes at Epcot :P). The natural subtle look - i probably wouldn't even notice.

I guess i'm thinking - evening makeup look in the daytime. Not the "basics" that most people i know use.

Does that make sense?

And, i can almost be assured of encountering all kinds when i leave the house... retirement communities are full of, um, variety :D

Edited by TraceyS/FL
really, could the Mt Dew kick in???

I voted that I wear full makeup, but I work hard to look natural and not made up. When I am not made up, people think I am sick or something:) Most of the women I hang out with IRL do not wear makeup. I am one of the few that wears more than Bert's Bees on her lips. I use Bare Escentuals for foundation, and Arbonne for the rest of my "color".

I tend to think most women are prettier than they realise. I also tend to think that applies to women other than myself... :tongue_smilie:

I think most women think this (at least that last part) and I think its what drives the cosmetics industry.

But I also think there's a painterly art in make-up. I enjoy the process of application as much as the results. I don't like having my make-up done. I feel cheated.

I wear a tinted moisturizer, concealer, blush, mascara and lip gloss most days. Sometimes I wear eyeshadow and eyeliner (especially if I'm wearing my glasses instead of contacts).

If I loved my natural skintone everyday I would never wear foundation. You're lucky!

IBut I also think there's a painterly art in make-up. I enjoy the process of application as much as the results. I don't like having my make-up done. I feel cheated.

I would agree with this also. I do notice and appreciate when make-up is artistically applied. I think part of my problem has been that I never truly developed the skill. If I do ever wear make-up I definitely want to learn how to do it right.

And my dh prefers the natural look. I used to think that it was convenient that it worked out that way but when I stop to think about it, he probably was attracked to me because he prefers the natural look and I happen to look that way. I do wear make up for special occassions, pictures and such and I did wear make-up when I worked in a bank, not so much when I worked in retail. You would not believe what a dirty job that can be. It is a real advantage to be able to give your face a quick wipe down with a warm wet washrag during the day.

Stay tuned for the "do you go braless" poll. :lol: Nope, not for me either. That could be dangerous. :tongue_smilie:

:lol: The Girls go in their harness first thing in the am and don't get out until bedtime.

When will bra-makers make bras for boobs shaped like tube socks stuffed with a slightly smashed grapefruit?

9 years ago...I dropped all hydrogenated oils from our diet, began cooking in either real butter or olive oil, and supplemented with flax oil (nowadays I also use coconut oil and cod liver oil). I did this for my then 1 year old daughter because I was persuaded the real fats had excellent benefits for her brain and immune system development.

Another excellent place to start could be eliminating processed and refined sugars and starches from your diet. Use whole grains and unrefined sugars in moderate amounts. Good options for sugars are real maple syrup, honey and unrefined sugar. Whole grains are much more filling, so you eat less, and they have nutrients that are missing in processed starches. Unrefined sugars have some nutritional value also, and some (like pure maple syrup and raw honey) are low glycemic.

I also try to stay away from food additives, artificial colors, flavors, and so forth. This can be more difficult and rather expensive unless you are willing to do more cooking from scratch on your own.

Excuse the paste from another thread, but it is instructive IMO.

If you want to look good, eat healthfully. Cindy you mentioned your skin glows with highlights. It's because you are living right. You don't need to slap on foundation if your skin (and hair) are displays to the world that you are vibrantly healthy.

The best make-up? A heathy diet.

Bill (who could use some under-eye bag cover-up this morning :001_huh: )

I wear no makeup. I wish I knew how to apply makeup. I've tried, but I think I have officially given up.

Dp hates makeup. Loathes it. Thinks all women look better with no makeup. (Though he could definitely be one who's just looking at the boobs!) So, I used to wear lip gloss but that has been phased out to an even more natural look. The closest I get to makeup now is face moisturizer.

(Admitting that there have a been a couple - 2 or 3 - special events that I have gone to without him, and have worn minimal makeup on those occasions. It's fun to play dress up.)

I suggest staying away from foundation. Once it's used on a regular basis your skin seems to become "addicted" to it. Women I've seen without foundation (who virtually always wear it) look, well... it is very obvious.

I really don't know how you would prove this. If you are looking at people who always wear foundation and then don't for some reason, how do you know that's not how their skin always looks?

When I entered my 30's, my skin took on a reddish tone, so a foundation is a must for me.

I'm just trying to figure out what led you to believe a person's skin becomes addicted to it.

I really don't know how you would prove this. If you are looking at people who always wear foundation and then don't for some reason, how do you know that's not how their skin always looks?

When I entered my 30's, my skin took on a reddish tone, so a foundation is a must for me.

I'm just trying to figure out what led you to believe a person's skin becomes addicted to it.

I wondered whether the problem is really that our skin gets addicted to the foundation, or that we get used to seeing ourselves in it.