Menu

Next Year Plans

I dug this thread back up to ruminate on next years plans since I've finally been bitten by the planning bug.  (I usually start in December, so this is late for me! :lol: )

I'm toying with BYL for an HG 10, will be 11 year old.  Is this crazy?  I think we need to "recalibrate" and more freedom is not helping.  DS liked the looks of it and I could bump him up a grade or two to get more challenging books. I am wondering if a little bit of an outline for the year would be nice.

I might just be having a little homeschool panic attack and this will pass, so feel free to ignore. :lol:

What is BYL?

PS I'm an expert at homeschool crises. Mine come in waves and are unrelenting. One day I feel super-confident, the next I'm second-guessing everything we're doing. I keep reminding myself that my crises are evidence that I care and that I'm really trying to do this well.

And three cheers for this forum to share our crises!

• Like 2

Well, the kid has convinced me to let him dabble with French by himself if his other work gets completed. There is no way to legitimately say no. We have a friend who is fluent who has agreed to look over his translations and do pronunciation once a week.

Anyone have good beginner French curriculum? Bonus points if it can expand past first year into high school.

I would say Galore is great, but I wouldn't consider it high school. You can go through it quicker, say contract three books in 2 years and add some real reading the second year and then you can probably call it high school. I think the best French materials are from CLE if you are comfortable with having no English of any kind on a page.

Another option is do Galore book 1 and then transition to French in Action. Although the latter is meant to be for beginners, I think it's best introduced to kids with some background in language and paired with a more explicit grammar instruction.

What is BYL?

PS I'm an expert at homeschool crises. Mine come in waves and are unrelenting. One day I feel super-confident, the next I'm second-guessing everything we're doing. I keep reminding myself that my crises are evidence that I care and that I'm really trying to do this well.

And three cheers for this forum to share our crises!

Build Your Library (it's not talked about on the AL board because it probably doesn't work for AL's)

• Like 1

I think the best French materials are from CLE if you are comfortable with having no English of any kind on a page.

Another option is do Galore book 1 and then transition to French in Action. Although the latter is meant to be for beginners, I think it's best introduced to kids with some background in language and paired with a more explicit grammar instruction.

CLE publishes a ton of books. The ones I have experience with and usually well referenced are the Grammaire Progressive series, the Vocabulaire Progressive series, and Grammaire en Dialogue series. I know those three are excellent. Are there others you like for children?

French in Action is a massive course. It does contain a lot of grammar and shouldn't need supplementing. I think it could very reasonably be called all 4 years of high school, since it was designed to be 4 semesters of college. It has about 240 hours of videos and audio (~32h video, 204h audio) and two 400 page workbooks to go along with the text.

CLE publishes a ton of books. The ones I have experience with and usually well referenced are the Grammaire Progressive series, the Vocabulaire Progressive series, and Grammaire en Dialogue series. I know those three are excellent. Are there others you like for children?

French in Action is a massive course. It does contain a lot of grammar and shouldn't need supplementing. I think it could very reasonably be called all 4 years of high school, since it was designed to be 4 semesters of college. It has about 240 hours of videos and audio (~32h video, 204h audio) and two 400 page workbooks to go along with the text.

I don't disagree with French in Action having grammar, but the way it is presented is disjointed for somebody who has had no previous knowledge of French grammar. It's a bit all over the place. I have friends who studies with French in Action in college and some told me they were completely lost and needed more grammar in a more organized way.

We are using CLE Civilization course (debutant) right now and loving it. We also just began Communication Progressive (Avancee) and it's full of expressions, which makes the text significantly tougher than we anticipated.

We also use their DELF B1 Junior Scholaire book and it's another excellent text with tough newspaper passages among others.

We plan in the future to use their Literature Francophone as well as advanced civilization books.

Butting in is very appreciated! I know a bit at this point about language learning methodology, grammar for linguistics, an a lot of theory, but know virtually nothing about the specific languages themselves.

Ds has agreed to doing one year himself to see if he actually wants to study the language or not. We have a friend who does translation for governments and travels internationally six months a year for missionary work. He is going to do the tutoring/pronunciation/question answering. After a year, we are going to re-evaluate. I am fairly sure he is going to want to continue. At that point he can see if he is going to want to enroll in an online class (if I can find one that is fairly rigorous) or if he will do another year at home before starting online classes.

First Start was going to last very little time. It looks cute and simple (which I think he likes initially). I'll check out Galore Park and see if that will hold him longer. It definitely sounds like it. This child is weirdly good at translation, so the CLE books might be very helpful once his vocabulary picks up enough that he can get a good run at it. I have heard about French in Action. I'll see if he is interested in the CLE books or French in Action more. Having options is always preferable for this kid.

Have either of you discovered an online class that is similar to the level of Lukeion only for French?

Nothing like Lukeion exists for French. In fact finding anything rigorous online for French has been impossible. Some people like Potters, but my understanding is they don't correct written work. Hence our choice to head to CC.

And I wouldn't touch First Start not even for a Ker.

Our next year plans:

Math - Intermediate Algebra and precalculus with aops. He wants to double down.

Science - bio and DS wants to continue with physics.

Likely DE for French.

German,

Lit class.

That's the core. We might do CS (maybe AP), not decided.

He will be in 7th technically.

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 1

We're finishing up GSWF, and then transitioning to Galore Park in 3rd. How do you use the CLE books? Is there a sequence? How much Galore Park would you need to be successful with CLE? I have a native speaker in the house who can assist if I get stuck.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 1

We're finishing up GSWF, and then transitioning to Galore Park in 3rd. How do you use the CLE books? Is there a sequence? How much Galore Park would you need to be successful with CLE? I have a native speaker in the house who can assist if I get stuck.

I started to reply before I realized you said third grade. CLE is just a publisher. When people refer to CLE books they usually mean the series I started to describe below, but they are geared to adults. The other CLE titles Roadrunner mentioned above start at an advanced level. CLE does put out good books for kids. We love Alex et ZoĂƒÂ©. It would be great for third grade. It goes through A2 level. If you get past that in the younger grades it is possibly best to ask on the bilingual boards for native material. A Mots Contes is a great (not CLE) series. I'm leaving my reply below in case it helps anyone with an older child.

------

CLE publishes a ton of books. The only one that I'd recommend to a middle or young high schooler is Grammaire Progressive de FranĂƒÂ§ais niveau dĂƒÂ©butant (or higher as you improve in skill). The first is orange. There is also a beige complete beginner book that isn't good. It is the first half of the orange book repackaged.

There is a Vocabulaire Progressive series too which is ok. Be warned that the first few chapters introduce a small amount of vocabulary for adults sleeping with each other. I wouldn't use with a younger person. Grammaire en Dialogues is also really well rated. It is like the Assimil course I mentioned earlier but a little more systematic/academic. The dialogue to the beginning level is centered on the comings and goings of college students. Not super engaging but the series overall gets great reviews as a complete course.

• Like 5

Ok, my crisis is over.  :lol:  (I hope I didn't just jinx myself.  :leaving: )

I am going to resign myself to the fact that every Spring, I will look wistfully at boxed curricula and will it to work.  It will last a week or two until I come to my senses.  I will call it my yearly "Boxopause." (It's like menopause, but yearly, and I'm sure women in menopause are still more mentally together than I am during boxopause.)

• Like 3

well, this is the first year I'm not excited about planning for next year. I'm still really overwhelmed from adding my twins into the mix. I'm also taking a college course and studying for the GRE so I'm just not in planning for next year mode.

DD&DS (7 in July ~ 2nd grade)

DD is MG and DS is HG so that's a tiny bit challenging. He's flying past her in math so I may switch one of them to something else.

Math: Miquon this year, but I'm switching to MM and lots of math games

LA: Bravewriter

Science: unit studies

History: unit studies

DD does gymnastics and violin, DD does soccer & piano

DS 10 (11 in November, ~ 6th grade)

uuuhhhhh..... :leaving:

ETA: Ok, I do know a few things he'll be doing, and the more I think about it the more I realize he probably needs a lot of outside instruction and I better get on that.

I think it's going to shape up like this,

Spanish: Continue HSA

Math: Jacobs

LA: Maybe a Bravewriter class or two

Lit: finish up Mensa excellence in reading 4-6, continue grades 7-8 (we've read some, we can't get through Little Women to save our lives. :lol: )

History: online or Unit Study World History

Science: online or Unit Studies he's into computer science and chemistry

I really want to be relaxed. He gets moody if I try to be too strict

He also does swimming and piano We are going to try to get him into the jazz piano group as well.

I think I have everything fleshed out for my 10 year old! I had an epiphany this afternoon, I won't go into it, but suffice to say he needs structure even if he doesn't know it, and he still needs me to "lay a feast."

Anyways, we are both excited about this, so hopefully it pans out next year.

Ds (turning 11)

Math: Jacobs & Real World Algebra

Science: Astronomy & Earth Science - Uzinggo, Great Courses Plus, Story of Science, and joining a local Astronomy club

History: second half of Hakim history along with pin it maps and big fat notebook US history

Spanish: HSA

Writing: BW (passion for fiction online, we also need to finish up FO) he also does an after school creative writing program

Grammar: MCT literature level

Lit: mix of modern and classics, BW early British literature Bommerang bundle

Art: You are an artist chalk pastels

Music: piano, producing in finale and garage band, hip

Hop camp

Swimming

Dd & Ds (turning 7)

Math: Singapore with lots of fun supplements

Bravewriter & BYL for language arts & history

Science: interest led, DD is big into science

Art: with big brother

Piano & violin

Soccer and gymnastics

Maybe I can sleep now. :)

• Like 1

I think I have everything fleshed out for my 10 year old! I had an epiphany this afternoon, I won't go into it, but suffice to say he needs structure even if he doesn't know it, and he still needs me to "lay a feast."

Ds (turning 11)

Science: Astronomy & Earth Science - Uzinggo, Great Courses Plus, Story of Science, and joining a local Astronomy club

History: second half of Hakim history along with pin it maps and big fat notebook US history

Writing: BW (passion for fiction online, we also need to finish up FO) he also does an after school creative writing program

Hop camp

Swimming

Dd & Ds (turning 7)

Piano & violin

Soccer and gymnastics

I love your 'lay a feast' analogy. And I totally get that need for some structure.

That's kind of what I do these days. 

Each weekend I write a one-page plan for the upcoming week. So, it's nothing too detailed, but it has 3 sections:

1) Daily must-dos

- things like piano, guitar, fitness, some writing, whiteboard maths, some independent reading

- this list is always the same and very vague, but ensures there's some variety 

2) Get it done sometime this week list 

- things like a lesson from Mapping the Body with Art, a couple of chapters from LoF Chemistry, watch a particular documentary, read some chapters from a certain book, research a certain part for an essay, 

- this list varies every week. I try to mix up the 'feast' that is offered.

3) Options to fill the rest of the time

- things like crochet, cooking, woodwork, macrame, puzzles, more reading, more working on her novel 

I often also stipulate the options for the daily writing eg one day work on your novel, one day do dictations, one day do an exam-style essay question, one day do a writing challenge.

So, there's a feast of options, but a loose overall structure.

It's actually the most structured we've been to date (5+ years of homeschooling now).

It's sorta kinda working....for now.

Good luck with your structured feast, Amber.

• Like 3

Next year plans:

DS7: 

Math: Singapore math & Beast Academy & Soroban training

Science: MPH Science

LA: MPH English with assestments books for grammer and spelling

French: So you really want to learn French with something else (not decided yet)

STEM: Scratch and Robotics

Sports: Karate and swimming

+ Belguim Curriculum and lots of readings

DS6:

Math: Singapore Math and BA & Soroban training

Science: MPH Science

LA: MPH English with assestments books for grammer and spelling

French: Skoldo

STEM: Scratch and Robotics with Dear brother

Sports: Karate and swimming

+ Belguim Curriculum and lots of readings

DS2:

Lots of hugs and kisses with montessori games and read alouds

• Like 2

I love your 'lay a feast' analogy. And I totally get that need for some structure.

That's kind of what I do these days.

Each weekend I write a one-page plan for the upcoming week. So, it's nothing too detailed, but it has 3 sections:

1) Daily must-dos

- things like piano, guitar, fitness, some writing, whiteboard maths, some independent reading

- this list is always the same and very vague, but ensures there's some variety

2) Get it done sometime this week list

- things like a lesson from Mapping the Body with Art, a couple of chapters from LoF Chemistry, watch a particular documentary, read some chapters from a certain book, research a certain part for an essay,

- this list varies every week. I try to mix up the 'feast' that is offered.

3) Options to fill the rest of the time

- things like crochet, cooking, woodwork, macrame, puzzles, more reading, more working on her novel

I often also stipulate the options for the daily writing eg one day work on your novel, one day do dictations, one day do an exam-style essay question, one day do a writing challenge.

So, there's a feast of options, but a loose overall structure.

It's actually the most structured we've been to date (5+ years of homeschooling now).

It's sorta kinda working....for now.

Good luck with your structured feast, Amber.

Thank you. :)

They way you do it is kind of how we do it now, but I just make daily checklists. He really thrives when I fill up his day. I realized it's the days I wrote, "math, reading, work on a project," when we have the most problems. He's motivated to do nothing those days. The days I give him 4 or 5 subjects to do he's calmer and able to focus. I can't explain it other than he's not going to be an unschooly kid no matter how hard I try. He doesn't want to do a project, he wants to be fed facts. Or he wants the facts payed out on a buffet and he can gorge himself or have a snack. Lol. He will go through periods when he will work on a musical project, but it has to be on his terms. His strongest gift is music and I read a study on SENG the other day that these kinds of gifts can cause anxiety because it's a lot of pressure to be great, and also it can kind of feel like you are possessed with the inspiration or need to create. Now that I understand that it makes lots of sense that he doesn't want to be force into creating all the time. The academics are something else to focus on and still feed the need to learn.

It's kind of a tight rope. I have to give him lots of say in what we study but I also have to provide lots to engage in. He chose everything on that list, so as long as I hit the right amount of challenge and work load we should be good. Easier said than done, obviously. ;)

• Like 1

Latin 3/4 ( Flemish textbook)

Ancient Greek -> currently in the fridge

Dutch: LA + Literature (Dutch textbook)

English (EFL): Dutch Textbook + Bravewriter + Literature

French (FLE): Dutch textbook + Terre des Lettres 3 + Readinglist (TBD) + immersion camp

German (DAF): Dutch Textbook +Praxis: Literatur und Sprache + Readinglist (TBD) + immersion camp (in search of)

Math 4 (grade 10) TBD

IGCSE Complete Physics

iGCSE Complete Chemistry

M&L Biology

History: 1800-1950, mix of items, dutch textbook as spine

Geography: Space & Earth Science + Environmental science (grade 12 exam)

Music&Arts: Harmony Fine Arts

PE: Folkdance, Aquajogging?

World Religions

Extra:

Sociology, Psychology, Philosophy, Ethics, Current Events

Or something like that :)

• Like 2

I cannot fully wrap my head around the fact that I am done too. I have been eyeing the dogs wistfully and hoping they were young children who would be amenable to reading anything and everything and doing math the way kiddo was. But I know I am kidding myself. They would be very different learners and while I know that I can unschool, I don't know if I can let go of control enough to radically unschool. :laugh:

• Like 15

Amber, can you explain how you're using the chalk pastel site?

Books? Video courses?

I've looked at this before and ended up umming and aaahing and doing nothing more.

I'd love to hear what it's like.

I haven't actually used it yet, so I'm going to be of little help. I might try one of the smaller lesson packs to see if we like it. 

That being said, I'm planning on one lesson a week.  They are video lessons and we can follow up with books if we need to. We love art, and my youngers are especially artsy so I think the investment will be worth it.

I need *some* sort of art direction, and also motivation/incentive to get to it.  When I spend money on things, I use them on principle so hopefully this works. :lol:

• Like 1

I cannot fully wrap my head around the fact that I am done too. I have been eyeing the dogs wistfully and hoping they were young children who would be amenable to reading anything and everything and doing math the way kiddo was. But I know I am kidding myself. They would be very different learners and while I know that I can unschool, I don't know if I can let go of control enough to radically unschool.  :laugh:

You need cats! They especially love math. And snuggles during silent reading. 

post-34981-0-77927000-1489349434_thumb.jpeg

post-34981-0-13012700-1489349445_thumb.jpeg

post-34981-0-77927000-1489349434_thumb.jpeg

post-34981-0-13012700-1489349445_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Alte Veste Academy
  • Like 4

You need cats! They especially love math. And snuggles during silent reading. 

Awww, lovely! You have love-to-learn cats! I had to bribe one of mine for this (notice how his attention is still elsewhere):

• Like 3

Awww, lovely! You have love-to-learn cats! I had to bribe one of mine for this (notice how his attention is still elsewhere):

attachicon.gifSAM_4879resized.jpg

Yeah, my dog isn't interested in learning anything except what the UPS guy's true motives are here. Your guy is a cutie-pie!

Edited by Alte Veste Academy
  • Like 3

I haven't actually used it yet, so I'm going to be of little help. I might try one of the smaller lesson packs to see if we like it. 

That being said, I'm planning on one lesson a week.  They are video lessons and we can follow up with books if we need to. We love art, and my youngers are especially artsy so I think the investment will be worth it.

I need *some* sort of art direction, and also motivation/incentive to get to it.  When I spend money on things, I use them on principle so hopefully this works. :lol:

I found one free video lesson: http://www.chalkpastel.com/product/spring-chalk-pastel-video-art-course/ 

For my daughter, the style of the presenter is everything, so I've added this free lesson to her 'feast' for this week and we'll see if it's a hit or miss.

We've never followed any sort of plan or curriculum with art. It just sort of comes and goes in waves of interest. 

There are two youtube channels that she keeps going back to though (mostly pencil drawings):

Mark Crilley

Circle Line Art School

Another good one is Angela Anderson, which is acrylic painting tutorials.

Everything I've seen on all these channels has been 100% child friendly, but isn't 'kiddy', if you know what I mean? My daughter turns her nose up at things that are clearly aimed at children.

And they're FREE!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Very sketchy here because we won't have a college course schedule, and DD is middle priority on registration (she will be a returning student and isn't DE, but since she doesn't have a declared major, she registers later than some).

But-

Math-2nd semester of the CC sequence she's taking (2 semester math for education majors, which is basically college algebra, logic and math teaching techniques) Fall, Probability and Statistics or Finite Math Spring (depending on whether she is likely to go to PS high school-if she does, we'll save stats for then since most schools offer AP stats, but few offer Finite Math. ) Lead math club for elementary kids.

Update-basically the same, but DD's professor says she should do the 2nd statistics course and skip the first one, and she'll sign a waiver for DD to do so,

Science-some CC class-Ecology, Microbiology, or Anatomy and Physiology depending on whether she is likely to go to PS. Possibly doing Chem lab locally at the high school level for extra practice on calculations and lab reports (The person DD is doing lab bio with is a PhD organic chemist, and DD likes her, although she doesn't think much of high school level bio). Micro and A&P have 2 semester sequences. If Ecology, probably continue as a homegrown class in Spring. Science education and outreach. And, as always, herpetology.

-----Update:Fall-Psychology at CC Spring ??? (Maybe homegrown/mentor animal behavior)

Chemistry Review/Lab locally

Teach Herpetology Workshop at Athena's Academy, other herp research and outreach,

English-either an online lit class or homegrown, lots of essay and formal analysis practice. Possibly look at the English Comp CLEP exam or SAT-2.

Update- We're going the homegrown lit analysis route for fall, maybe online for Spring (possibly a G3 teen focus class)

History-Either continue our tour of history around the English Speaking World, if I can find books, or an online class

Update-She'll finish India this semester, so we're heading to Canada for the fall :)

Foreign language -Possibly Spanish 1 at CC (we haven't done Spanish in several years now). Depending on schedule, we may review Spanish at home in the fall and then do the class in the Spring. (Still the same)

Piano

Cheer team (She wants to try out for the CC team :) ) (trying out for an All Star Junior (u14) team instead-she's annoyed with rec) ).

At this point going to PS high school looks unlikely. She would just plain have to repeat too much and go too far backwards, so the real question is "when does she want to graduate and go to college full-time".

• Like 3

I found one free video lesson: http://www.chalkpastel.com/product/spring-chalk-pastel-video-art-course/

For my daughter, the style of the presenter is everything, so I've added this free lesson to her 'feast' for this week and we'll see if it's a hit or miss.

We've never followed any sort of plan or curriculum with art. It just sort of comes and goes in waves of interest.

There are two youtube channels that she keeps going back to though (mostly pencil drawings):

Mark Crilley

Circle Line Art School

Another good one is Angela Anderson, which is acrylic painting tutorials.

Everything I've seen on all these channels has been 100% child friendly, but isn't 'kiddy', if you know what I mean? My daughter turns her nose up at things that are clearly aimed at children.

And they're FREE!

Thank you!! I was just talking to my husband and we were thinking the money would be better spent on actual art classes. We have both a great Art museum and a great art institute nearby so we will take advantage of that.

• Like 1

Math: WilsonHill Geometry and review with Aops algebra, AMC 8

Literature and vocab: loads and loads of books. She loves reading.

Science: physics with WTMA, focus on research and bringing her ideas to life

History: middle ages

Geography: Geomatters and continue Runkle

Language arts: Analytical grammar

Spanish: grade 8 spanish and start prepping for Ap spanish slowly.

Music: Piano

Art: art class

Sports: horse riding and shows, fencing and tournaments.

Academic competitions: PSIA, AMC 8/Mathcounts if I can get a team, national quiz bowl with her friend.

Main goal for me is to keep challenged enough in everything she does. She gets bored easily.

Any out of box ideas for her? She is going to be 11 next month. 5th grader. Would love suggestions/ideas/opinions!!

Edited by mom2vikha
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Very loosely planning... (10th grade dd)  

I should really begin to put things together. I have texts for math and science plus all the resources for history. Need to order next level French.

Math: Pre-Calculus

Science: Physics

History: Renaissance-Early Modern

Language Arts: Not sure...possibly a college course and/or will continue to use tutor

Foreign Language: French II and continue with Irish tutor

Music: Violin/Fiddle/gypsy jazz

Considering other options: Interior design course, Psychology or Art History (both either college course, online, or at home course)

I have a few things to look into such as the viability of taking online community college courses because I am fairly sure dd's touring schedule will not allow her to attend in person next year. My other option would be to put the courses together myself using college texts.

I have a bit more of a plan for next year. She will be taking some courses through the community college but must be online due to travel schedule. She and I both decided to let her sample courses and see which catch her interest...she is a humanities kid so plenty of options there.

All year:

Language Arts- (Journalism) with her tutor

Foreign Language- Continuing French and Irish

Music- duh

**History/Math-not sure whether to spread these out through the year or block in the Spring...will start and see if she has too much work in fall then decide. 

Fall:

Psychology- through college (online)

Art Appreciation- through college (online)

Spring:

English Comp I (online) - don't think she really needs this course but it is a prerequisite for all the other "english" courses she really wants to take

*Possibly one other course through the college depending on the workload and her travel schedule

• Like 2

My Kindergartener will be doing:

Spelling You See D

The Sentence Family

RFP Aesop Fables 3 and 4

Singapore 4 (probably take 2 years)

Beast Academy 2/3

Process Skills 2

CWP 1

The Violin Book

Risas y Sonrisas with tutor

Bunch of easy workbooks and living books

Edited!

Dd

LA- High School American Literature with targeted essays. Free academic reading from WTM lists.

Glencoe Grammar and Composition Grade 11. This is like a trimmer, slimmer Warriner's. I'll have her take the pre-test for each section and work through whatever she misses in the section. Last year of grammar.

Vocabulit J- I require her to know how to spell these, too. Quick, easy and she likes the passages.

Latin Alive! 1- This will be mostly review, but I want something with a standard scope to finish up Latin over the next 2-3 years.

French- Finish last 2 chapters Breaking the French Barrier 1, Duolingo, maybe start BthB 2. Rumor of a local French class has circulated.

Alfred's Complete Music Theory. We really like this high school level workbook, but are only doing 2-3 lessons a week. Need to wrap this up this year.

Jacobs Geometry and begin Foerster Algebra 2 with MWB. She plays with math, so conceptually she's farther ahead. She really needs the practice putting her process on paper, and I'm afraid of gaps since she's self-studied so much. Algebra 1 with Foerster has worked really well, and she's flying through Geometry.

Human Odyssey 3 + Personal Finance

ASPC. Hopefully this will be a Goldilocks for us. Appropriate level science is a struggle every year. I'll be happy to give them my money again next year for Advanced Chemistry if she likes this.

She plans to self-study art and aviation through various resources I've put together. She plays two instruments (with a chance to try out for the local college's community orchestera -fingers crossed) and is in a year-round club sport, so maybe busy year.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 1

Dd1(3rd)

Singapore 4 & BA 4

MCT Town (or maybe Treasured Conversations first, then back to MCT?)

R&S Spelling 3

Pictures in Cursive D- or E-ish

If she wants to continue with her focus on Latin, probably Big Book of Lively Latin 2

If she wants to continue with Greek, ?????

Piano lessons

Dd2 (1st)

Singapore 2b-3, BA 2 when it comes out

Finish OPG

Something else for Language Arts?

Pictures in Cursive B- or C- ish

Probably start spelling with R&S?

If she still wants her special focus to be on plants-- I have no clue what else to do for this.

violin lessons

Ds1 (K)

My wild boy is completely blowing me away lately. Not so long ago, I had thought that he would do better waiting a year and being an older K instead of a younger one (summer birthday). But with the way he has exploded lately, I think we'll call this K and keep on just doing things at his own request.

Math-- he started Singapore 1a eight days ago, and has done three chapters (including IP and CWP). I have no idea where he will be by next Fall, but it will be Singapore and BA.

He will continue with OPG for phonics

Probably something for handwriting?

Continue violin lessons (unless a move makes cello feasible, as he would love to play cello)

All

BFSU 2

SOTW 3

Excellerate Spanish 2

UPDATE

My husband is being laid off at the end of June. He is currently searching for other work, but if he doesn't find something by then, we will be going to stay with my parents in the mean time. The silver lining to unemployment being that they live in San Diego--so if we do wind up living off of unemployment benefits in someone else's home, at least our kids will have a million easily accessible educational opportunities paid for by public funds through the charter system there. They will even pay for an instrument rental as well as lessons, so my boy can learn cello if he wants to. That part is fun to dream about.

Aside from possibilities with that, though, here are my updated plans for dd2 and for ds2 (no changes for the other two:

Dd2 (1st)

Singapore Math 3 & BA 2

All About Reading

We'll give the R&S spelling book we already have a try, but I'm thinking we may need to go to All About Spelling.

Hold off on other Language Arts for now.

She wants to learn German for her special subject. I am super excited to be teaching a language I can actually speak! I'm not feeling inspired by any of the curricula I've seen and I'm thinking about putting together my own thing.

Violin lessons

Ds2 (3 years old)

I do preschool-on-demand for my kids, and I usually just offer something phonics, something math, and we do unit studies on whatever their particular area of interest is. And we start an instrument, gently, around pre-K age. This little guy's current love is the violin, though, so here's his:

Singapore Essential Math

OPG--or maybe AAR, since I'll have it for sister anyways.

Violin and other music games--I'm compiling a list of fun games that teach music skills for when he's asking me to practice with him. I just need to find a violin for him.

• Like 1

UPDATE

My husband is being laid off at the end of June. He is currently searching for other work, but if he doesn't find something by then, we will be going to stay with my parents in the mean time. The silver lining to unemployment being that they live in San Diego--so if we do wind up living off of unemployment benefits in someone else's home, at least our kids will have a million easily accessible educational opportunities paid for by public funds through the charter system there. They will even pay for an instrument rental as well as lessons, so my boy can learn cello if he wants to. That part is fun to dream about.

Aside from possibilities with that, though, here are my updated plans for dd2 and for ds2 (no changes for the other two:

Dd2 (1st)

Singapore Math 3 & BA 2

All About Reading

We'll give the R&S spelling book we already have a try, but I'm thinking we may need to go to All About Spelling.

She wants to learn German for her special subject. I am super excited to be teaching a language I can actually speak! I'm not feeling inspired by any of the curricula I've seen and I'm thinking about putting together my own thing.

Violin lessons

Ds2 (3 years old)

I do preschool-on-demand for my kids, and I usually just offer something phonics, something math, and we do unit studies on whatever their particular area of interest is. And we start an instrument, gently, around pre-K age. This little guy's current love is the violin, though, so here's his:

Singapore Essential Math

Violin and other music games--I'm compiling a list of fun games that teach music skills for when he's asking me to practice with him. I just need to find a violin for him.

Did you decide on a charter yet? Let me know if you need anything. Hugs to you guys.

She wants to learn German for her special subject. I am super excited to be teaching a language I can actually speak!

This group has job postings and other fun postings on Facebook and probably on their webpage too

https://californiagermans.com

My kids liked Planetino for German when they were her age. https://shop.hueber.de/en/reihen-und-lehrwerke/planetino.html?___from_store=de#category-15688

Deutsch Neue Deutschmobil is better if your child wants to learn faster and deeper.

http://www.klett-sprachen.de/das-neue-deutschmobil/r-1/80#reiter=undefined&niveau=A1

• Like 1

Did you decide on a charter yet? Let me know if you need anything. Hugs to you guys.

We're applying to Inspire.  I'm just delayed by needing copies of their vaccination records, which I think I lost a few moves ago. 

This group has job postings and other fun postings on Facebook and probably on their webpage too

https://californiagermans.com

My kids liked Planetino for German when they were her age. https://shop.hueber.de/en/reihen-und-lehrwerke/planetino.html?___from_store=de#category-15688

Deutsch Neue Deutschmobil is better if your child wants to learn faster and deeper.

http://www.klett-sprachen.de/das-neue-deutschmobil/r-1/80#reiter=undefined&niveau=A1

The tricky thing is that dd2 is accelerated in some areas and a little delayed in others, so it's hard to find a good fit for her.  She wants faster and deeper but needs it with kinesthetic learning and no or very little reading.  I found some really great German preschool songs on youtube with hand motions or dances that go along with them, so I was thinking I might build my own curriculum plan around those.

ETA: Thank you both!

Edited by La Condessa
  • Like 1

We're applying to Inspire. I'm just delayed by needing copies of their vaccination records, which I think I lost a few moves ago.

The tricky thing is that dd2 is accelerated in some areas and a little delayed in others, so it's hard to find a good fit for her. She wants faster and deeper but needs it with kinesthetic learning and no or very little reading. I found some really great German preschool songs on youtube with hand motions or dances that go along with them, so I was thinking I might build my own curriculum plan around those.

ETA: Thank you both!

Sending you good vibes for a smooth transition and a short time in between jobs for your DH!

Soooo
I bought BYL grade 2 for my twins and grade 6 for DS 10. I just have to get it out of my system. We didn't get to history much this year so I'm hoping having a schedule will kick us into gear.  I plan on adding a ton for my oldest so we'll see how it looks when I actually sit down and plan. DS 10 also decided to do Chemistry with Jade Rivera at GHF.

Edited by Runningmom80
  • Like 2

Planning is a work in progress. Here is the latest iteration:

DD8, soon to be 9

Science: Ellen McHenry Botany (done on her own), TOPS Electricity and Magnetism (done as a family), How Things Work (Macaulay)

Literature: Ambleside year 4 selections

Writing: Classical Composition Fable

Grammar / Vocab / Spelling: Wordly Wise 6 and/or Rod and Staff Grammar

Language: Chinese

History: SOTW 4

PE: swim, running with mom, goal to run a 5K, otherwise interest led

Math: Finish Beast 5C/D, start AOPS Pre-Alg

Art: Creating a Masterpiece, CM style picture study

She has the option of joining an AOPS Pre-A co-op class in the fall, but I'm on the fence about whether we should do it. She's currently working through the tail end of Beast 5B. We'd have to rush through 5C and 5D this summer. I'm sure she could finish a 5th grade math pretty easily if I moved her to something like Singapore or MM, 

but she enjoys Beast and she is pretty much self-teaching from Beast. I'm hesitant to rush her through...

DD 6, soon to be 7

Science: Botany and TOPS E and M 

Literature: Ambleside year 2

Writing: loosely based on WWE2, we will use our own lit selections

Grammar: FLL2, spelling we'll punt til sometime in the future...

Language: Chinese

History: SOTW 4 

PE: swim, run with mom, interest led

Math: Singapore 3, possibly throw in some Beast 3

Art: Creating a Masterpiece, CM style picture study

Edited by JHLWTM
  • Like 1

Ugh. I want to throw out all my plans and start over.  I've posted like 3 iterations of my plans for DS 10 on this thread and none of them are what we want. I am making myself take a planning break for May.  I'm going to sign him up for the online stuff we need and leave the rest for June.

Edited by Runningmom80
  • Like 1

I feel like I am so behind in my planning. Between morning sickness, finishing up the semester, getting our house ready to sell, and all the showings I am overwhelmed. Plus there is always normal life with kids. We also might be moving so I need to figure out a plan so I can organize everything so we can pack stuff up logically so I can find it so we can start early because I am having a baby. Ahhh  :scared:  But, I feel like if I start writing stuff down that will really help.

Oldest Son (soon to be 9)

Math: the rest of AOPS Pre-A and then moving onto Algebra, plus a bunch of fun stuff

Latin: Getting Started with Latin and Henle First Year Latin

French: no clue, what we did last year didn't work at all so I need a new plan

History: my homegrown with lots of books

Science: my homegrown with continued nature study and lots of books, my son wants to do physics so I am working on a plan for that

English: my homegrown- we need to work on cursive and written narrations especially; other than that we will continue doing what we already are

Literature: Ambleside Year 4 selections and a whole bunch of other books

Art: CM picture study, a more formal study that I need to figure out

Music: Piano and Music Study

Middle Son (7)

Math: Beast Academy and MEP and a whole bunch of other fun stuff

Latin: Minimus

French: same as above

History, Science, and English- my homegrown

Literature- Ambleside Online Year 3 list

Art: same as above

Music:Piano and Composer study

Smallest Boy (will be 6 in Sept.)

Math: Miquon and other fun stuff

French: same as above

History and Science: my homegrown

English: work on reading, writing, and penmanship

Literature: Ambleside Online Year 1 list

Art: same as above

Music: Piano and Composer study

I also need to figure out my Morning Time selections as well.

Sigh...at least I have some progress right?

Edited by 4Kiddos
  • Like 1

Oooh, I'm glad you stared this thread.  I need some ideas.  Also, I wanted to write out my (really, really) rough draft plans for 5yo DS#3 on the other board's planning threads, but I couldn't decide where to post so I just didn't.  He's technically supposed to start K in the fall, but his birthday's only a couple of months after the Oct cutoff.  In my head it feels more like his 1st grade year coming up. Anyways, this is what I've got so far.

5yo DS#3 for K/1st

Math: MEP 3 and/or Beast 3, though he just started MEP 2 and RS C, so he may have some finishing up to do on those first.  It's hard to predict.

Science:  I could really use some suggestions!  He needs activities to do and material to read for himself; nothing discussion based will work.  Right now I'm leaning toward continuing with E-M Daily Science 3 as a spine with Scott Foresman textbooks, Bill Nye episodes, and library books to flesh it out.  This just isn't feeling awesome though.

History/Lit/Geography:  BookShark 3 + E-M Daily Geography 3 (or maybe not E-M Geography, it's a lot of writing at that level)

Language Arts:  Not sure.  He's done FLL 1 and 2, but FLL 3 was too dry.  I'm considering starting him in MCT Island, but I'm worried it will be too much.  So maybe I'll have him do the E-M Language Fundamentals 2 workbook as a segue into MCT.  Or maybe something else??  

Extras: totally going to do RFWP Sharon Kaye philosophy level B (Theo Rising).  Nothing else planned yet.  I'll be reading this thread and hunting for ideas.

8yo, soon to be 9yo, DS#1 for 4th (who I did post on another thread, but plans have already changed! lol)

Math: AoPS Pre-A, might throw in RightStart lvl G too for fun and fine motor practice

Science: No idea

History/Lit/Geography:  BookShark 3 (with DS#3) + E-M Geography 5

Language Arts:  MCT Town.  Going to work through Killgallons Elementary Sentence Composing nowish through the summer, so maybe continue with that, or maybe move on

Extras:  RFWP Sharon Kaye philosophy lvl E (Finding Faith).  Not sure what else.

Okay, updated and probably very close to finalized plans.  It seems I haven't changed my mind very much this year.  How weird.

9yo

DS#1 will start the year in our public HS charter doing 1 day/wk of electives (TBA).  If he's still asking to withdraw by mid Oct I'll pull him out.

AoPS pre-algebra

MCT Town with Killgallons

E-M Daily Science 5 and RS4K Building Blocks (not sure what level yet)

BookShark 3 history and lit (combined w/ DS#3)

E-M Daily Geography 5

Sharon Kaye philosophy level E

Gymnastics and piano, if the budget allows

5yo

DS#3 will be officially accelerating to 1st grade and enrolling in the public HS charter doing 1 day/wk at the school and 4 day/wk home.

MEP 3 and Beast Academy 3, along with Beast 2 as it is released

MCT Island with E-M Language Fundamentals 2 for capitalization and punctuation instruction/practice

E-M Daily Science 3 and RS4K Building Blocks 2 (and maybe part of 3?)

BookShark 3 history and lit (combined w/DS#1)

E-M Daily Geography 3

Sharon Kaye philosophy B

Swimming and piano, if the budget allows

• Like 1

5th grade goals:

Archery? (4-H).

Identify and solve disease outbreaks (Duke TIP epidemiology.)

Know how to survive a zombie apocalypse and thrive afterwards (Zombie-Based Geography).

Learn basic accounting (The Accounting Game by Mullis & Orloff).

Put it all in perspective by learning perspective drawing.

:laugh:

Then in the summer between 5th and 6th grade he'll be old enough to take the Red Cross Babysitting/First Aid course, and then he'll be ready to be thrown to the wolves, yes?

Okay, not sure that we'll do all of that (we've also got pre-algebra, writing, and a bunch of other subjects to tackle). But it's fun to think about.

• Like 2

I have NO homeschool plans for next year!  I will be DONE! And will clean out the curriculum shelves. Just a few more months...

I cannot fully wrap my head around the fact that I am done too. I have been eyeing the dogs wistfully and hoping they were young children who would be amenable to reading anything and everything and doing math the way kiddo was. But I know I am kidding myself. They would be very different learners and while I know that I can unschool, I don't know if I can let go of control enough to radically unschool. :laugh:

Wow! Congratulations!!!

I hope you and your students transition smoothly into this next stage!

Hugs,

Nan

• Like 1

*sigh* I'm trying to talk myself into using Saxon 6/5 next year. Our budget shrank and I don't feel comfortable spending $100+ on BA. We were given a copy of both 5/4 and 6/5, so I have them on my bookshelf. We did a few sample lessons throughout the book and he can do them all quickly, and mentally. It might just be a good practice year until he stretches that last little bit into AOPS, which I also have on the shelf.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Okay, updated and probably very close to finalized plans.  It seems I haven't changed my mind very much this year.  How weird.

9yo

DS#1 will start the year in our public HS charter doing 1 day/wk of electives (TBA).  If he's still asking to withdraw by mid Oct I'll pull him out.

AoPS pre-algebra

MCT Town with Killgallons

E-M Daily Science 5 and RS4K Building Blocks (not sure what level yet)

BookShark 3 history and lit (combined w/ DS#3)

E-M Daily Geography 5

Sharon Kaye philosophy level E

Gymnastics and piano, if the budget allows

5yo

DS#3 will be officially accelerating to 1st grade and enrolling in the public HS charter doing 1 day/wk at the school and 4 day/wk home.

MEP 3 and Beast Academy 3, along with Beast 2 as it is released

MCT Island with E-M Language Fundamentals 2 for capitalization and punctuation instruction/practice

E-M Daily Science 3 and RS4K Building Blocks 2 (and maybe part of 3?)

BookShark 3 history and lit (combined w/DS#1)

E-M Daily Geography 3

Sharon Kaye philosophy B

Swimming and piano, if the budget allows

See?  I spoke too soon.  I've decided to make some big changes after visiting a HS convention.

New plan:

9yo

- AoPS pre-algebra

- MCT Town (minus writing assignments)

- IEW All Things Fun and Fascinating

- Spelling You See lvl C

5yo

- RightStart D (2nd edition) + MEP 3 + Beast 2A and 2B as they are released and 3A as he shows interest and maturity

- IEW People and Places in the Community

- MCT Island (minus writing assignments)

- Spelling You See B

Together

- Read-alouds picked from BkSk and BYL lists

-SOTW modern times

- Fix It! Grammar 1

- Beginning swimming (neither has been in more water than a bath tub in 4+ years)

- Science I'm piecing together, roughly following the schedule of topics for the first half of BFSU 1 overlaid with RS4K Building Blocks 3, plus stuff from Developing Critical Thinking Through Science, living books, E-M Daily Science 3 (DS#3 only), and Bill Nye, Magic School Bus, and Brain Pop videos.  We might get to Quark Chronicles and Ellen McHenry Botany around the end of the school year, otherwise that'll get bumped to the beginning of next year.

There are a few other little things I'd like to throw in if/when the budget allows.  Hopefully we'll do some or all of: Sharon Kaye philosophy, something for logic, Algebra Lab Gear, piano, and/or gymnastics.

• Like 2

Ds (turning 11)

Hop camp

Swimming

Dd & Ds (turning 7)

Piano & violin

Soccer and gymnastics

I pretty much ended up here with a couple of tweaks.

DS 10

Math: Jacobs Algebra

Science & History: I bought grade 8 of BYL, which is a year of The Story of Science.  He's also going to study Astronomy through Great courses and Uzinggo for fall semester and Earth Science in spring semester.  Probably with Uzinggo.  He tags along for nature walks 50% of the time.

Literature: Build Your Library grade 8 lit and readers.  I'll probably add in some more classics as we haven't read all the ones I wanted to get to by middle school.

Grammar: MCT Literature Level (second semester)

Art: We are going to do the video class through You are An Artist, He is also going to take the Film making class from Raising DaVinci.  Artist study through Art History Kids with his younger sibs.

Geography: Pin it Maps

Writing: This is up in the air.  He doesn't love the Bravewriter projects, and was willingly writing a sci-fi novel last year so I may just do free writes and writing across curriculum, along with his personal projects

Foreign Language: Spanish through Homeschool Spanish Academy

And then on to Music: As I've mentioned, this is his passion, he takes formal piano lessons, and we were able to find him a hip hop mentor to meet with him a couple of times a month.  He is going to work on producing and learning how to be a DJ.

DD & DS 7

Math: DD will do MM, DS will do some MM before moving on to BA

Science: Spangler kits and nature journaling

History: Interest led, we'll use A Little History of the World as a jumping off point

Spelling: AAS

Literature: Arrows and Mensa Excellence in reading list

Writing: Bravewriter Jot it Down and Partnership writing

Foreign Language: Song School Spanish

Geography: Around the World Stories

Art: classes at the art museum, they will probably tag along with the chalk pastels.  Artist study through Art History Kids

Music: DD plays violin, DS plays piano

PE for everyone involves bike rides, hikes, community sports, swimming lessons, skiing & gymnastics at various times through out the year.

We are art heavy, lots of plays and trips to museums and the orchestra. Academics are still mostly interest led, I like rabbit trails!

Edited by Runningmom80

Hello!  I have been sort of in the trenches with my little ones for the past year or so, addressing a vague and mysterious regression in the older (probably related to the death of his grandfather, who lived upstairs of us).  The HG-EG-PGish thread reminded me of the variety there is in gifted children ... at any rate, it has been good to see what y'all are planning this year; here's my current plan for the older. 

(I'd not heard of the Sharon Kayes philosophy before -- thank y'all!  I printed out the PDF sample and A. is enraptured ...)

ds A, will be 12 at end of summer.

ETA: this is a work in progress... I am updating it as we finalize things ...

English

- practice in reading carefully: do orally MP-based literature for Treasure Island, Wind in the Willows, Tom Sawyer, and 19th/20th century American short stories & poetry

- independent reading from Ambleside, esp. years 6 & 7

- Classical Writing Diogenes: Maxim

- MP's English Grammar IV + MCT Grammar Town (without composition)

- All About Spelling: levels 5, 6 & 7

Math

- Math-U-See geometry

- Euclid's Elements, Book 1 (goal of at least 32 propositions, ideally all): using Heath's and Byrne's translations & notes from the Ambleside forum

- read Mathematicians are People, Too, vol. 2

Geography

- MP Geography III + AO reading

Science

- Novare's Earth Science + AO reading + Lego projects

Classical Studies.... not sure about just what we'll be doing ... one possible lineup:

- MP studies: Mills' Book of Ancient Greeks & Book of the Ancient World

- Iliad and Odyssey, Lombardo translation with Alexander for clarification, maybe Great Courses lectures

- OUP's World In Ancient times: Ancient Greece (for classics) and Ancient Southeast Asia (his choice)

- I'd love to do Aristophanes' Clouds -- though it is bawdy -- as a third trimester after the MP studies; only a middling chance that will work

Christian Studies/Theology

- Mills' People of Ancient Israel

- AO Bible schedule

Keyboarding Without Tears

IEW Poetry Memorization, continue

continue piano, which we recently re-started

Harmony Fine arts Year 7, if it isn't too stressful to include

begin martial arts

help train our puppy, arriving mid-August!!!

Edited by serendipitous journey

UPDATE

Dd2 (1st)

Singapore Math 3 & BA 2

All About Reading

Violin lessons

Ds2 (3 years old)

Singapore Essential Math

They actually decided at the last minute to fund my husband's position for another year. Also, my kids were accepted to one of the very few charters in Oregon that runs similarly to those in CA that give funds for homeschooling. So dh is still taking the test to be able to work in CA (we already spent our savings on the fees for it), but we will be able to stay here until the results come in November, and he will start looking for work down there after that.

It is a huge relief, and I am now dealing with the relatively minor stresses of trying to figure out how to make my plans for next year and have a productive beginning to the school year when I don't speak with the educational specialist or order curriculum until mid September???