Menu

7th Grade for 2017-18! Share your plans here!

ScoutTN

Science

1st half of the year - Sassafras Twins Geology. It is probably too young for him, but he likes it and it allows us to all do science together.

2nd half of the year - Logic stage Earth Science/Astronomy from Elemental Science, but only the astronomy part.

Math

AoPS Intro to Algebra. He loves math so I might get the Life of Fred books too, but I have to find a place to put them. :blushing:

Language Arts (sigh)

I was really hoping our online course would work out this year, but it has not been as demanding as it needs to be.

Writing with Skill 1

Advanced Language Lessons

Maybe Vocab from Classical Roots, but we are doing lots of Latin, so maybe not.

I need some sort of literature class too.

Latin

First Form Latin

History

Story of the World 3 with lots of outlining and more primary source docs.

Spanish

Duolingo

Getting Started with Spanish

Easy Peasy Spanish?

Logic

The Argument Builder

Music

Piano

Religion

Discover the Book of Mormon for grades 4-7

Art

I'd like to put some art study in there maybe once a week or so? Is that even possible?

Will Advanced Language Lessons be out before the next school year starts?

For my grade 7 girl

Math: BA 5 and on to LOF intro to Algebra

History/Literature/Art: BYL grade 8 world history through science, half speed ('cause there are 47 books to read!!) and weekly reading of articles from the Economist

L/A: MCT level 4, Apples and Pears Spelling for remediation

Latin: Latin For Children 2, set two of English from the Roots Up flash cards

Science: All Lab No Lecture Chemistry

Logic: Thinking Toolbox

Religion: N.T. Wright's "For Everyone" series

P.E.: swimming and karate

Music: Piano

Edited by klaw

• 2 weeks later...

OK in the two months since then a few things have changed...

Whee! 7th Grade! We will still be catching up a bit since he just came home from public school 2 months ago.

Logic: Finish Fallacy Detective, go on to Thinking Toolbox. He will probably finish FD before the end of this year.

History: Shared class with 5th grade sister. SOTW2, supplement with Horrible Histories, OUP primary source volume, Treasury of Catholic Wisdom, and Kingfisher or maaaaaybe the NatGeo Visual History. I'm just not sure I want to shell out the cash for another middle-grade history encyclopedia. But I don't want to shortchange his education, either. Maybe Kingfisher for one more year, NatGeo for 8th. The Suzanne Strauss Art "Early Times" series has been working well for us as a supplement to SOTW1 in place of Kingfisher--we are now only using Kingfisher for the "minor" countries/cultures that Art doesn't have books about. We'll keep doing that with SOTW2.

Math: Life of Fred Pre-Algebra and Khan Academy 7th Grade. Probably add on some problem sets from Saxon 76 or Algebra 1/2.

Science: Shared class with sis. BFSU Vol. 2.

Word Study: Vocab From Classical Roots C and D He probably won't finish A until the very end of the year. We'll pick up with B next year.

Reading: WTM reading list for 6th grade.

Grammar: FLL 4 with sis. Neither of them ever had any grammar education at school, so the material that we're working on now in FLL 3 is totally new to them. He truly hates FLL, so we're going to try Kilgallon's Grammar for Middle School for him while Sis continues with FLL4. They'll reunite with Advanced Language Lessons in 6th/8th. For memory work, assignments from The Harp and Laurel Wreath.

Writing: Finish WWS 1, go on to 2.

Foreign Languages: Shared class with sis. Not sure where to go with Latin after finishing GSWL, still looking for ideas. I think we'll try Familia Romana.

For Chinese, watching lots of videos and trying to get a weekly meeting with a Chinese speaker. For Japanese, continue with NHK Easy Japanese and begin using Remembering The Kanji. 

Art/Music: Not a major priority, but they like Mark Kistler's Youtube videos so we'll keep up with that. Art history where it falls in our study of history. Continue discovering that classical music can be enjoyable  :smilielol5:   I'd love for him to study an instrument, but he hasn't registered any interest since trying saxophone and getting bored with it.

Faith Formation: The Bible Tells Me So by Christian Leblanc; daily scripture from the Office of Readings. We've begun reading aloud the Mass readings for the upcoming Sunday, repeating them every day for a week. I never thought it would work, but it's actually been working well--they are absorbing so much and asking great questions! So we'll keep doing that.

I am starting to formulate a plan. :

Math : This is the easy part ;) We'll finish Chuckles the Rocket Dog and move on to Jacobs Geometry... unless we don't LOL

Science: Something Chemistry-y -- I just ordered the Ellen McHenry Bundle (The Elements and Carbon Chemistry), We'll do Crash Course Chemistry (he loves Crash Course) and some of the readings from the Guest Hollow Chemistry list (My 11th grader is also doing Chemistry and there will be some paralleling so they can be each other's lab partners and such.)

History: I think we're doing Modern American History (Post-Reconstruction to Present) (Again, this is what my 11th grader has chosen. And we'll parallel, they'll watch documentaries together and follow the timeline together but have different assignments and readings) Plus Sherlock wants to do more Geography.

English: I am not sure what we'll do. Some Lit. Maybe WWS2. Some kind of grammar workbook probably.

Greek: Elementary Greek 2

PE: Karate

Other electives -- we'll see what he picks from our Enrichment classes but I'd bet on another round of Improv. Also he's developing a proposal for a class focused on tactics and game design. We'll see what, if anything, that turns into.

• Like 2

I'm actually going to be a real homeschooled next year! After all if this lurking and dreaming... Yikes! Actual planning!

Math: BA5, then into AoPS pre-algebra. I will probably need to suppliment with some geometry (I don't plan to do them separately) and a disciplined form of practice / review.

Science: Maybe Building Foundations for Scientific Understanding (middle school) but with plenty of interest-led research topics. I also want some focus on the scientific method: the process and it's reasoning -- not just scientific information. (Does BF have that?)

Social Studies, History: A quick chronological orientation from Story of the Witld, before doing Canadian History through CBC videos, study guides, a textbook and related historical fiction.

Social Studies, Geography: Canadian maps and games.

Writing: Maybe Writers in Residence? Any experience with that? I was also thinking of brave writer, but I don't really "get it" as curriculum. Do either of these cover structured essays? I don't know if I want to do a dedicated grammar program.

Reading: I want to do literature and response, including some Shakespeare (as you like it, and 12th night are being produced locally this year) and the historical fiction from Social Studies, and some Canadian literature, and some of the 'important books' for this age group, and some poetry, and some good novels! I hope I can get my head around a model for how to 'study' (not just read) my selections. I may purchase some unit studies (BYL?) just to get myself started. I've heard good things about Mosdos, but I can't tell how heavily American they are. Thoughts?

Health and Life Skills: an ongoing budgeting exercise, some studies on emotions and mental health, human sexuality.

Bible / Religion: a chronological study from The Gospel Project, starting in Genesis; introduction to Biblical Greek; various devotional and spiritual practices; youth group.

Art: something online.

Music: online piano "lessons" from Hoffman.

French: maybe just duolingo. Maybe WTMA (any reviews?)

Logic: still thinking. Ideas?

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My oldest is going into 7th grade this coming school year. I have taken a break and used virtual school for the past 2 years, so I was able to get my youngest up to speed. I am getting her out of the virtual school and I am now planning for our curriculum. There are lots here that I have never heard before, so I have a lot of work ahead before I decide on anything. We have used Singapore up to now and have not yet investigate how it is for 7th grade. May consider changing it. I will need to get all the curriculum for her. An avid and faster reader, loves to write and does the work too fast. We do violin all year and next year I may enroll them in a science program near us, which is very resourceful and wonderful program. I saw something about CTY and that got me interested. Can anyone here share some experiences?

Thank you. I will be reading all teh posts on this thread and get more familiar with the curriculum you are all using.

Miriam

I saw something about CTY and that got me interested. Can anyone here share some experiences?

My daughter took the test today to see if she is eligible to take courses through Johns Hopkins CTY.  We have no experience (other than the test), but I post this just so you know that you must go through the testing before you can sign up.

I saw something about CTY and that got me interested. Can anyone here share some experiences?

My daughter took the test today to see if she is eligible to take courses through Johns Hopkins CTY.

Both my boys (6th & 7th grades) have taken CTY JHU classes. My kids are qualified through 12th grade using their ACT scores. You can also qualify with SAT scores or SCAT scores. What courses are you looking at?

• Like 1

Both my boys (6th & 7th grades) have taken CTY JHU classes. My kids are qualified through 12th grade using their ACT scores. You can also qualify with SAT scores or SCAT scores. What courses are you looking at?

My rising 7th grade STEM kid needs a science class. Do you have any recommendations?

She recently took a very extensive life science/biology course, so she doesn't want to take that again.  She is leaning toward the middle school physical science class.  For 8th grade, she may take chemistry, but maybe that would be too hard for her...?

My rising 7th grade STEM kid needs a science class. Do you have any recommendations?

She recently took a very extensive life science/biology course, so she doesn't want to take that again. She is leaning toward the middle school physical science class. For 8th grade, she may take chemistry, but maybe that would be too hard for her...?

CTY's middle school science courses are using Plato (Edmentum) while many of the high school science courses use Thinkwell. We did not think it was worth paying so much. My oldest did physics with Clover Creek Physics and enjoyed it but morningglory (Jetta)'s class is already full for 2017/18. He is doing Thinkwell Chemistry now and since it is self-paced, it wasn't hard as he just goes at his own pace.

However my current 6th grader might do AP Physics 1 & 2 with CTY in the future as that is textbook based. My husband and I can help him with physics but my boys do better answering to someone else. They use the College Physics book by Knight and there are labs to be done.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

Youngest is 11, and wouldn't turn 12 till November. But in our area that would have him starting 7th grade this September. 

Writing: IEW Continuation Course B, and Speech Boot Camp. I might add in something from the Great Courses. I have discovered that neither or my boys can write on Mondays. So, on Mondays for writing we have been watching stuff. 
Grammar: IEW grammar or special tutoring in grammar, editing, and polishing his written work. 

Spelling: (Yes we still need this) Sequential Spelling and phonics as applied to spelling rules 

Math: Finish Singapore Math, and start AOPS. 
French: Finish his tree in Duolingo. Listen to French picture books... A bunch of other stuff. Just using and doing stuff his brother already did. It has worked out so far, so I'll just keep winging it. 
Music: Piano RCM grade 3 (According to the rules in my area RCM piano grade 7 earns a student a grade 11 credit, and RCM piano grade 8 earns a student a grade 12 credit)

Study Skills: How to be a superstar student from the Great Courses (done with his older brother)
Science: Read various books, listen to audo books, watch documentaries...

Computers: I don't know yet. (done with his older brother)

• Like 1

Just when I think I have everything nailed down for next year, I go to write it down and I find more question marks!

Math - We've had success with Math Mammoth so I'm leaning towards MM7.  I've looked at AoPS Pre-algebra, but wonder if it will frustrate an already easily frustratable math student.  

Science - He wants to study astronomy, but it feels like Apologia astronomy is too elementary.  I've looked at some resources on Amazon, but haven't settled on anything.  Suggestions welcome!

History - He wants to study the Wrold Wars.  I'm super excited about that and so is he.  Putting together a bunch of resources.

Writing - We've had great success with Jump In so I think we are going to use Writers in Residence.  That will cover grammar also.

Literature - we will focus on books related to our World Wars study.

Geography - I've looked at the Trail Guide books.  Still uncertain...

Bible - We do a Bible reading plan every year, but I think I'm going to look at something more formal as well.

Some things I am still looking at are Digital Photography, possibly start a foreign language (would use Duolingo), computer, and music lessons.  

I have this weird thing in my head that 7th grade is our last year to pursue interest led subjects...  I have a freshman this year, and the rest of his high school is fairly mapped out to meet graduation requirements and 8th grade feels like the year to get subjects in and solid before starting high school.  I hate that feeling...

• Like 1

Science - He wants to study astronomy, but it feels like Apologia astronomy is too elementary.  I've looked at some resources on Amazon, but haven't settled on anything.  Suggestions welcome!

WTMA offers Astronomy for the logic stage. You could see what books they are using?! 

I have recently read Dava Sobel's The Planets and it is accessible for an interested/motivated middle school student.

• Like 1

At this point I am trying to learn the options out there and get the moving to be ready for the next school year. Since I have been out for 2 years, I need to see what else is out there for my daughter. Sounds like a wonderful program and I would probably contemplate Writing courses for her as she loves writing.

For sure:

BJU Press Life Science

BJU Press Writing and Grammar/Explorations in Literature

BJU Press Spanish 1

Notgrass From Adam to Us for History

Plague! Problem-based learning by Dr. Shelagh Gallagher

I'm stuck on math. My daughter struggles with math and we've hit a brick wall with Teaching Textbooks and Christian Light Education. I need something similar to Teaching Textbooks that does the teaching for me. 

• Like 1

Here is where we are at the moment:

Writing: LTOW Jessica Chow(Tuesday 10-11)

Math: prep for AOPS Pre-algebra (finish Zeta, all BA 4 & 5)

Grammar: Fix It! 3

Latin: finish Latin for Children A, start Latin Alive 1

Foreign Language: Swedish continuation vi after school class for expats

Art: Artistic Pursuits 3 (with artsy younger brother)

Music: piano & choir

Logic: Art of Argument, maybe online (M & W 10:30-11:45)

Spelling: finish AAS 7

Typing

History:VP Omnibus 1 Primary + Lit

Character: Laying Down the Rails

Science: apologia zoology 1, 2 & 3 (not actively participating)

Science: Ellen McHenry Elements & Carbon Chemistry

If I add Build Your Library 7 to this will it be too much? (We will use the McHenry science in lieu of the Elemental Chemistry)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by MDL
  • Like 1

7th Grade Son preliminary plans:

Math: Pre-A with DO or Jann in TX

English: Finish IEW SWI-B or outsource WWS via WTMA; Grammar (R&S6 or AG or ALL); praying he'll want to read more; Modern Speller (studied dictation)

History: Early Modern era. SOTW 3 with sibs. perhaps. Not sure. Streamlined and straightforward. 

Science: A&P (Fulbright book) or Abeka 7 or Berean Builders plus AOy7 books; microscope unit

Electives/Enrichment: Bible, Memory Work, EFTRU, Logic, Visual Latin 1 (with siblings), Athletics (gym, rugby).

Edited by abrightmom
  • Like 2

English: IEW CC level B, and Speech Boot Camp, Fix it Grammar, Sequential Spelling

Math: AOPS Prealgebra

French: Duolingo, Memrise, Reading and Listening to Books, Likely a weekly French Tutur

Music: Weekly piano lessons

Health and PE: Running club, Indoor rock climbing, Learning to downhill ski

Reading: Reading non-fiction books

Study Skills: How to be Superstar Student (From the Great Courses) Done with brother.

Computer Science: I don't know what to do. Youngest will do this alongside his brother. I'm planning to award this elder brother a highschool credit for this course. 

• Like 1

7th Grade Son preliminary plans:

Math: Pre-A with DO or Jann in TX

English: Finish IEW SWI-B or outsource WWS via WTMA; Grammar (R&S6 or AG or ALL); praying he'll want to read more; Modern Speller (studied dictation)

History: Early Modern era. SOTW 3 with sibs. perhaps. Not sure. Streamlined and straightforward. 

Science: A&P (Fulbright book) or Abeka 7 or Berean Builders plus AOy7 books; microscope unit

Electives/Enrichment: Bible, Memory Work, EFTRU, Logic, Visual Latin 1 (with siblings), Athletics (gym, rugby).

Can you tell me what DO or Jann in TX is? I'm still searching all of the Pre-A threads and trying to figure out if I want to tackle BJU for just.one.more.year. or not. *sigh*

Also, is your microscope unit homemade?

Thanks!

Can you tell me what DO or Jann in TX is? I'm still searching all of the Pre-A threads and trying to figure out if I want to tackle BJU for just.one.more.year. or not. *sigh*

Thanks!

DO is Derek Owens

Jann in Tex is the WTM boardie who runs My Homeschool Math Class. (.com)

Both get great reviews and I'm thinking one or both for my twins when they get to algebra.

• Like 1

Plans for 7th Grade DD:

Math- Saxon 8/7

Language Arts-

- Finish Mosdos Pearl, lit units from BW and Novel Ties (this is not set in stone, still in progress)

- Grammar- Easy Grammar

- Vocabulary- Word Roots Level 1

- Writing instruction will be a mix of EIW, BW ideas, and whatever else I find

Science- RSO Bio 2  (possibly adding some Mel and Gerty or Nitty Gritty Science units for a science notebook)

History- The focus in Modern History, but we are not using any textbooks.  I plan to get a timeline, and let her choose Who Was.... books, as well as other fiction and non-fiction books, and just let her read.  The focus will be on inventors, helpers, and women in history- she has had enough of slavery and wars and would like to read about the good people did in history instead of the violence and destruction. 

Other plans include a typing course- we have Mickeys Typing but I want something more, we also plan to finally join a co-op this fall- not sure how that will turn out, but I have hopes of it working out!

• Like 1

Let's see....

WRITING: Mom teaches each genre - one per month and runs off of our history readings.

GRAMMAR: Easy Grammar & Dictations

HISTORY: Canada 🇨🇦

GEOGRAPHY: Labelling & Drawing Canada

SCIENCE: BJU ... but only Reading and answering the questions in the textbook.

FRENCH: DuoLingo

TECHNOLOGY: Would take me a day to list everything... he's a "techy". :)

BIBLE: As a family....read, discussion, memory verses, etc.

MUSIC: Guitar

ART STUDY, HYMN STUDY, DRAWING: As family

I'm sure I'm missing something.... oh well. There you have it :)

• Like 1

Let's see....

WRITING: Mom teaches each genre - one per month and runs off of our history readings.

GRAMMAR: Easy Grammar & Dictations

HISTORY: Canada 🇨🇦

GEOGRAPHY: Labelling & Drawing Canada

SCIENCE: BJU ... but only Reading and answering the questions in the textbook.

FRENCH: DuoLingo

TECHNOLOGY: Would take me a day to list everything... he's a "techy". :)

BIBLE: As a family....read, discussion, memory verses, etc.

MUSIC: Guitar

ART STUDY, HYMN STUDY, DRAWING: As family

I'm sure I'm missing something.... oh well. There you have it :)

Math?!

• Like 1

After homeschooling for 18 years, I will only have my youngest two next year.  Because of that and because I'm doing a lot of writing at home, our homeschooling looks a bit different. I've wondered whether it's still serving my youngest or whether they need something else. But, last week, I sat down, mapped out next year for both of them (5th and 7th) and really affirmed both my desire AND reasons for homeschooling. That said, we'll be outsourcing a few things this year. 

Here's what's on tap so far for my 7th grade ds who needs some challenging:

Math: Pre-algebra with a local classical tutorial 2x a week

Science: Life science with a local classical tutorial 2x a week

Language Arts: R & S English 7
                           WWS 2

Spelling Workout next level (is it F? or G?) 

Continue memorizing Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization

Geography: with WTMA in the fall

delight directed history study in the spring

Bible: personal devotion with youth group at church

family Bible study through Exodus, discussion, scripture memory

Socratic Discussion: with WTMA in the spring

Reading List, Discussion and Read Aloud List

Either beginning trumpet or guitar lessons

Typing

Basketball at private school 

I have this weird thing in my head that 7th grade is our last year to pursue interest led subjects...  I have a freshman this year, and the rest of his high school is fairly mapped out to meet graduation requirements and 8th grade feels like the year to get subjects in and solid before starting high school.  I hate that feeling...

I feel that way as well! Things get soooo serious and time gets so scarce once kids hit high school. I know all too well that the years of being able to take off for the beach to do a planet walk or a day at the art museum are fleeting! I'm planning to really enjoy the freedom and exploration and discovery that homeschooling allows. 

• Like 3

7th grade is kind of freaking me out!  We're still getting our feet under us as far as homeschooling goes and high school seems so close!  Here's what I have so far.

Math - he takes a class locally offered through our university for accelerated middle school kids.  They will be doing geometry and some pre-calc.

Reading - book list to be determined, I am thinking of working through a couple of MP lit guides

Grammar/other language arts - MCT, Vocabulary from Classical Roots, Figuratively Speaking

Writing - BW co-op, plus I still have IEW that I never used this year, so I think we will work slowly through that.

Science - RSO Biology

HIstory - History Odyssey middle ages

Geography - Mapping the world with art

Spanish - continue Duolingo and GSWS, add something to beef it up, and begin either Latin or French

logic - ??

music - piano, cello

art - possibly Artistic Pursuits

PE - ??

• 3 weeks later...

Math -finish Saxon 8/7 and start an algebra program, probably not Saxon. My husband was one credit short of a math minor, so I'm going to let him pick the math courses from here on. As long as the book has clear explanations and a solutions manual, I'm happy. I never went beyond calculus, so I don't know what would be helpful to prepare for upper level math.

History-we finished SOTW4, so we're going to start the year with prehistory and then do SOTW1. We won't quite get to the Romans, but this kid has never done ancient history, so I want to give her time with all the cultures to do lots of supplemental reading. Instead of assigning chapters from library books, this year we'll try assigning the hour after lunch for history, and I'll just put all the library books in a bin and let the kids choose what they want to read each day. She will have to take notes/draw for everything she reads, in addition to various projects.

Science-finish her biology textbook (taking notes/drawing), and then start another science in the spring. I'll let her pick.

Language Arts

Literature: at least the Bible, The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and another Shakespeare. She needs to have read those to get more out of what I have planned for 8th grade lit. I may use Fridays for poetry/short stories, depending on how everything fits. This kid gobbles up books. We may pace slowly through the above books in the mornings, and I feed her less intense stuff for the evenings.

Composition: alternating weeks of Writing Strands 5 and free writing (writing another novel, short stories, or just journal writing). We may spend a few weeks submitting works for writing contests.

Vocab: Vocab from Classical Roots A

Spanish: Avancemos 2, maybe watching Destinos for fun or other tv shows in Spanish

Logic: Orbiting with Logic, Python with Minecraft, Fallacy Detective, and variety puzzles

Art: We'll continue with art journaling and projects. This year though, there will be a lot of choices. I'm striving more for inspiration than must-do projects. We may also do an outside class, if I can find one close enough.

Health/PE: topics on disabilities and mental illnesses, biking and various games that take advantage of her imaginative nature to get her moving more

Skills: I dropped the ball this last year, and have hardly taught her how to cook anything. We know so many people here who don't cook at all, and I don't want her to be dependent on restaurants for the rest of her life. I really need to schedule kitchen time so it actually gets done.

This kid spent a lot of the last year in "imagination land", so I'm trying to give her room to indulge her muse. Soon enough, she'll be locked into college prep, and I think it'll be good having a year to breathe while working through the hormones.

Ruth

History-Biblioplan

Geography-US states study,Drawing Around the USA

Math- MM7

Science-Apologia General Science(I THINK) and a more formal Nature Study

LA-Killgallon Paragraphs for Middle School, AG-season 1, Literature w Biblioplan and book guides

Spelling-Apples & Pears D

Spanish-Duolingo, EP

Art-Home Art Studio

• 2 weeks later...

Language Arts - Holt Literature 7, Write Source, Novel Studies (Treasure Island, Hobbit, Anne of Green Gables, ? MP Guides)

Math - Glencoe Mathematics Middle School Course 2. 

Science - Glencoe General Science Middle School Course 2

Social Studies - Holt World Geography, Sheppard Software Online Map Games, Amazon Prime Free Country Documentaries

Foreign Language - Glencoe Bon Voyage 1A (first 1/2 high school text)

Elective - Music - Piano Lessons, Practice and Composer/Genre study.

Supplemental - IXL entire, Study Island for mostly Math, CNN Student News, Scholastic Science World & Jr. Scholastic Magazines, Tinker Crate, Glencoe Introducing Art/World Art as we study regions, Glencoe Teen Health 3, Percy Jackson Greek Gods, Critical Thinking digital programs (various), tons of read alouds, and independent reading.

Edited by J&JMom

I'm going to post, even though I'm still planning. It will make me feel better to write it out like I'm really getting this nailed down. :)

Math: Lial's PreA with Jann in TX

Comp: Essentials in Writing 7

Lit: Maybe Essentials in Literature?? Or Mosdos? Or books along with Figuratively Speaking? Not sure...

History: probably Notgrass America the Beautiful

Science: I think I'll try a mish-mash, interest-led type of year, although I'm a bit scared to do it! I'm thinking: microscope with a good slide kit, paired with Tiner's World of Biology. That will probably just cover one semester, so we will see where to go from there.

He's still working on typing.

AAS 7 book (yay! to finishing this finally!)

• 2 weeks later...

Math: Saxon 76 M-Th. Fridays: Balance Math, Dragonbox. Hoping to get to AOPS Pre-Algebra in the spring.  

Writing: NaNoWriMo (creative) first semester. IEW-B (formal) second semester with DownWrite Funny exercises as a creative outlet.

Grammar/Vocab/Lit Studies/Reading Comp: Workbooks, about 12-15 pages per week. Glencoe Grammar 7. Vocabulary in Action. Figuratively Speaking, Evan Moor Daily Science/Skill Sharpeners.

Literature (Reading): Homegrown booklist, either a study guide or one essay per book. Easy classics, historic, sci-fi. Hoping to do 1-2 books per month plus a short course on poetry.

Literature (Read aloud): Homegrown booklist, discussion-only class, no assignments. Harder classics, big-idea books, war, contemporary. Probably one book per month.

US History: Hakim's Story of US C&D (Civil War to modern) plus study guide, readings, videos, movies.

Science: Outsourcing earth / physical / life rotation. If we bring this back in-house, we will do Exploration Education. 

Basic IT: Homegrown class. Will cover hardware, OSes, hard drive organization, maintenance / diligence, troubleshooting, server setup, networking, etc. Will build gaming computer first semester, also planning to use Google's internet safety program.

Critical Thinking: Various mind-bender workbooks. One workable problem per week. 

Music: Guitar lessons. Outsourced music appreciation class. 

Art/PE: Outsourced classes. 

Spanish: Maybe. Pretty sure we cannot fit this in. PowerGlide and Spanish is Fun are on deck if we commit to this.

Edited by dori123

R&S English with WTM/CM writing. Studied dictation. Homegrown lit.

MUS Pre-Algebra

SCM History/Geography/Bible: Module 4

Interest led science with Tiner books, extra reading, documentaries and family units from Berean Builders

The Thinking Toolbox

Duolingo with Getting Started with Spanish

Enrichment/CM extras with the family

Typing

French horn and Piano

We've made some changes. Still need some ideas for what to do after MM7. 

Does anyone have any good online basic computer classes? Just maybe basic Word skills? 

Bella 7th. 

Need suggestions for what comes after MM7.

Summer: Typing, WTMA online study skills, veritas press to 1815

In the last month, not much school has been accomplished due to my last month of nursing school. Summer is going to be "catch up" for LA and Maths. Our library is also having 2 coding camps and I'm looking at bitsbox.

Language Arts:
Outsourcing writing (WTMA, Time4writing, bravewriter)? We have really liked Time4Writing. She will do MS mechanics, mechanics and maybe essay.
Eltl level tbd. Ideally finish 5 We did not like ELTL. We will do some sentence diagramming and keep reading.
R&S Spelling 7&8

Maths:
Finish Mm7 and into...?
Singapore CWP 6

Arts:
Guitar She chose piano instead.
Drawing class?

Mapping the World Through Art

PE:
Lax training, Soccer, Basketball and a Healthy Kids running club.

Health: 

Human Body Studies. She currently has plans to be an orthopedic surgeon. Who knows!

Science: undecided. Hoping to outsource an in person lab science

History:
Veritas press?
Some sort of world history overview?? I think Mapping the World Through Art will help with this.

Logic:
Fallacy Detective or AoA. We are using "Crime Scene Whodunits" since she is very into crime scene stuff lately. If I can find something else we may keep on that track.

Misc:
ASL (local) She is loving this class.
Basic computer class (online?)
FL?
Scouts: she will be working on her silver award.
Lego/NASA engineering club

Grammar - Tentatively Kolbe/VOE 8, but we may want to shake things up some...The VOE books look the same year to year.  And, he hates diagramming.

Literature/History/Composition/Geography - Tapestry of Grace, Yr 3 Dialectic, 1-on-1 tutor, ~30 books for general history and ~6 books for literature including the intermediate C.S. Lewis texts

Math - AOPS Algebra

Science - Wilson Hill Physical Science/Physics 1 using May's text

Religion, Spanish 1 - Kolbe Self Paced w/ online language lab and outsourced grading

Study Skills Homeroom - Something online that Kolbe put in place this year

Art/Music - Piano Lessons w/ Music History, possibly some projects for composing his own music using synthesizer for his own youtube videos.

Self-Directed - Programming (Ruby Language) and Advanced Video Editing using Lightworks/Houdini

Sports - Local gym has general fitness twice/week + squash 1-2 times/week, otherwise at least 1hr/day in pool or on treadmil

Optional - If I could, I'd push greek/latin on him too, but I don't think he'll let me, he already did 2 yrs of latin and hated it.

• 3 weeks later...

Math:

Math Mammoth 7B and then??

Singapore Challenging Word Problems 6

LA: 

Comprehension (weak area): Alternating Reading Detective, Evan Moor Daily Comprehension

Spelling: Rod and Staff 8

Writing: Time4Writing mechanics & essay (did paragaphs last semester and it was great, but I think she could use the mechanics).

Grammar: Glencoe diagramming

Misc: Working on outlines 

Foreign Languages: 

Local ASL 2 class

Getting Started with Spanish (I want her to have some exposure, but she is resistant).

Art: 

Mapping the World Through Art

Music; 
Self guided Piano

History: 

Crash Course World History 2

Misc Social Studies:

You Decide Bill of Rights books

Computer: 

Typingtest.com a few times a week to hone skills

Webcutor free self paced classes for word, excel and powerpoint. 

Religion: 

A Content Heart

Science: 

Earth History and Evolution by S. J. Bull on Teachers Pay Teachers

Microscope Skills (no formal curriculum as of yet)

Skeletal System Study (She currently wants to be an orthopedic surgeon. I have a model and will put something together).

Health: 

Soccer/Lax/Basketball and Cool Kids Running Club

Human Body Book 

Logic: 

Logic Lift off

Whodunnit Crime Scene 

Art of Argument?

She is also working on her Silver Award through Girl Scouts. We are hoping to join a coop and she will continue with her NASA/Lego Engineering class. 

Edited by mysticmomma

Language Arts - Holt Literature 7 anthology for reading and writing, Novel Studies (Anne of Green Gables, Treasure Island, Tom Sawyer, The Giver), Grammar (IXL and Moby Max), daily fiction read aloud and independent goals

Math - Glencoe Mathematics Course 2 with IXL & Moby Max

Science - Glencoe Science 7 with labs (virtual and hands-on). Documentaries and field trips as appropriate.  Weekly nonfiction read aloud tie in

Socials Studies - Holt McDougal World Geography with lots of documentaries, projects, field trips, and CNN 10.  Weekly nonfiction read aloud tie in

Elective: French - Bon Voyage 1A and DuoLingo

Elective: Music - Piano Lessons, Practice, & Theory with a composer study or two

Misc. once a week classes:  Health (Teen Health Course 3), Greek Mythology, Critical Thinking Company games, and anything else I can think up. 

Bible: Bible Road Trip Y1

Math: Math Lessons for a Living Education 6 then moving to Principles in Mathematics. 

Language Arts: Good and Beautiful level 4 then moving to 5. This includes Art as well. Adding AO Y4 selections . 

History: Good and Beautiful level 1 and probably alternate each unit with a term of AO Y4 history.

Science is really up in the air. My plans to continue with another of McHenry's awesome Basement Workshop books flopped when I saw how deep Cells go. I don't think we are ready for that one yet. I am comtemplating AO Y6 The Sea Around Us and ??? I dunno. I am hunting ideas myself. 

Math-- AOPS Intro to Geometry. AOPS Counting and Probablity. Finish last three chapter of AOPS Intro to Algebra before beginning Geometry.  AOPS C & P is her summer fun math.

History-- Notgrass From Adam to Us

Grammar-- MCT Magic Lens 2, 4Practice 2. I am tired of the repetition and may look for something else. â€‹Growing with Grammar 7 (easy review, to cover some diagramming, and I already had it)

Vocab-- MCT Word Within the Word 2

Writing-- not sure yet. Might use MCT AAW 1 since I have it. Might just work on an essay a week. Essentials in Writing 7

Literature-- Figuratively Speaking, Notgrass literature. She reads a lot on her own. And she wants to do Essentials in Literature 7

Science-- Little Passports Science Expedition. Ellen McHenry's Mapping the Body with Art. â€‹Starting out the year with Biology labs with older brother. Ellen McHenry's  Protozoa, a unit on Horses, and who knows! This is mostly self-directed.

French-- Memoria Press First Start French. Finish book 1 and start book 2. Duolingo

PE-- she is an optionals level competitive gymnast and goes 20 hours a week

Greek - Elementary Greek 1(purposely chose an easy Greek due to her busy schedule)

Czech - New Czech Step by Step, Duolingo

Edited by GeoKitty

• 2 weeks later...

Finish AOPS pre-algebra and start Intro to Algebra

GHF: Story of Science Einstein Adds A New Dimension

GHF: Advanced Computer Science Concepts, Simulation and Game Design

Continue WWS1

IEW Fix-It

Finish Barton Reading and Spelling

Lots of good books

Continue with company dance and piano

• 2 weeks later...

More changes!! Does anybody else think the planning is the most fun part? Or is it just me...?  :leaving:

Logic: Finish Fallacy Detective, go on to Thinking Toolbox. We're going to do Art of Argument. Logic is right now the only class that is successfully connecting to his everyday life, so I want to go deeper with it.

History: Shared class with 5th grade sister. SOTW2, supplement with Horrible Histories, OUP primary source volume, Treasury of Catholic Wisdom, and Kingfisher or maaaaaybe the NatGeo Visual History. I'm just not sure I want to shell out the cash for another middle-grade history encyclopedia. But I don't want to shortchange his education, either. Maybe Kingfisher for one more year, NatGeo for 8th. History is the class I care about the most, so I keep changing things. SOTW2, supplement with Horrible Histories and the OUP Medieval and Early Modern World series. I've spent a ridiculous amount of time with a spreadsheet making sure there's an OUP chapter or HH book for almost every section of SOTW2. (If anybody wants the spreadsheet, feel free to PM me and I'll share the Google Doc.) I'm dropping Kingfisher for him, but he'll still be placing dates on the timeline from HH and OUP. He'll do a formal outline for 1 OUP chapter per week and make lists of facts for the others. There are still a few gaps in the spreadsheet that I'll fill in with docummentaries, and/or activity content from the SOTW Activity Book. Phew!

Math: Life of Fred Pre-Algebra and Khan Academy 7th Grade.

Science: Shared class with sis. BFSU Vol. 2. Remainder of Vol. 1 will take us most of next year. I suck at keeping to the science schedule  :closedeyes: 

Word Study: Vocab From Classical Roots C and D B and C

Reading: WTM reading list for 6th grade.

Grammar: FLL 4 with sis. Neither of them ever had any grammar education at school, so the material that we're working on now in FLL 3 is totally new to them. He hates FLL so much! He picks up on the concepts very quickly and is frustrated by little sis' slow pace. So little sis will keep going with FLL, but I'm going to try Kilgallon's Grammar for Middle School with him. For the memory work component, I'll be making selections from the Dialectic section of The Harp and Laurel Wreath for him.

Writing: Finish WWS 1, go on to 2.

Foreign Languages: Shared class with sis. Not sure where to go with Latin after finishing GSWL, still looking for ideas. For Chinese, watching lots of videos and trying to get a weekly meeting with a Chinese speaker. For Japanese, continue with NHK Easy Japanese and begin using Remembering The Kanji. I've started teaching a co-op Japanese class they're participating in. Considering shelling out for remembr.it Chinese character course, since Chinese ain't my language. We dropped Latin from the curriculum last year due to the library's single copy of GSWL going missing, so we'll start from the beginning again this year.

Art/Music: Not a major priority, but they like Mark Kistler's Youtube videos so we'll keep up with that. Art history where it falls in our study of history. Continue discovering that classical music can be enjoyable  :smilielol5:   I'd love for him to study an instrument, but he hasn't registered any interest since trying saxophone and getting bored with it. Co-op art class.

Faith Formation: The Bible Tells Me So by Christian Leblanc; daily scripture from the Office of Readings. I'm also going to have them do Sunday School this year. I have a prejudice against Sunday School due to bad experiences in childhood, but they're different kids and this is a different church, so I'm hoping they'll both enjoy it and learn something. (Neither of those things happened for me at Sunday School growing up.)

• Like 1

Does anybody else think the planning is the most fun part? Or is it just me...?

:001_wub:  to plan!!! 

Here's my plan so far for my youngest:

Math: 

finish Teaching Textbooks Algebra I (he's about 1/2 way through...we took it slow last year since he's so far ahead in Math)

Language Arts:

Writing and Rhetoric Book 5

Fix It! Book 2

Memoria Press Literature 6th Grade pack (This might be a bit on the easy side for him but he's really interested in the books which is a *huge* win!  He's not a reluctant reader but I have a hard time finding texts he enjoys...that's not Star Wars.  And he does better if he has a book with assignments to keep him on track)

Science:

Earth Science - still deciding

A few weeks of Entomology - piecing together, may wait until Spring to really dive into this

History:

Undecided

Decided to hold off on history this year.  Next year he'll do World History with his sister and I'll count it towards HS. 

Critical Thinking/Logic:

Logic puzzles and maybe some Critical Thinking Co. books

Piano lessons

Edited by Heather in OK

• 4 weeks later...

Edited my first post to account for 7th grade brain fog and the challenge inherent in outsourcing some classes. Deadlines!  :svengo:  :svengo:  :svengo:

Skipping Logic and Grammar for this year. Trying to do the basics really well and just go with that. 

She has lots of extra curriculars and doesn't want to drop any of them, so we will see how the schedule goes.