Menu

2017-2018 6th Grade Planning Thread

frugalmamatx

Well, I'm still figuring out this year, but I'll play. These are mostly guesses.

Math: AoPS

Language Arts: He's surprisingly getting into writing so I'm going to try to find something fun that will nurture this. Maybe a bravewriter class or two

Literature: Bravewriter Boomerang club

Spanish: Homeschool Spanish academy

Science: Astronomy - we are going to join a local astronomy club and maybe I'll find a coursera or great courses for him

History: Undecided. We are currently studying US history with The History of US, and he's just "meh" about it. I'll have to see how far we get since it's February and we are only on book 2. (Insert eye roll here.)

Computer science: I'd like him to do an online class, he's not a fan of online classes but he will make an exception for more coding / computer skills

He plays piano and will do swim team this summer

I figured this out within the last week.  I realized that I have a kid who needs to be challenged or he gets unmotivated, quickly. 

Math:  We are going to do Jacobs instead of AoPS.  He is accelerated and good at math, but he doesn't love it and I just don't see him doing well with it.  I was feeling inadequate about this but I'm over it and we are going to have a great time with Harold Jacobs.  Also Middle School Family math and Real World Algebra

Language Arts: Bravewriter for writing, he will finish up FO, and then do an online workshop, probably something fiction based. MCT Literature Level for grammar, Boomerangs or Boomerang book club for Lit. Also planning a Shakespeare study probably during the second semester. He does an afterschool creative writing program 2 days a week as well.

Spanish: HSA - We are so happy with this.

Science:  Astronomy with Uzinggo, (we've been really happy with this too) and Great courses plus.  He's also going to join a local astronomy club and go star watching. I might try to get him to read The Story of Science again, but I'm also contemplating having him do BYL 8th grade next year to go through them all then.  We'll see.

History: Second half of Hakim's History of US along with Pin-It maps and the Big Fat Notebook of US History

Art: You are an Artist video course on chalk pastels, classes at the art museum, continue with random artist studies.

Music: This is his "thing."  He's playing the piano officially, drums unofficially.  He writes and produces music on garage band and will be doing a couple of hip hop camps this summer. I am going to hopefully leave the afternoons free for him to work on this.

Okay, I'm in a better mood now to post what I would like to use for my ds for 6th grade. :)

Math - teaching textbooks 6

History - SOTW 2

Steck Vaughn spelling 6

Language arts- ... hopefully get the new wtm language arts program coming out after FLL 4... hint hint ;)

BJU reading 6

Science- ??

Changing this up a bit

Math - teaching textbooks 6

History- Bookshark level 5

Language arts - advanced language lessons

Writing- writing with skill level 1

Science - Bookshark level 5

Literature- Bookshark level 5

Art - weekly outsourced lessons

PE - soccer and football

Keyboarding class

• Like 2

Next year I won't be teaching at co-op and the kids have asked for a break anyways to get back to "home" schooling. I still might try teaching a few classes, but at home, for science and writing/literature. We'll see.

Here is what ds and I have been thinking about for 6th grade:
btw, this is my kid who doesn't want to grow up and just loves being a kid...... he's not wanting to be a middle schooler so we are going to ease into this stage. I'm letting him call the shots with some subjects!

Math: CLE 5/6

Spelling: AAS (I may create a student book for him to work independently or use Phonetic Zoo on my shelf)

Writing: IEWs new World History Theme book(coming out in summer) with Bravewriter sprinkled in..... he is enjoying our Bravewriter Co-op class this year!    I'm undecided at this point, still. IEW, Bravewriter, or Jump In! May need to get his input.

Taking a grammar break for sixth grade. He has completed FLL 1-4 and is almost through Jr. AG...... We'll just discuss grammar through writing. He has earned it!

History: Oak Meadow 7th grade World History..... folding in Project Passport with a quick unit on Greece/Rome at his request.

Decided against OM, too much cost. I have on the shelf.... History Odyssey, Usborne History Encyclopedia, Big Fat History Notebook, Story of Mankind (already completed SOTW)..... we may take the WTM approach adding in activities through Project Passport and videos. Less time on History and more time on Science this year, at his request!

Literature: OM lit list......replacing some with what we have already..... finding BW Arrow or Boom guides for the ones he picks.
Summer of the Monkeys
Shakespeare Play ?
Biography of Charles Dickens; Oliver Twist or A Christmas Carol
Lyddie
Amelia Earhart
Mama's Bank Account
Journey to America
Helen Keller
Goodbye, Vietnam
Zlata's Diary
A Single Shard

Most likely using Arrow guides/books since that went well this year..... some lit tied in with history, some of his choosing.
Throw in short stories, poetry teatime, and Shakespeare

Science: It's going to be hard to top Elements and Carbon Chemistry that I am teaching at co-op this year. Ds has loved it!
He decided on OM 5th grade Science...... he wanted a more general science for 6th. OM will include Environmental, Life, & Physical.

We'll throw in Ellen McHenry where we can! (Thrilled about Ellen's new Rocks & Dirt unit!!! Completing this before we start OM.... skipping Life Science section in OM since we will devote 7th grade year to Life)
https://www.facebook.com/EllenMcHenrysBasementWorkshop/posts/1433298783359459:0

Spanish: our wonderful Tudor  Our schedule didn't work out for our tutor, so we will continue with suggested videos, games, and vocab through the year.

Fallacy Detective, continue Art, Guitar, Krav Maga/Fight Club, Typing

Ongoing Project:  Remodeling his schoolbus into a boys hangout!! He's making headway.....

Edited by Murrayshire
  • Like 2

Phew! Middle school. This is our second year homeschooling. Lot of online because my DD wants a teacher other than mom

Current events: Cnn student news, science news

Grammar: Analytical Grammar

Vocab/Spelling: Vfcr A, R and S 7 and Barron's vocab flash cards

Writing: veritas press Composition 1

Math: Wilsonhill academy Geometry ( did Jacobs Algebra with veritas press this year with huge success. Loved her teacher)

Science: WTMA physics

History: WTMA Middle Ages ( delayed)

Logic: Logic 1 veritas press

Literature: Literature transition veritas press ( did literature 6 with veritas this year and her teacher was amazing)

Geography: ??? Any advice on middle school geography?

Computer: scratch with Mommy.

She loves reading. Lots of trips to B&N and library

Music: piano

Art: she started taking lessons in an art school

Lots of fencing tournaments, English riding shows.

PSIA academic competitions: number sense, vocab, ready writing, National Quiz bowl.

• Like 1

*snip*

Math: Saxon 65 1st/2nd edition. Followed immediately by Saxon 76 of the same editions. DD can't take a break from math or her skills slip. 

Current Events: Pick 3 articles from reputable news sources daily and discuss them with me. One Political, One local, and one of your choosing. 

Language Arts: Grammar with a Giggle along with probably a spectrum workbook. But I need to look at Lifepac as well - it has worked well for History this year so I'm considering it for LA. 

Writing: How to write an essay. Need to find something in my budget that works to teach it well. I also want to do creative writing for dd - I'm considering Cover Story but really want to look it over first as I've heard conflicting reviews. Maybe just turn dd loose with a loose guideline and see what she comes up with.

Reading: Don't have to do much here, though I think I will pull selected novels and have dd read & discuss. Probably going to pull from SL Core F and a mix of Dystopian novels. 

History: This is tricky. This year we did Lifepac History 5, and while boring it got done. I am unsure right now if Lifepac Grade 6 history would be a good fit or not. Might consider Sonlight Core F {already on my shelves}

Science: The other tricky one. I am leaning towards Apologia General Science just because I have it, but I'm not thrilled with it either. I need to go looking for other options for a science loving advanced 6th grader. Considering the ACS Middle School Chem program as well, but I don't think it would cover a full year AND I am not sure on materials costs. I also have Lifepac Grade 8 science on my shelves, so that is a possible option as well. 

PE: Going to TRY to swing putting dd in martial arts once a week if I can. Hoping the local community ed does their program again as it's about $10 a week which I can afford if I budget it. DD will also work on learning Powwow dance from youtube videos. 

Art: Art program through the Art School 4 Saturdays of one month. 

Life Skills: Continue working on learning to cook, clean, do laundry, care for herself, etc. Begin to work on living skills such as grocery shopping. 

Nixing most of this after discussion with DD. This plan starts now due to us missing so much work this fall, so we're going to school through summer and next year without a break. 

Math: Saxon 54 followed by Saxon 65

Current Events: As stated above

LA: Lifepac LA - selected units from grade 4 & 5 to cover holes discovered by testing, then complete LA 6 {and possibly 7} of SOS

Writing: Writing from Lifepac LA 6, in addition work on basic essay writing 

Reading: Ditto above

History: Finish up Lifepac Grade 5 history, follow with Texas history to finish out year. 

Science: Start SOS Science 7 now, follow with Lifepac Science 8

Health: Lifepac Health Quest

PE: Ditto original, with addition of Wii Fit / Dance games / etc 

Art: Ditto Original

Life Skills: Ditto original

Okay.  I think I've got a few things figured out for my rising 6th grader.  Just FYI, I mostly consider her 5th grade due to various learning challenges:

Grammar: Finish FLL 4

Spelling: Finish All About Spelling 4, start 5

Writing: Finish IEW-A if not done, and CAP Narrative 3

Math: CLE 600

Science: Elemental Science Biology 2

History: History through Canadian Eyes?  20th Century.  For about six weeks?  Then start Ancients as per WTM 4th edition

Logic: Logic Countdown

Literature: finish History of the Horse by Beautiful Feet and finish off the year with history-related reads.  At least one Shakespeare read and poetry reads.

Geography: Visits to The Middle East

Music: ???

Art: ??? Maybe an outside class? 

Also: swimming lessons through Red Cross.

Super thankful for this thread. At this point, all I know for sure is AOPS pre-algebra (we will have finished Beast Academy 5D once it comes out finally!) And he will be taking a writing class at the local charter school. Probably Real Science Odyssey Biology. Am looking at another thread for grammar (the engaging grammar thread). History will continue with Build Your Library grade 6 (American History part 2 -- we've done part 1 this year and love it).

• 3 weeks later...

We tend to just keep on going and start a new curriculum whenever we finish something. Here are my plans for DS's next thing:

Math: Math Mammoth 7

Science: Not sure yet - maybe something at co-op. If not, I own all the Ellen McHenry units, so we'll work our way though those.

History: Mystery of History IV w/ Notebooking pages

Writing: Jump In!

Grammar: Finish Winston Grammar, then maybe try Khan Academy Grammar

Literature: Various Books

Other: Reasoning & Reading (I REALLY like these books), Red Hot Root Words

PE: Homeschool PE at the YMCA

Edited by scbusf
  • Like 3

Read classic books, and CLE Reading

CLE Language Arts (switching from Rod and Staff to this. . .we'll see how it goes)

Vocabulary from Classic Roots

Maxwell's School Composition

Lively Latin book 2

CLE Math 800

Fallacy Detective and Balance Benders

Memoria Press History of Medicine and World of Biology

VP Self-paced modern history

Evan Moore Daily Geography 6 and reading travel books

Morning Family work (folk songs, Shakespeare, Bible, Catechism, Poetry, Music (Jazz), Picture Study, Art, Read Aloud)

• Like 1

TT7, parts of MM starting back in MM 5 & Saxon 76's daily fact drill worksheets (realized previous plans would be completed by fall so...) MM 6 or Saxon 76  MM6 pre-algebra w/ Dolciani & Life of Fred
R&S 5 grammar
WWS1 
Spelling Power
Science in the Beginning or Apologia something-or-other
Sonlight G history/literature
OR something else involving Story of the World Volume 2: The Middle Ages, a history encyclopedia, and AO4 OR Heart of Dakota's Resurrection to Reformation (history & geography)
Various resources for coding, Spanish, piano, chess, drawing.

Maybe Visual Latin 1. I have it. We've done Latin on and off since kindergarten. I'm just "meh" about the language since I figured out that I'm not so strong in foreign language acquisition myself, nor am I as academic as I imagined myself to be. No one specifically wants to do it so without an internal compulsion, I can't currently see myself making Latin happen in the midst of everything else I am compelled to make happen. OR Getting Started With Latin with siblings as a refresher while I work through my ambivalence.

Edited by SGPS
  • Like 1

Updated...

Math: Beast Academy 5D, AoPS Prealgebra

Writing: FLVS M/J Language Arts 2 Adv, Literary analysis and essays along with her older sister, Unjournaling Writing and Rhetoric 5-7 with older sister, Reports for presentation at co-op

Grammar: Finish Easy Grammar, Glencoe diagramming book Finish last half of Practice Town and Sentence Composing for Elementary Schools

Vocabulary: Roots of English and Build a Better Vocabulary lectures

Literature: Misc. books (have to make a list) A Christmas Carol, Little Men, The Wednesday Wars, The Hiding Place, The Blue Sword

Social Studies: Middle East and Asia study

Science: Big History Project (+ some philosophy and theology videos/lectures), Science Experiments at co-op

Logic: The Art of Argument

Spanish: Rosetta Stone Spanish 3

Art: Easy Peasy Drawing Professionally

Music: FLVS Guitar, Piano

Life Skills class at co-op

Morning Time loop: Philosophy for Kids, Fairytales, Shakespeare, World of Poetry, Classics for Kids podcast, Easy Peasy Art Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Cultures, Khan Academy art videos, TedEd videos, Enjoying Music at Home, The Thinking Toolbox, Language A to Z lectures

Edited by Rosie
  • Like 1

Yay!!!  I've been waiting for these lol...

My middle kid will be in 6th next year.  Our plans:

Bible: Not sure yet.  Planning on trying to find something that is not 'Bible study'-ish, if that makes sense.  I'll know it when I find it lol.   :D

Grammar: Language Lessons for the Secondary Child Vol. 2 (from Queen Homeschool)

Writing: CAP Chreia & Proverb  Killgallon

Reading list from TWTM + additional books from the other book lists in there

History: WTM 6th grade history

Logic: James Madison Critical Thinking

Math: MUS Zeta  Lial's Pre-Algebra

Science: Tossing around a few book ideas, but I know we'll be spending the year focusing on robotics and engineering.  The books I'm currently thinking (but will need to see in person to decide for sure): The Robot Book, Make: Electronics, and The Art of Construction.  We'll see, other stuff will pop up as well.

That's pretty much it.  I don't plan things like art & music.  He'll have 4 extracurricular classes at co-op, too.  This year the 6th graders have Current Events, Art, Woodworking, and P.E., so I'm guessing it will be similar to that.

6th grade feels familiar to me now lol.  Then again, my oldest is going into 8th grade, and that feels like more of what we're already doing, so that doesn't feel unfamiliar, either.   :)

*edited!

Dd#3 tentative plans for the fall:

Math: finish Abeka Arithmetic 6 and start Russian Math 6

History: Light to the Nations 1 w/older sister K12 Human Odyssey (end of book 1 & most of book 2) and/or white Kingfisher with History Odyssey-like plan

Science: no clue (maybe McHenry, maybe interest led botany or animal science) still unsure, but leaning toward McHenry's Elements along with Herp Class in fall at Athena's

English: thinking of having her try an online class like EW1 or 2 through WTMA or combined lit/writing with CLRC (skipping the grammar portion). Probably doing Intro to Essay with Coram Deo, but haven't signed up yet

Religion: Baltimore Catechism #2 (part 3 of 3)

French w/me and older sister or redoing First Form Latin w/Memoria Press (since she's only to Lesson 20 right now) 

Memory work

My 6th grader:

Math:

- Singapore 5 and Saxon 7/6

Humanities:

- Spalding - spelling and handwriting (final year)

- Notgrass America the Beautiful for history and lit

- The first level of SWB's new logic stage grammar program

- We are taking a year to solidify writing before beginning WWS in 7th. We will summarize, outline, and use some Killgallon materials.

Science:

-CPO Earth Science

Foreign Language:

-Continue Liping Ma's Chinese with a tutor

-Getting Started With Latin

She will also probably do some of Art of Argument with older dd. And I want to find her a drawing class.

• Like 1

We won't start until next January, but I am certain on a few things:

Math: MUS finish preAlgebra, and then? AOPS?, another online class?, start MUS Algebra 1, followed by Foersters Algebra 1?

LA: R&S6 grammar and spelling, CW Homer B with Poetry B, my own lit list with some help with discussions from Center for Lit. I'm considering doing a year of Latin in place of R&S and then doing the grammar with R&S s year behind. I wonder when (or if) I should do this. Anyone else do this? Would it be better to do this in 6th or 7th?

Everything else: MFW EX1850

Typing should be finished from typing club, but maybe will work on speed with dancemat

Outsourced: art, violin, and trumpet lessons. I may cut one of the instruments. It's too much, with my teaching him piano lessons as well.

Logic: Fallacy Detective

I also want to teach him how to cook some things and how to sew on a button. Ă°Å¸ËœÆ’

So interesting to see the various permutations of 6th grade studies! We've had some solid years of IEW writing and Fix It grammar, so it's a "light" year for us for those subjects. But we're making some changes across the board; I think Singapore and Brave Writer are the only two things we're continuing from this year as far as author/provider goes.

*indicates subjects done with all my kids at the same level--2 5th graders and 1 6th this coming year:

Math: Singapore Primary 5B-6A/B (we'll see; almost done with 5A right now)

*Language Arts: BW Arrow books, Wordsmith Apprentice for grammar/comp review, finish up Phonetiz Zoo Level B for spelling, history/science enrichment books as recommended and needed + written narrations in those two subjects

*History: BF Modern US and World study guide for Jr High with Foster's books (5th graders won't have as much writing/questions as the 6th)

*Science: Apologia's elementary chemistry/physics book with their notebooking journal (6th grader will write lab reports; 5th won't)

*Logic: prufrock press.... kids are just about done with the safari books

Music: continued piano and violin lessons; hopefully choir at co-op

*Art: picture study + artistic stuff at co-op

*PE: AGH.... does running around outside count?

Morning Time: Bible, poetry reading/memorization, read alouds, etc.

• Like 1

Math: Beast Academy 5D, AoPS Prealgebra

Writing: FLVS M/J Language Arts 2 Adv, Literary analysis and essays along with her older sister, Unjournaling

Grammar: Finish Easy Grammar, Glencoe diagramming book

Vocabulary: Roots of English

Literature: Misc. books (have to make a list)

Social Studies: Middle East and Asia study

Science: Big History Project (+ some philosophy and theology videos/lectures)

Logic: The Art of Argument

Spanish: Rosetta Stone Spanish 3

Art: Easy Peasy Drawing Professionally

Music: FLVS Guitar

Morning Time loop: Philosophy for Kids, Fairytales, Shakespeare, World of Poetry, Classics for Kids podcast, Easy Peasy Art Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Cultures, Khan Academy art videos, TedEd videos

Oh I have been looking for morning basket stuff for my 6th grader, I love the idea of adding in Ted ed and philosophy!

I figured this out within the last week.  I realized that I have a kid who needs to be challenged or he gets unmotivated, quickly. 

Math:  We are going to do Jacobs instead of AoPS.  He is accelerated and good at math, but he doesn't love it and I just don't see him doing well with it.  I was feeling inadequate about this but I'm over it and we are going to have a great time with Harold Jacobs.  Also Middle School Family math and Real World Algebra

Language Arts: Bravewriter for writing, he will finish up FO, and then do an online workshop, probably something fiction based. MCT Literature Level for grammar, Boomerangs or Boomerang book club for Lit. Also planning a Shakespeare study probably during the second semester. He does an afterschool creative writing program 2 days a week as well. BYL lit and readers, rethinking the MCT....

Spanish: HSA - We are so happy with this.

Science:  Astronomy with Uzinggo, (we've been really happy with this too) and Great courses plus.  He's also going to join a local astronomy club and go star watching. I might try to get him to read The Story of Science again, but I'm also contemplating having him do BYL 8th grade next year to go through them all then.  We'll see. Chemistry at GHF

History: Second half of Hakim's History of US along with Pin-It maps and the Big Fat Notebook of US History I think through BYL grade 6

Art: You are an Artist video course on chalk pastels, classes at the art museum, continue with random artist studies.Art with BYL

Music: This is his "thing."  He's playing the piano officially, drums unofficially.  He writes and produces music on garage band and will be doing a couple of hip hop camps this summer. I am going to hopefully leave the afternoons free for him to work on this.

I'm just going to return to this thread every 6 weeks and update you all on my changes because I'm SURE this is very interesting for you. :lol: I decided to get BYL for a baseline for next year.  I need a little bit of a frame to build off of because my business is getting busier and I'm burnt out!

• Like 1

Well, this is our fourth time doing 6th grade.

Language:  Abeka C

Spelling: Abeka 5 (my kids are always a year behind in spelling because I don't start them until they can read well)

Writing: Interest led

Math: Saxon 6/5

Science:  Interest led

History:  Interest led

Art: Interest led

Music: violin

• Like 3

Math: CLE (except for word problems, use RedBird Math Online for that.)

History: Maybe Oxford University Press Ancient Times series

Art: A Child's History of Painting and/or A Child's History of Architecture from Calvert

Writing: Undecided, maybe Voyages in English or CAP W&R

Grammar: Undecided

Literary Analysis: Daybook of Reading and Writing, maybe something else (CLE Reading?)

Spelling: All About Spelling, maybe SpellWell workbooks

Handwriting: Getty-Dubay Italics

Vocabulary: English from the Roots Up, maybe Vocabulary from Classical Roots

Bible: Undecided, maybe Telling God's Story, Bible Road Trip, CLE Bible, Picture Smart Bible or Grapevine.

German: Leitner flashcard system based on "Fluent Forever", maybe Memrise or Duolingo

Science: CPO Life Science and maybe Guesthollow Botany. Maybe unit study on Darwin, Evolution and prehistoric life. (using DK books)

Geography: Maybe "A Child's Geography" Middle Ages

Latin: Undecided, maybe Fabulae Caeciliae and something else.

Coding: Undecided

Typing: Undecided

Reading: my own list, lots of biographies, science non-fiction, Newbery Winners.

Music Appreciation: Mike Venezia composer bios, maybe Hoffman free piano academy.

Phys Ed: Gymnastics, Swimming.

Other:

Megawords from EPS

McGuffey's Eclectic Reader

Analogies workbook

Nature Journaling and nature walks

Universe Sandbox 2.0 computer game (universe simulation)

Cricket Magazine, Muse Magazine, Dig Magazine.

CNN 10 student news

Edited by strawberryjam

I can't believe my oldest will be in sixth!! Here's what I have planned so far...

MUS finish epsilon, then zeta

*Considering switching to math Mammoth

Spelling you see level G

ELTL 4

*He switched to Fix It Grammar and is much happier. So next year he'll do Fix It level 2.

We tried IEW's SWI-B for a few weeks, and it's just meh. We are going to try Brave Writer next year. So the Arrow plus either Partnership Writing or Faltering Ownership.

BF history of science

*BF geography

BF history of California

*Funschooling journal twice a week

Physics using RS4K, TOPS electricity and magnetism, and various kits.

Typing

Duo lingo Spanish

Piano

Probably a ten week session of each of these: swimming, drawing, soccer or tennis

• 2 weeks later...

Math: CLE (except for word problems, use RedBird Math Online for that.)

History: Maybe Oxford University Press Ancient Times series

Art: A Child's History of Painting and/or A Child's History of Architecture from Calvert

Writing: Undecided, maybe Voyages in English or CAP W&R

Grammar: Undecided

Literary Analysis: Daybook of Reading and Writing, maybe something else (CLE Reading?)

Spelling: All About Spelling, maybe SpellWell workbooks

Handwriting: Getty-Dubay Italics

Vocabulary: English from the Roots Up, maybe Vocabulary from Classical Roots

Bible: Undecided, maybe Telling God's Story, Bible Road Trip, CLE Bible, Picture Smart Bible or Grapevine.

German: Leitner flashcard system based on "Fluent Forever", maybe Memrise or Duolingo

Science: CPO Life Science and maybe Guesthollow Botany. Maybe unit study on Darwin, Evolution and prehistoric life. (using DK books)

Geography: Maybe "A Child's Geography" Middle Ages

Latin: Undecided, maybe Fabulae Caeciliae and something else.

Coding: Undecided

Typing: Undecided

Reading: my own list, lots of biographies, science non-fiction, Newbery Winners.

Music Appreciation: Mike Venezia composer bios, maybe Hoffman free piano academy.

Phys Ed: Gymnastics, Swimming.

Other:

Megawords from EPS

McGuffey's Eclectic Reader

Analogies workbook

Nature Journaling and nature walks

Universe Sandbox 2.0 computer game (universe simulation)

Cricket Magazine, Muse Magazine, Dig Magazine.

CNN 10 student news

My son did the BYL unit study on evolution this year and enjoyed it. (We skipped a lot of the worksheet stuff)

Here is what I think I am thinking for next year:

Grammar - Analytical Grammar, maybe? and Drawing Sentences if the curriculum we choose does not include diagramming.

Writing - Writing With Skill 1 or IEW or CAP Writing and Rhetoric Books 4 & 5 or Writeshop Jr. E or MCT Paragraph Town and Building Poems

Spelling - Spelling Workout F & G possibly

Math - Saxon or AOPS Volume 1 & 2 with Alcumus or Horizons Pre-Algebra

Geography - North Star Geography

Latin-?

French- continue with our current French book

History - History Odyssey as our spine with SOTW 1 and numerous other books but I am open to other suggestions that are rigorous

Science - Middle School Chemistry from American Chemical Society 

Vocabulary - Wordly Wise 6 and Vocabulary from Classical Roots A

Logic - The Fallacy Detective and chess

Computer Science - W3 Schools

Fine Arts - She will continue her dance, voice, and theater classes and start a musical instrument this summer. My partner is an art teacher so luckily that is covered. We are also thinking about going back to Girl Scouts or trying 4H.

She is not a willing writer but does well when I allow her to type. We did very little writing this year and I am a bit nervous about pushing forward to something more demanding because I think she needs more of the basics. I think we will go more quickly than I have planned for science and math since those are her strong suits. I really like this look of History Odyssey today but I am wondering how strong it really is as a full history curriculum. This will be our very first year doing Latin soI am not sure where to start. I also have a 1st grader I am planning to integrate with her for science, geography, and history.

I'm late to the party this year due to a big move.

Reading...  Interest led with a little creative strewing and Figuratively Speaking

Language Arts... Analytical Grammar, Vocab from Classical Roots, and IEW Following Narnia

Math... Math Mammoth 5/6

Science...  Holt Science & Technology Earth Science

History... Story of the World 2/3 with biographies

World Geography... Trail Guide to Geography

Art... Meet the Masters

Music... Guitar, chorus, and clarinet

Edited by My3girls
  • Like 1

Here's my plan for 6th grade next year.

Grammar: Sentence Combining by William Strong and MCT practice books

Writing: Jensen's Format Writing (first section on paragraphs)

Spelling: All About Spelling 7

Literature: Kolbe Elementary Literature or BraveWriter online book club

Social Studies: All Ye Lands with Kolbe Online

Math: Horizons 6

Science: So You Really Want to Learn About Science 2 (spread across two years)

Religion: Faith & Life 6

Art: co-op class, one hour every other week

Speech: co-op class, one hour every other week

Vocabulary: none

Music: none

Foreign language: none

PE: ballet

hoping to fit in: Figuratively Speaking, Fallacy Detective

Edited 7/18/17: ignore this whole post ...  imagine it scrunched up and in the waste basket.

TT7, parts of MM starting back in MM 5 & Saxon 76's daily fact drill worksheets (realized previous plans would be completed by fall so...) MM 6 or Saxon 76  MM6 pre-algebra w/ Dolciani & Life of Fred
R&S 5 grammar
WWS1 
Spelling Power
Science in the Beginning or Apologia something-or-other
Sonlight G history/literature
OR something else involving Story of the World Volume 2: The Middle Ages, a history encyclopedia, and AO4 OR Heart of Dakota's Resurrection to Reformation (history & geography)
Various resources for coding, Spanish, piano, chess, drawing.

Maybe Visual Latin 1. I have it. We've done Latin on and off since kindergarten. I'm just "meh" about the language since I figured out that I'm not so strong in foreign language acquisition myself, nor am I as academic as I imagined myself to be. No one specifically wants to do it so without an internal compulsion, I can't currently see myself making Latin happen in the midst of everything else I am compelled to make happen. OR Getting Started With Latin with siblings as a refresher while I work through my ambivalence.

Sheesh, what a mess.  :laugh:  Let me just start again ...

Math: [finish Saxon 76 and follow with] pre-algebra (Dolciani, Life of Fred supplementing) Saxon 87 (but it could still change to Dolciani, Lial, LoF, or AOPS--all on my shelf  :blushing: )
Latin: Henle w/ Memoria Press's First Year Henle Latin Study Guide Units I & II [might put this off one more year .. maybe]
Grammar: Rod and Staff English 5
Writing: Writing With Skill 1
Literature: WTM middle school/Middle Ages list
History/geography: Heart of Dakota's Resurrection to Reformation
Science: Science in the Beginning 
attention to spelling as needed + various resources for coding, Spanish, piano, chess, drawing, etc.

Edited by SGPS
  • Like 3

Sheesh, what a mess.  :laugh:  Let me just start again ...

Math: pre-algebra (Dolciani, Life of Fred supplementing)

Latin: Henle w/ Memoria Press's First Year Henle Latin Study Guide Units I & II

Grammar: Rod and Staff English 5

Literature: WTM middle school/Middle Ages list

History/geography: Heart of Dakota's Resurrection to Reformation

Science: Science in the Beginning

attention to spelling as needed + various resources for coding, Spanish, piano, chess, drawing, etc.

:lol:

Mine is a mess too, but it hasn't been 6 weeks yet, so I'm waiting to update. :laugh:

• Like 2

Here's what I'm thinking now

Math: CLE 5/6 (we should be about halfway through CLE6 by the end of next year--recovering from some bad math experiences :))

Writing:   WTM-style logic stage writing plus Write On OR WWS1 starting in Jan OR IEW SWI-B.  I'm leaning toward the first option

Spelling:  Spelling Workout F

Cursive:  Pentime

Typing : Finish Dancemat and then ???

History:  Finish Mom-made study of American history through the Great Depression and then SOTW1 (audio) plus Usborne Enc for note-taking and timeline and MP's Famous Men of Rome for outlining and summaries.

Science:  Bi-monthly time with Dad studying electronics and simple machines plus either EM daily science with Bill Nye videos and library books OR SCM insect study.

Literature:  1-1.5 hrs per day to read.  He will be assigned 6 classics and 3 titles from ancient history. He's also reading his way through the entire American Adventure series.

Logic:  Building Thinking Skills

• Like 1

So far planning:

Modern History and Geography with SOTW and other resources.  Was thinking of going back to Ancients, but we want to do a geography and culture focus and expand more on Modern History.

Beast Academy 5 and Khan

CAP Writing and Rhetoric

MCT Voyage Level

Pentime

CAP Reasoning and Reading L. 2

Fallacy Detective

Mindbenders

CAP Spanish for Children?  maybe

Finishing the Apologia Bible series

Elemental Science Biology and outsourced classes

Artistic Pursuits and outsourced art

piano

Some sort of outside physical activity tbd

• Like 1

Aaack! I'm afraid to actually write our plans down for the coming year. Here goes:

Math: Saxon 8/7

Science: RSO Biology

Writing: finish Writing Skills and start Jump In

Spelling: Apples and Pears

Typing/Spelling: Touch Type Read and Spell

History: Human Odyssey 

Spanish: tutor 

Art: Atelier? 

Literature: Books, books, books

• Like 1

Phew! Middle school. This is our second year homeschooling. Lot of online because my DD wants a teacher other than mom

Current events: Cnn student news, science news

Grammar: Analytical Grammar

Vocab/Spelling: Vfcr A, R and S 7 and Barron's vocab flash cards

Writing: veritas press Composition 1

Math: Wilsonhill academy Geometry ( did Jacobs Algebra with veritas press this year with huge success. Loved her teacher)

Science: WTMA physics

History: WTMA Middle Ages ( delayed)

Logic: Logic 1 veritas press

Literature: Literature transition veritas press ( did literature 6 with veritas this year and her teacher was amazing)

Geography: ??? Any advice on middle school geography?

Computer: scratch with Mommy.

She loves reading. Lots of trips to B&N and library

Music: piano

Art: she started taking lessons in an art school

Lots of fencing tournaments, English riding shows.

PSIA academic competitions: number sense, vocab, ready writing, National Quiz bowl.

I revamped some of it...

Math: WHA Geometry ( Review Algebra with Foresters word problems and CLE Algebra), AMC 8 prep with Math tutor

Science: Wtma physics with Engineering class at the coop

History: WTMA Middle Ages

Lit and comp: Integritas Academy with Mrs. Lange ( extremely excited about it)

Grammar: Analytical grammar

Vocab: Baron's SAT words and Vocab from classical roots

Latin: Clrc

Spanish: College spanish with tutor

Logic: art of argument, mindbenders, anologies, critical thinking

Music: piano lessons continue

Art: Art memory competition ( art and artists history)

Coding: youthcode academy

Cnn student news, science news, lots of biographies and free reading and audio books

Sports: Fencing, Horseback riding

Exams/competitons: PSIA ( UIL for private schools in Texas)Math, Vocab and art memory, AMC 8, National Spanish exam

She wants to start a literature club for kids in the neighborhood. Depends on our schedule..

And above is subject to changeĂ°Å¸Ëœ

Edited by mom2vikha

• 2 weeks later...

Next year I won't be teaching at co-op and the kids have asked for a break anyways to get back to "home" schooling. I still might try teaching a few classes, but at home, for science and writing/literature. We'll see.

Here is what ds and I have been thinking about for 6th grade:

btw, this is my kid who doesn't want to grow up and just loves being a kid...... he's not wanting to be a middle schooler so we are going to ease into this stage. I'm letting him call the shots with some subjects!

Math: CLE 5/6

Spelling: AAS (I may create a student book for him to work independently or use Phonetic Zoo on my shelf)

Writing: IEWs new World History Theme book(coming out in summer) with Bravewriter sprinkled in..... he is enjoying our Bravewriter Co-op class this year!    I'm undecided at this point, still. IEW, Bravewriter, or Jump In! May need to get his input.

Taking a grammar break for sixth grade. He has completed FLL 1-4 and is almost through Jr. AG...... We'll just discuss grammar through writing. He has earned it!

History: Oak Meadow 7th grade World History..... folding in Project Passport with a quick unit on Greece/Rome at his request.

Decided against OM, too much cost. I have on the shelf.... History Odyssey, Usborne History Encyclopedia, Big Fat History Notebook, Story of Mankind (already completed SOTW)..... we may take the WTM approach adding in activities through Project Passport and videos. Less time on History and more time on Science this year, at his request!

Literature: OM lit list......replacing some with what we have already..... finding BW Arrow or Boom guides for the ones he picks.

Summer of the Monkeys

Shakespeare Play ?

Biography of Charles Dickens; Oliver Twist or A Christmas Carol

Lyddie

Amelia Earhart

Mama's Bank Account

Journey to America

Helen Keller

Goodbye, Vietnam

Zlata's Diary

A Single Shard

Most likely using Arrow guides/books since that went well this year..... some lit tied in with history, some of his choosing.

Throw in short stories, poetry teatime, and Shakespeare

Science: It's going to be hard to top Elements and Carbon Chemistry that I am teaching at co-op this year. Ds has loved it!

He decided on OM 5th grade Science...... he wanted a more general science for 6th. OM will include Environmental, Life, & Physical.

We'll throw in Ellen McHenry where we can! (Thrilled about Ellen's new Rocks & Dirt unit!!! Completing this before we start OM.... skipping Life Science section in OM since we will devote 7th grade year to Life)

https://www.facebook.com/EllenMcHenrysBasementWorkshop/posts/1433298783359459:0

Spanish: our wonderful Tudor  Our schedule didn't work out for our tutor, so we will continue with suggested videos, games, and vocab through the year.

Fallacy Detective, continue Art, Guitar, Krav Maga/Fight Club, Typing

Ongoing Project:  Remodeling his schoolbus into a boys hangout!! He's making headway.....

Making changes..... 

Is it time to start thinking about this already? (the other tabs open in my browser say yes lol)

- AOPS pre-algebra, with some MM7 too

- WWS, alternating with something Bravewriter-ish - BW Faltering Ownership

- not sure about the rest of language arts - Fix It Grammar, BW Arrow books/guides with the family

- Elemental Logic stage earth science - taking a local Earth science class

- also taking a World Geography class locally

- continue Latin for Children A-B - she finished A this year, so on to LFC B

- finish Orbiting with Logic and ___?___

- continue SOTW with the family + logic stage extensions 

- maybe add piano lessons - just found a recommended teacher!

Haha, I changed a lot more than I usually do!

Edited by kesmom

Still somewhat of a work in progress, I am tweaking as I go.  Sixth grade has traditionally been more of a transition to independence, this one is going to be challenging as she is a head-in-the-clouds, dreamer, creative girl!  I have let her have a hand in making some of these choices and we will do a month or so of a test run to see how things pan out.

Bible: Copywork, Greenleaf Guide to OT History, Journibles, scripture memory (these are all options, I haven't quite decided)

Math: Saxon

Writing: Writing with Ease and Writing Strands or The Creative Writer (I need to sit down and look at TCW, I have used WS previously)

Grammar: First Language Lessons

Science: CGC or Nature Journaling or both?  4H Equine Science

Spelling: Phonetic Zoo

Foreign Language: Visual Latin 

Art: Abeka Art books (at her request) & MP Art cards with notebooking

Music: Learn to play recorder & Composer Studies with Classical Kids & notebooking, church Praise Team, (dh plays piano and guitar and will be working with her on other musical things, this is not my field of expertise)

History: SL Core D+E & BF Early American

Logic: Logic to the Rescue series

Geography: BF Geography or Draw Around the World: USA or a combo of both

Typing: ???

Outside classes: 4H Equine Science & Horseback riding lessons

ETC: SCM Handicraft DVDs she found at convention.  

She wants to dabble in calligraphy & will also work her way through Beautiful Feet's History of the Horse.  She is a horse FANATIC!  Probably has something to do with the fact that her older sister rides pro rodeo in Texas.  

We use loop scheduling to get through much of the extras.  She will take over planning these and working on them asking for assistance as it is needed.  I am a fairly relaxed mama, we've done sixth grade more than once and I anticipate this year to be challenging for her, yet rewarding because she was able to help make decisions and look over curricula at convention with me.  I am excited to start back!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My DS 10 is head in the clouds creative as well. (My younger dd is too. My younger ds is the only one who got any kind of internal focus ability, and he's actually the most creative.) anyways, it makes it tricky to transition to middle school. He still needs a lot of direction to stay focused but I hardly have time because DD requires a listening audience for every idea that floats into her brain. Meanwhile artsy boy is satisfied to draw all day and often gets lost in the shuffle. ::insert head banging wall emoji here::

I'm just going to return to this thread every 6 weeks and update you all on my changes because I'm SURE this is very interesting for you. :lol: I decided to get BYL for a baseline for next year. I need a little bit of a frame to build off of because my business is getting busier and I'm burnt out!

I went with BYL 8, because 6 was not going to work for a variety of reasons. We are doing it very eccentrically, because we need to add a ton in.

-It's the "History of Science" year and the science kit they schedule is no longer available. We are sticking with Uzinggo for science and did join the astronomy club so I'm hoping that suffices.

-He's writing a sci-fi novel and I'm hoping he can take a BW class to help him out with that. We may do nanowrimo in November and cut academics way back. We'll see.

- We are still reading through history of Us as family reading but history is through science this year which I think is fine. He really likes history and seems to learn the most when he picks what topic to read about.

- MCT Language of Lit level I'm still on the fence about. I'm not sure if we'll have time.

- I had a teacher conference with his Spanish tutor and I'm still really happy with HSA.

- this is a year I'm trying to finesse some output out of this kid. I'm hoping the assignments in BYL are engaging enough to get him to cooperate. He's a young grade 6, not turning 11 until November, so hasn't really been pushed in the output department.

• Like 1

This is for real this time. 

Math: finish Saxon 76, begin Saxon 87

Latin: First Year Henle Latin units I-II with Memoria Press study guide

Grammar: finish R&S English 4, begin R&S English 5

History: history encyclopedia + history notebook (summaries & drawing), interest led topic studies w/ monthly reports

Literature: WTM literature list, other lists

Geography: Draw the USA, history related map work 

Science: Wile's elementary series, interest led topic studies

Also music, drawing, Spanish but I start having mild panic attacks when this list starts looking really long and besides, music and drawing are independent and Spanish is in a group with a weekly tutor and commited to only for a trial period until I see how doable it is on top of everything else.

• 3 weeks later...

Nixing most of this after discussion with DD. This plan starts now due to us missing so much work this fall, so we're going to school through summer and next year without a break. 

Math: Saxon 54 followed by Saxon 65 Added Lifepac Grade 4 Math to brush up on basic skills. Then will go into Saxon 54 with doubled up lessons. 

Current Events: As stated above

LA: Lifepac LA - selected units from grade 4 & 5 to cover holes discovered by testing, then complete LA 6 {and possibly 7} of SOS

Writing: Writing from Lifepac LA 6, in addition work on basic essay writing 

Reading: Ditto above

History: Finish up Lifepac Grade 5 history, follow with Texas history to finish out year. 

Science: Start SOS Science 7 now, follow with Lifepac Science 8   MobyMax Science starting with Grade 6. 30 minutes per day active time. 

Health: Lifepac Health Quest

PE: Ditto original, with addition of Wii Fit / Dance games / etc 

Art: Ditto Original

Life Skills: Ditto original

FInal update: Made a bet with DD to finish some of this before September 1st. If she does, I'll be planning 7th grade to begin in January. Doing a one month trial of Monarch instead of Lifepac/SOS. 

It's fun to see plans evolve over the months. Homeschool is a living, breathing thing!

Math: MUS Zeta

Language: AG Season 1 with W&R 5 and 6

Science: weekly library selections 

History: Ancients - Greenleaf Guide to Egypt, FMOG, FMOR, free re-reading of SOTW1 w/activities

Literature: tied in with history

Religion: Bible History (OT and NT overview)

Latin: Lingua Angelica I - we've done MP from Prima to LC2 and want a break before diving into Henle for 7th

Edited by Rosika
  • Like 1

I went with BYL 8, because 6 was not going to work for a variety of reasons. We are doing it very eccentrically, because we need to add a ton in.

-It's the "History of Science" year and the science kit they schedule is no longer available. We are sticking with Uzinggo for science and did join the astronomy club so I'm hoping that suffices.

-He's writing a sci-fi novel and I'm hoping he can take a BW class to help him out with that. We may do nanowrimo in November and cut academics way back. We'll see.

- We are still reading through history of Us as family reading but history is through science this year which I think is fine. He really likes history and seems to learn the most when he picks what topic to read about.

- MCT Language of Lit level I'm still on the fence about. I'm not sure if we'll have time.

- I had a teacher conference with his Spanish tutor and I'm still really happy with HSA.

- this is a year I'm trying to finesse some output out of this kid. I'm hoping the assignments in BYL are engaging enough to get him to cooperate. He's a young grade 6, not turning 11 until November, so hasn't really been pushed in the output department.

We're doing The Big History Project instead of BYL.

We are starting this week so hopefully I don't change it anymore. Lol

We tend to just keep on going and start a new curriculum whenever we finish something. Here are my plans for DS's next thing:

Math: Math Mammoth 7

Science: Not sure yet - maybe something at co-op. If not, I own all the Ellen McHenry units, so we'll work our way though those.  Ellen McHenry Protozoa, then more EM units

History: Mystery of History IV w/ Notebooking pages What Every Child Needs to Know about Western Civilization by Brimwood Press

Writing: Jump In!  Writing With Skill 1

Grammar: Finish Winston Grammar, then maybe try Khan Academy Grammar The Sentence Family (as part of our Morning Time with all the kids)

Literature: Various Books and Figuratively Speaking

Other: Reasoning & Reading (I REALLY like these books), Red Hot Root Words, Victus Study Skills, Excavating English

PE: Homeschool PE at the YMCA

Changes in RED

Also, here are our Morning Time plans - all 3 kids together (2nd, 4th, and 6th grades):

Geography - 50 States and Where to Find Them

Poetry, Shakespeare, Inventors, Hero Tales

Nature Study

I can't believe my oldest will be in sixth!! Here's what I have planned so far...

MUS finish epsilon, then zeta  Math Mammoth 5

*Considering switching to math Mammoth

Spelling You See level G -this is back in

ELTL 4

*He switched to Fix It Grammar and is much happier. So next year he'll do Fix It level 2.

We tried IEW's SWI-B for a few weeks, and it's just meh. We are going to try Brave Writer next year. So the Arrow plus either Partnership Writing or Faltering Ownership.

I decided to just go all in with Brave Writer for next year, we may add Fix It back in the following year.

BF history of science

*BF geography

BF history of California

*Funschooling journal twice a week. Saving this for spring.

Physics using RS4K (textbook only), Exploring the World of Physics TOPS electricity and magnetism, and various kits.

EM Daily Science (instead of the RS4K lab workbook)

Typing

Duo lingo Spanish, probably not

Piano

Probably a ten week session of each of these: swimming, drawing, soccer or tennis

More changes (in red). School starts next week, so I think this is it. :D 

Made some changes since I first posted. :)

Math: - TT 7

Spelling: AAS

Literature: Mosdos

Grammar: *probably* Easy Grammar    Fix It! Grammar

Writing: no idea Writing Strands (maybe)/BJU/Bravewriter combo, NaNoWriMo workbook & The Good & the Beautiful Notebook

Vocab: We are going to start using INB's focusing on word roots and also playing Rummy Roots (which is collecting dust at the moment.)  Yikes!  I actually forgot about these when I was planning. Must get that ready to go!

Science: no idea.  The kids are loving Apologia Zoology 3, so we may move backwards and do Zoology 2 next year...  Abeka Science 6

History: thinking some Donna Ward books, but no idea which ones Courage & Conquest - Canadian history study

Geography: thinking about Map of the Whole World  We are starting a geography notebook this year.  We'll add foldables and maps as we go

Bible: Either using what we already own or buying Grapevine.  Depends how much I need something  new.  ;)  Guess I needed something new...we ended up going with Apologia Who is God?  And Can I Really Know Him?

Every time this thread resurfaces, I realize I changed something.  This can not be a good sign! 

• Like 2

Math: Teaching Textbooks 6

Language Arts: Writer's In Residence {Now thinking of trying The Good and The Beautiful 5 instead of Easy Grammar & Word Roots}

Handwriting: Patriotic Penmanship 6

History/Geography: Story of the World 3 (I have younger kids going through it) plus the Kingfisher Encyclopedia with outlining, timeline, and additional history reading (basically just following what it says to do it WTM), Operation World for Geography, as well.

Logic: The Fallacy Detective

Bible: Herein Is Love: Genesis, Walking in Peace, & The Talk

Science: Berean Builders Science in The Scientific Revolution plus additional study through topics as they come to them

{Also adding Prima Latina. And one of my 6th graders will be learning violin. Trying to prod the other to an instrument, as well.}

Edited by NotesFromTheParsonage

Literature - coming up with a list

Math - Math Mammoth 6

Writing - Writing with Skill 1

Spelling - All About Spelling 5, start 6

Grammar - Grammar for TWTM

Logic - Logic Liftoff series, Fallacy Detective

History - HO Level 2 Ancients, start Middle Ages

Science - finish RSO Physics, short units on rocketry, robotics and bridges/tunnels

Art - art club 1x per month, drawing, museums/experiences

Music- experiences, maybe guitar

PE - swim, running

Every time this thread resurfaces, I realize I changed something.  This can not be a good sign! 

LOL, same here!

Okay, I'll suck it up and get a list started...  :crying:

Math:  Math Mammoth 5 (hopefully get into 6)

Reading/Lit:  Mosdos 5 (we very much enjoyed Mosdos 4 this year) + a few novels

Spelling:  Apples & Pears - finish B/begin C

Grammar/Writing:  considering EiW 6  The Paragraph Book 1 & 2 Gah, IDK. Maybe EiW5 or 6.  Definitely EiW5.

Vocab: we are working through a Sylvan deck of vocab. cards...just continue into next deck Â Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Never got around to that vocab. deck, so we'll just use it this year...

Science:  continue through online textbook we're using (try to get through grade 5 and 6) maybe apologia? BJU 6? interest led?  Going with Mystery science and DK type books

History:  we're going to do a semester of state history using Studies Weekly booklets...IDK about 2nd semester (maybe geog.) Hakim's concise American History books A & B

Bible:  something independent - maybe a Kay Arthur study I bought a journal we're going to work through together   Picture Smart bible

Geography: maybe Memoria Press States & Capitals (which we were supposed to do this year but totally have blown off) just map work along with our history   Complete Book of Maps & Geography

Art:  Artistic Pursuits, grade 4-5 book...maybe darn it, I don't know.   Lamb's Book of Art, Great American Artists

Obviously, planning is not going well at the moment...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up far away from where I started! I like where we ended up and hopefully I can skip a few revision steps next year.

Math: AoPS

History: The Big History Project

Science: The Big History Project + Uzinggo

Literature: I compiled a list that will be a "world lit" class to go with The Big History Project, we'll also do a mythology unit and a Shakespeare unit

Spanish: Homeschool Spanish Academy

Grammar: Eats, Shoots & Leaves along with Killagon

Writing: They Say, I Say