Menu

Entire fridge died overnight!

UCF612

I posted yesterday about our freezer stopping then restarting. Got up this morning and the fridge is hot. Threw out everything. Thank God my parents spontaneously decided to get us a fridge for Christmas. Now we just need to see if Lowe's will deliver sooner than scheduled!

• Like 1

Question: Are both of those appliances very old?  It seems a little strange, that the Freezer had issues, and that the next day the Refrigerator died.  Possibly that is simply a coincidence, however, I wonder if there is a problem with the Electrical service to your house?  Fluctuating A/C voltage or something?  I suggest that you ask your Power provider to check that, before you connect your new Refrigerator.

• Like 4

No idea how old. We've lived here a year and it came with the house. It has never been a great fridge. We'll pull it out and see if cleaning out the back helps. I don't think it is an house electrical issue but that is a possibility.

• Like 1

That happened to us once. Of course, we had bought the fridge new and it was 18 years old so we got good use out of it; it was just such a surprise when it happened like that.

Our current fridge is about 18 years old now, and we've been looking around and pricing new ones so we'll be ready to go out and buy one when this one gives it up. :-)

• Like 1

I think a Refrigerator should last for 15 or 20 years, in daily service.  Possibly longer than that.   Our newest refrigerator is about 12 years old. I won it in a raffle in the Super Store. It is a Whirlpool, low end model.  Our older refrigerator will be 22 years old, at the end of February.  However, is not in continuous use now. I suspect it has 15 or 16 years of use on it.   It is larger than the newer one. Also a low end Whirlpool.  My wife needed both of them in service over the holidays and the older one works fine.   NOTE: My understanding is that things like Ice Makers are troublemakers. If you do not have things like that, a refrigerator is much more likely to be trouble-free.  However, the convenience of an ice maker is probably worth the risk of additional repair issues.  

• Like 1

That is how our fridge died too. Freezer went one day, fridge compartment the next. Appliance was probably 8-10 years old, so it wasn't a huge surprise, but yes, Home Depot doesn't deliver the same day. We had to wait 3-4 days - and then the unit shipping in from metroplex had a couple of dents. Not huge dents, and we pulled most of them out (dry ice), but the last one is covered by a magnet. We didn't think the location of the dents would impact the viability of the machinery or insulation/seal. And $$ off was nice.

Did you know they have refrigerators with integrated coffee makers now?  I wasn't sure that it made sense to try something to produces heat into a system designed for cooling, but maybe it doesn't make sense to me since I don't like coffee.

• Like 1

<snip>

Did you know they have refrigerators with integrated coffee makers now?  I wasn't sure that it made sense to try something to produces heat into a system designed for cooling, but maybe it doesn't make sense to me since I don't like coffee.

@Bambam    Wow... Thank you for helping me get  into the 21st century.  No, I did not know that there are refrigerators that can make coffee.   :closedeyes:  We live in Colombia and my wife is from the  primary Coffee growing region and we do drink coffee. We have a Coffee Maker.  The next time I go into a Super Store, I will check out the expensive refrigerators to see if they can make coffee.

Usually  I do not like to buy things that are multi purpose, because they tend to not do  their separate jobs as well as individual things dedicated to that purpose and require service more often. There are exceptions to that.

I bought a refrigerator in a Montgomery Ward store in North Dallas years ago. When I called, needing to buy a refrigerator, the salesman told me about it. It was the previous year model. Until then, I knew that cars had model years, but I had no idea that Refrigerators have model years.  For that reason, I saved $ on it.

ETA: My wife is still asleep but I will share the information about refrigerators that can also make coffee with her and my DD, ASAP...

Edited by Lanny