Menu

Accountability Thread: 1/22-1/28

We have less than a week and a half left in January. How did that happen? 

Today's schedule:

Grocery run today

Writing

Watercolor painting

Sketching--I have a portrait of a pony that I want to watercolor this week

The boys have a request to make some extravagant sweets for this week, and I figured on spending the afternoon in the kitchen with them observing and helping out a little bit.

There's a little laundry to do

All in all, a restful rainy Sunday. I finished my weekly planning on Saturday, and that sure freed up today for some rest. I think I'll work hard from now on to make sure I get that done on Friday evening or Saturday afternoon as often as possible.

• Like 6

It's a Monday....

Today's schedule

French-cp 8, DVD, a page of the workbook

Latin- lesson 8, DVD, workbook

Math-Lesson 14, 1 pg KTD

Grammar/Composition-choose new spelling words, copy; grammar exercise 3, WWS Week 8, Day 1

History-Cp 4, questions, additional reading

Science-Cp 4, questions, additional reading

Literature-continue with A Christmas Carol

Creative Writing-Week 13, POV, read the chapter,Challenge Ex 1

For me: French, Latin, Geometry, (a lot) Writing, light housekeeping, a little cooking

• Like 5

Oh my goodness, I'm not ready for Monday! I know, I know, the show must go on anyway. Our plan for today is

Younger boy: music lesson, math, Spanish/German, spelling and reading

Older boy: math, Latin, composition and literature

Me: hopefully getting to ride with dh and looking over some stuff for next year.

• Like 4

Morning! We've spent the last couple of weeks finishing up the stuff I wanted to get done before Christmas. So I guess today is the start of the second semester for us!

Everyone has their own math, assigned reading, writing and spelling to do. DS11 has Spanish and the other two have cursive. I'll just rotate through them until its done.

Together - read a section from SOTW and do the map work, read from a science book and discuss, memory work and read alouds

DD8 has modern and ballet classes tonight.

We have the usual housekeeping chores: dishes, sweeping, laundry, etc. Plus some baking.

It should be a normal, uneventful day. My favorite!

• Like 4

What do we have to do today? Hmm. I've half a mind to go play because it's supposed to be sunny and beautiful today. But, I'm saving my days for my week off in February. 

Today's schedule:

French-continue lesson, workbook

Latin-continue lesson, vocabulary review, workbook

Math-lesson 15, 1 page KTD

Grammar/Comp-practice spelling, 1/2 of grammar exercise 4, Day 2 WWS

History/Science-swap from yesterday

Lit/Creative Writing-swap from yesterday

For me: French, Latin, Geometry, Writing, Housekeeping

• Like 4

On schedule for us today

math

spanish/french

literature reading

composition

latin

music practice

hopefully, all will be done in a timely manner and with good attitudes.  Yesterday, we ended up having a playdate instead of a music lesson, lol.  So, I rescheduled the music lesson for Thursday and we need to make up the rest of the stuff that we didn't get to because of said unscheduled playdate.

• Like 4

We didn't do Latin or literature but today was super fantastic! Math with my eldest only took an hour! Do you hear that people 1 HOUR! It was correct too! Ok, I know that's common for most of you but this kid easily stretches math to two hours and often still doesn't get it completed. The younger got all of his work done, well all that was on his list with a reasonably good attitude. We did have a little attitude but it was quickly replaced with good vibes and we got out for a nice walk.

• Like 4

Today's schedule:

French-continue lesson 8, workbook

Latin- review grammar, continue lesson 8, workbook

Math-Test today, no KTD

Grammar/Composition-spelling practice, finish the grammar exercise from yesterday, Day 3 of WWS

History-finish cp 4, questions, additional reading

Science-finish cp 4, questions, additional reading

Creative Writing-change POV in a short story of own choosing

Literature-Stave 4 in A Christmas Carol

For me: French, Latin, Geometry, Writing, Housekeeping

I am exhausted today. I might try to find a little time in there to nap.

• Like 4

Our schedule for today

Math

Spanish/German

Spelling/grammar

Cursive

Literature/history reading

Music practice

Big boy

Math

Latin

Grammar/literature

Recorder practice

Question for ya, looking at all of the planning threads, I'm wondering if any of you have started planning for next year yet?

Really hoping to have another good day!

Edited by mama25angels
  • Like 4

Question for ya, looking at all of the planning threads, I'm wondering if any of you have started planning for next year yet?

A little bit. I tend to get a little more serious in February, when I'm usually figuring out what my budget for school might be for the year. 

• Like 3

I am trying to think ahead, but I don't know if I will even be homeschooling next year.  I kind of want to, but DD8 really wants to go back to school, and we intend to find a great school when we move, so I don't know what I am going to do.  I might keep DD6 home and send DD8, but that brings it's own problems. 

I saw your other thread a while back. I do hope you find a great school which will give you all the options. Doesn't make the decision any easier to make, but it does take some of the anxiety out of it, I think.

Today's schedule:

Art- :hurray: I think I like art as much or more than the boys. No pressure, just playing with paper, pencils and paint.

Math-CLE 608 starts today. I need to seriously consider getting 700 ordered. 

Grammar/Composition-Spelling practice only today, Free Writing, no grammar

Logic-Fallacy Ad Fontum, I think, and we'll have popcorn to eat while we watch the DVD.

That's it.

For me: Writing and Housekeeping. I'll bake some chicken in the oven later today. Library night late.

Additionally, we may have two boats arriving sometime this evening. I have a special agent going to take a look at a couple of nearly new kayaks for the boys. They are excited, because they have been saving up for these boats with birthday and Christmas money. 

• Like 3

Yesterday I did a brain dump for school planning, and the game was to figure out what each subject would look like if I planned it to be as low key and pleasant as possible. That was interesting. Writing looked a lot like what I do when I'm focused on NaNo during November--a lot of just writing, but with more exercises on fiction components. Grammar got an infusion of composition, too. Spelling lost the tests and practice, and mixed in with writing, and became vocabulary building. Math couldn't be made better, IMO, but I thought more hands-on math with drawing, like geometry, would be pleasant. History and science became documentary and read/think only work.

No internet research, but lots of library work and possibly experiments.

Reading time increased to take up most of the day. Latin involved more reading and translation. French added movies to watch in French and listening to radio stations in French during the day. Art would continue as we already are doing, but we'd spend more time during the week drawing and painting on our own. And there would be more music in the house, more time plunking around on the piano for me, and we would hike more and boat more when the water and weather allowed. 

I don't know that I'll do any of the above, but it was interesting to see what I would do, if all I thought about was making things pleasant for the teacher. :laugh:

• Like 3

I keep forgetting to come check in! School went well on Tuesday and Wednesday. We didn't have to leave the house either day so we meandered through the school work and took a lot of breaks. It was nice to have a couple of really slow days.

I have started planning a little bit for next year. At the moment I'm trying to decide if I want my oldest to break off from the younger two for history and science. I'd like to get one more run through world history and the science cycle done for him in the next three years before high school. The other two don't need to do it that fast so I was thinking maybe one year of American history for them and then back to world history. But then everyone wouldn't be together and I don't know how hard it will be to teach two different history and science years. I am completely stuck at the moment. That got long, sorry!

Today they each have their own math, assigned reading, writing and grammar to do. Oldest has Spanish, younger two have cursive. Together we've got our read aloud, memory work, science reading and another section from SOTW 4 to do. DD8 has ballet this evening. Its going to be a busy day!

• Like 3

Yesterday I did a brain dump for school planning, and the game was to figure out what each subject would look like if I planned it to be as low key and pleasant as possible.

A brain dump for school planning is a great idea! I think I will take some time over the weekend to do this. Hopefully it will help me figure out a good path forward into the middle school grades for my oldest. I should also have a conversation with each kid to find out if they have an opinion about next year.

• Like 4

Hello, everyone! Checking in since we are slowly getting back to school as the baby is getting better every day. :thumbup1: He's still very clingy and coughs quite a bit so we cuddle and play together in the mornings and save school work for his nap time.

The problem is that the big kids are not as focused in the afternoon so yesterday we didn't get it all done. We did our first Cocoa Classics and finished a book we've been working on for a while. The kids loved the added "cocoa" aspect. :) Dd practiced piano and did a long math lesson (multiplication). Then we went to piano lessons.

Ds did phonics lesson 70 and handwriting practice letter h, j, and w.

A decent attempt at school after 6 days in a row off, I thought. We'll see what we get done this afternoon. No pressure.

• Like 4

Hello, everyone! Checking in since we are slowly getting back to school as the baby is getting better every day.  :thumbup1: He's still very clingy and coughs quite a bit so we cuddle and play together in the mornings and save school work for his nap time. 

Glad the baby is feeling better. Coughing is usually a good thing with pneumonia. Better out than in!

• Like 3

It's cold out there! Went for a half-mile walk with the dogs this morning.

Today's schedule:

French-quiz

Latin-recitation, part of worksheet 6

Math-Lesson 2, 1 pg KTD

Grammar/Comp-Spelling quiz, lesson 5 in grammar, WWS Day 4

History/Science-swap from Wed

Literature/Creative Writing-swap from Wed

For me: French, Latin, Geometry, Writing, Housekeeping, a very little cooking. Got to finish one more critique, and get all three sent out sometime today, too.

• Like 3

We reviewed, I had him go over the review, he still only made a 74 on his math test! I'm not sure I want to try and pull him through high school math. Im tired of him half reading instructions and not looking at the example problems, why does he think that math is going to conform to him? He just goes through and works the problems the way he wants. I'm getting tired of my dh telling me to take it easy on him when my neck is the one that's on the line. He shows no signs of algebra readiness at all! I guess it's a good thing he only needs three math credits to graduate.

On a less whiny note, youngest got math, spelling test, music practice, cursive handwriting, duolingo Spanish and German nad a chapter of his literature reading done. I think I've decided what I'm going to spend my Amazon gift card on and I started a load of laundry.

• Like 3

Wrapping up our homeschool week this afternoon!

Here's what we've been up to:

Thursday- dd did a short order of operations math lesson with her dad, independent and family reading time, a dictionary skills lesson, writing remediation for 30 minutes total, spread through the day,  a 30 minute piano practice, and some work in her history notebook. Ds did phonics lesson 71, handwriting practice 2 or 3 letters (don't remember which ones), and a 100 chart math lesson.

Today- dd did independent and family reading, poetry tea, writing remediation, Multiplication 2 Ways lesson, a history video and more notebooking. She is reading a story to her younger brother now. Once the baby wakes up, she needs to practice piano. Then I'm calling school done for the day. Ds did phonics lesson 72, handwriting practice letters h, m, and w. We also started practicing his numbers on the dashed mid line paper at his request. So today we practiced 1, 4, and 5. He did a little math lesson on the white board with me. 

Hopefully, we'll be back to full speed next week. I have been planning away after the kids go to bed. Next year will be my first year record keeping for 2 students.  :ohmy:  I think I am only undecided on spelling and grammar for dd. Everything else I have chosen and am happy about. I just have to add a cute little story: The kids got their dad to help them surprise me with a Happy Planner to use as my homeschool planner this coming school year. I use a Happy Planner for everything else. I quite literally carry it around the house with me all day. So they had their dad pick one up at Michaels. They wrapped it and drew cards for me and everything. Dd said, "now you can have even *more* fun planning our lessons with your favorite planner!" I was totally surprised. I had my eye on a certain homeschool planner and at first, before I processed their gesture, I was a little bummed I wouldn't get the planner I wanted. But now, I love it and think of their excitement every time I pick it up.  :laugh:

• Like 3

Grading status:

Algebra - all caught up except for one page which appears to be missing and today's work.  (Dd is looking for them)

Logic - all caught up

Literature - all caught up except for one revised draft which needs to be handed back to me.  (Dd is looking for this too.)

Geography - all caught up.

Biology - all caught up

Japanese - all caught up

Grammar - all caught up.

• Like 3

Grading status:

Algebra - all caught up except for one page which appears to be missing and today's work. (Dd is looking for them)

Logic - all caught up

Literature - all caught up except for one revised draft which needs to be handed back to me. (Dd is looking for this too.)

Biology - all caught up

Japanese - all caught up

Grammar - all caught up.

Yay!

• Like 3

Grading status:

Algebra - all caught up except for one page which appears to be missing and today's work. (Dd is looking for them)

Logic - all caught up

Literature - all caught up except for one revised draft which needs to be handed back to me. (Dd is looking for this too.)

Biology - all caught up

Japanese - all caught up

Grammar - all caught up.

Way to go, Jean! :) :)

• Like 2