Menu

Formal Grammar for a 12-year-old who never did any?

Sorry I have so many questions, but I'm trying to break them up by topic so as not to ask everything on one page.

My DD12 has worked through several years of Houghton-Mifflin Spelling and Vocabulary textbooks. I like them: they are sensible, have built-in thesaurus and dictionary, plan out a year in weeks very easily, and are open-and-go; no teacher prep needed, and are pretty much self-teaching.

They also include bits and pieces of word study (affixes and word roots), a chance to proofread and improve dictionary/thesaurus skills, and some creative writing, in each weekly unit, as well as have a larger writing assignment every 6 weeks.

So why am I even switching at all? Two reasons: one, they only go as high as Grade 7, so once my DD12 finishes this one (IF I decide to have her finish it) that will be the end of that, and two, even though they go over and over the "writing process"  we were taught in school, I never met anyone who became an excellent writer due to that method, but only in spite of it. Even if we ignore the writing component, the grammar component is pretty weak.

What can a person start with who has not had formal grammar and is likely to need to catch up on basic Grammar stage dictation and summary skills, who is 12/ 7th grade/ logic stage?

Analytical Grammar! Start now and just work through it consistently at a pace that is manageable given her other workload. Also, Writing With Skill 1. It might be intense in the beginning (having had a very different type of writing instruction previously), but it is so worth it. I just really think it is a very sensible way to teach writing.

• Like 1

Sorry I have so many questions, but I'm trying to break them up by topic so as not to ask everything on one page.

My DD12 has worked through several years of Houghton-Mifflin Spelling and Vocabulary textbooks. I like them: they are sensible, have built-in thesaurus and dictionary, plan out a year in weeks very easily, and are open-and-go; no teacher prep needed, and are pretty much self-teaching.

They also include bits and pieces of word study (affixes and word roots), a chance to proofread and improve dictionary/thesaurus skills, and some creative writing, in each weekly unit, as well as have a larger writing assignment every 6 weeks.

So why am I even switching at all? Two reasons: one, they only go as high as Grade 7, so once my DD12 finishes this one (IF I decide to have her finish it) that will be the end of that, and two, even though they go over and over the "writing process"  we were taught in school, I never met anyone who became an excellent writer due to that method, but only in spite of it. Even if we ignore the writing component, the grammar component is pretty weak.

What can a person start with who has not had formal grammar and is likely to need to catch up on basic Grammar stage dictation and summary skills, who is 12/ 7th grade/ logic stage?

Easy Grammar Plus. It doesn't do diagramming, so if that's what you want, then probably Analytical Grammar. But Easy Grammar was my favorite. I understand diagramming now that I have completed EG myself.

If you don't mind Christian material, there is Rod & Staff.  That is what I use with 14yo.  It builds on previously learned material year after year.  That can be time consuming.  We do as much of the lesson as possible orally.  You might not have the time for that with many younger children who need you too.  We use a separate writing program.

My 14yo needs lots of practice.  In addition to R&S we use Daily Grammar Practice.  

I seriously considered Easy Grammar Plus this year because Rod & Staff can be so time consuming.  

An older daughter tried Analytical Grammar and did okay with it.  I like the idea of learning it once without years of repetition if not needed.