Menu

Help me choose a Latin curriculum, please!

Hello, newly learning about and transitioning to classical methods with TWTM4.

I have a hardcover small copy (same one I used in school) of Ecce Romani! I and II combined, which is a whole-to-parts method book. I happen to have loved it, but I was also a person who absorbed languages effortlessly, and was able to jump into the latter half of 2nd-year Latin in high school, without any prior Latin, without any trouble...in fact, won some awards in academic competitions.

But my DD12 HATES the book, finds it hard to use. After reading TWTM4, and reading about whole-to-parts versus parts-to-whole, I can see that if my daughter is like most people (which she is; we already know that the weirdness in this family is all on my side, and she takes strongly after my husband) she might do far better with parts-to-whole, which I always found too boring, whereas whole-to-parts was fun, challenging, and stimulating, for me.

People are different.

So: looking at Susan Wise Bauer's suggestions for Latin curriculum, I was shocked at the prices! A quick check of the Minerva search of all interconnected libraries in my area confirmed that I was not going to be able to borrow any Latin curriculum, for free.

Therefore I need to find a good introductory parts-to-whole Latin curriculum, affordably, whether used or new, somehow, and I have no idea what to look for out there.

Can anyone recommend something sensible, affordable, and classic in approach (rather than 'immersion' or whole-to-parts)?

A bonus would be a recommendation for something I can use with younger children. If it's something with an audio component, I would rather avoid ecclesiastical pronunciation if possible.

we used several different programs over the years.  Minimus was the favorite.  We also used Latin for Children.  Dds liked the songs for memorization.  I also used Latin Road to English Grammar.  LRTEG was very different.  It covered both English grammar and Latin at the same time.  If I had to do it over again, I think I would look at BigBook of Lively Latin.  I forgot to add Latin's Not so Tough!  This is a slower paced program which has some advantages.

As a side note, one of my dds liked Latin's Not so Tough and asked to use the author's Hey Andrew program for Greek. 

There are zillions of Latin threads here and you will find many opinions. 

My humanities girl has enjoyed Latin for Children and Latin Alive. Published by Classical Academic Press. Very parts to whole. Shouldn't be a problem to find these used here or on Homeschool Classifieds. Now may not be the best time, though. Late spring and early summer will be better. Everything except the Student book is non-consumable. We don't use the Activity books for LfC b/c they are just busywork. 

We also did a run through of Getting Started With Latin, a $10 Kindle purchase that we did orally on the ipad. More whole to parts, but an excellent intro to reading Latin.

Memoria Press is very whole to parts, but I find it deadly dull and I don't love Henle for high school, so we looked elsewhere. YMMV.

We have also done tons of Latin and I have purchased more that we didn't complete or even start.

On a budget the best path, in my opinion, would be Getting Started With Latin ( about $ 10 on Kindle ) then / or Latin book 1 & 2 free online with yahoo groups that has all the books and answer keys. Since you have a working knowledge of Latin.

A bit more money and I would do GSWL as above and First Form Latin 1 & 2 along with Latin book 1 & 2 for extra practice or Wheelock's of an older child. 

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Latinbk1/info

• Like 1

I've heard so many people recommend Getting Started With Latin.  That is where I would start since the price is right.  You'll be able to find out if Latin is something she'll truly be interested in without spending too much money.

I use many Memoria Press materials, but I have to agree that I found the Latin dry also.  The only other program I've tried is Lively Latin.  I love it!  Big Book 1 has short videos for the lessons.  She teaches using classical pronunciation, but there are audio files for both classical and ecclesiastical.  Some folks leave out Roman history but we enjoy reading the stories.  I use the PDF files and print the lessons at home.  The cost of ink or lack of a printer at home can be a con for some families.

My son and I are enjoying Memoria Press's Form Series. He started with Prima Latina in 5th grade; it was very easy, but he enjoyed it. We followed with First Form Latin, and we are now completing Second Form Latin. We don't think it is dull at all! (I have looked at Cambridge and other whole-to-parts books. I'm impressed that anyone could learn Latin that way!) 

There is something out there for everybody! If what you choose doesn't work, try another method!

Good luck!

• Like 1