Menu

Question about dictation

Embarking on this journey as a newbie, just bought TWTM 4th ed. and WWE, and am looking at getting WWS for my DD12. Since I don't have that book yet, forgive my asking what may be spelled out plainly in it:

When giving dictation, is the student supposed to start writing as we are reading, or listen intently and try to remember the whole paragraph (or more?) before then putting it on paper entirely from memory?

Thank you for any help.

My kids are younger, so we havent gotten into WWS yet.

In the WWE instructor guide, I believe it introduces dictation. I would assume dictation should be taught step by step no matter how old the student is.

I believe it says something like read whole sentences or sentence fragments, just make sure the student is being made to remember at least part of the sentence as the write it, as opposed to writing down one word at a time.

I would assume that the student would be exected to be able to write larger amounts of text with practice.

• Like 1

Dictation is a skill built over time.  If you're child has never done it before, they may need to hear small chunks of the sentence a little at a time, then one whole sentence, then finally a short passage.  I think when they start writing is probably up to them, though waiting till mom is done talking seems easiest for my daughter. :)

• Like 1

It's not spelled out as clearly as it could be, IMO. Ideally, the child memorizes the entire passage as you read it a few times, then writes.

I highly recommend this video SWB produced, called "Dictation with Dan." She demonstrates how to do dictation with one of her children. It helped us tremendously.

Part 1

Part 2

• Like 1

It's not spelled out as clearly as it could be, IMO. Ideally, the child memorizes the entire passage as you read it a few times, then writes.

I highly recommend this video SWB produced, called "Dictation with Dan." She demonstrates how to do dictation with one of her children. It helped us tremendously.

Part 1

Part 2

"Dictation with Dan" is pure gold.

And "Dictation with Ben" is also brilliant.

• Like 1