Menu

when to know your kid has mastered the addition and substraction facts?

Princess5

I asked Kate Snow this question during her subtraction webinar the other day. She said that ideally, the child will be able to come up with the math fact in 3 seconds or less. She also said that was Ideal, and that some children are slower, but what you want is a kid that answers without really thinking about it. Xtramath.org allows kids to practice, and tests for the 3 second mastery.

Edited by knitgrl
  • Like 2

Oh dear..... poor daughter of mine, seems we might never get to this point. I then remind myself that she will not be thirty and struggling.

We've been using the addition facts that Stick for almost a year now. Just the first four weeks over and over (I'm not sure how the book is laid out, but I took her 6 week e-course). Playing the games as often as I remember in between our other math program.

He can finally answer most within 3 seconds.

Just consistency in practice. Making it fun. It will stick eventually. :) don't stress!

Sent from my U9200 using Tapatalk

Edited by Jacbeaumont
  • Like 1

My youngest went through Addition Facts that Stick and it definitely improved her ability to do addition and picture problems in her head but she still needs more practice and is not completely accurate yet. I will be using the subtraction version that comes out soon and I am deciding whether to keep practicing with the addition book too or using Cuisenaire rods or a mix. I will probably do a mix. I do believe practicing with visualizing and then playing games is helping her develop a math sense. My son needs multiplications facts practice and I think practicing visualizing the problem and how to decompose it with Cuisenaire rods will help. I wish there was something similar to Addition Facts that Stick for multiplication and division using Cuisenaire rods.

Oh dear..... poor daughter of mine, seems we might never get to this point. I then remind myself that she will not be thirty and struggling.

Yep. We are halfway through second grade, and although she generally gets the right answer for addition facts, my dd takes a bit longer than 3 seconds to come up with them Crossing my fingers she will be to that point by the end of this year. :001_unsure: