Menu

What sorts of books did your beginner boys read?

My 8yo loves reading but it is not an area of strength for him.  He has really been enjoying the Geronimo Stilton series but feels like he is ready to move on to something a bit more difficult.  Because reading is hard for him I need recommendations for a step above this reading level that would also be of high interest to an 8/9 year old boy.  What have your boys loved at this reading level?

Spiderwick and How to Train Your Dragon mostly, that I can remember.

My current 8yo (girl) *loves* Thornton Burgess books. She's read a large portion of the smaller Adventures of ____ books. And the Magic School Bus chapter books.

The smaller Roald Dahl books were great intro chapter books. Frank Einstein may go over well.

Below are a few ideas, but they might be too big of a jump -- but perhaps intermix longer chapter books in slowly, and continue to strengthen his success with reading and build confidence/fluency with more books at a similar level as Geronimo Stilton:

- Scholastic Branches series

- Secrets of Droon series

- Dragon Slayer Academy series

- A to Z Mystery series

- Jigsaw Jones Mystery series

Grade 3-4 chapter book ideas:

- Time Warp Trio series (Scieszka)

- Roman Mysteries series (Lawrence)

- The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet (Cameron)

- Follow My Leader (Garfield)

- Dolphin Adventure; Dolphin Treasure (Grover)

- The Mouse and the Motorcycle (Cleary)

- Mr. Revere and I; Ben and Me (Lawson)

My DS9 never liked leveled readers much, though he loved "Wagon Wheels" by Barbara Brenner, because it is based on a true story of boys who had to travel alone over many miles in the frontier days, to find and reunite with their father. But my son has never cared much for modern fiction...he even turns his nose up at Henry Huggins from Beverly Cleary.

He still prefers to hear good fiction read aloud, and some examples of note have been

Carry On, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Latham

Five Children and It by Edith Nesbit

Pippi Longstocking (Astrid whose last name I forget)

Peter Pan by JM Barrie (unabridged)

Little Lord Fauntleroy (parts of which we all found tiresome due to the over-the-top angelic depiction of him but still worth reading)

He likes family read-alouds, likes audiobooks (but prefers my reading if the audiobook is a Librivox recording as those aren't generally the best), and he reads nicely and expressively when he takes a turn, at the books above, but somewhere between two lengthy paragraphs and a page, he wears out and wants me to read more.

As for the fiction books aimed at kids his age, he mostly hates them. He says they are boring, and I quite agree.

My son loved Geronimo Stilton books a few years ago.  He also liked (still likes in some cases) books of Pokemon characters, the Pokemon stories, some manga, comic books like Calvin & Hobbes - some of these are actually higher reading level than you would expect, but aren't big blocks of text which helped.  More traditionally, he liked Diary of a Wimpy Kid,  Stink books, Judy Moody, Hank Zipzer, Mouse and the Motorcycle series.  He really liked series with the same characters over and over again.

Wrenly books were huge fr him. Cam Jansen, Nate The Great, Dragon Masters...those kinds of books.

One series my boys both loved that I don't see mentioned often, is Tales From Maple Ridge.

But my reluctant reader, especially, kept wanting to read books well below his level. From three word "level A"scholastic readers, up to relatively good books like Bunjitsu Bunny (which I can not recommend enough).

And what REALLY got him reading, were graphic novels. He got the Amulet series for Christmas and has already read them all at least twice.  This is my boy who this time last year swore out loud that he'd never read for fun :laugh:  There are really well done GNs out there! He started with adaptations of like Hercules and Jason & the Argonaughts--stories he knew inside and out-- then moved into other things.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Puppy Place

Magic Puppies

Any appropriate-level book with a dog/puppy. So, so many. He finally moved on to Rick Riordan and Greek gods, thank goodness.

I concentrated on reading to him individually, more than my older DS who was ready to read anything when he was 7. I forget that, besides our regular read alouds for both, my younger one needs me to read to him just a bit above where he is, so he can see he can do it.

My oldest didn't want anything to do with novels, but he devoured anything non-fiction. So I would go to the library and bring a stack of books on a variety of subjects and he would read through it. After a couple years of that I finally got him to read some chapter books, but I think reading all that non-fiction really improved his reading and vocabulary.

• Like 1

My oldest didn't want anything to do with novels, but he devoured anything non-fiction. So I would go to the library and bring a stack of books on a variety of subjects and he would read through it. After a couple years of that I finally got him to read some chapter books, but I think reading all that non-fiction really improved his reading and vocabulary.

My brother spent three or four years around this age reading a few kids books on alternative energy over and over and over and over.

Around that age I recall some of the following: 

Wagon Wheels (someone else mentioned this- my kids both LOVED it!) 
Tornado
Magic Tree House
The Bears on Hemlock Mountain 
The Matchlock Gun 
Diary of a Wimpy Kid series 
The Legend of Zelda manga series 
Encyclopedia Brown 

The Littles 

I've managed to collect all the Sonlight readers for grades 1-4, so that's what I used for my boys until they were ready to choose any books that appealed to them. Beverly Cleary and Andrew Clements books stand out in my memory.

They still don't love reading the way their sister does. Sigh... But at least I know they can read most anything they are interested in.

Edited by TKDmom

Magic Treehouse series

every Beverly Cleary book

The Boxcar Children series

The Littles

Hank the Cowdog

Calvin and Hobbes

Dinotopia (chapter book series)

Thornton Burgess books

Magic School Bus (picture books and chapter books)

Lots by Roald Dahl

I think the above books were all read hundreds of times by my two boys...

And then, later, 39 Clues.