Menu

Speaking of door issues

Moxie

Our back doors are like regular doors (not sliding) with double glass panels, one inside and one outside. There are blinds in the middle. DH hit the outside glass with a rock and it shattered. We need to replace it but we can not find a brand name anywhere on the door. Who do I call? A window company?

I was able to take a window in to a local glass store and they measured the glass. Then I brought back the window a few days later when they were ready and they installed the glass. It was surprisingly inexpensive (compared to replacing the window.) Perhaps your door can be done the same way.

Edited by SusanC

If the blinds aren't damaged, then a glass company MIGHT be able to put them in a new unit.  The glass should be tempered (breaks into thousands of little pieces), so it will have to be ordered if it's not a stock size.  It might even be something you could do yourself if you can find a tempered glass unit the same size, cut it apart and caulk it back together.  

It won't be as cheap as a window because it's tempered glass.  I ordered seven pieces years ago that were $70 each for reference.  

I'd call a glass shop and have them come out and give you a bid. We had an outer window pane break (no blinds in the middle though) and we had to have the entire pane replaced. Something about a vacuum between the two pieces to make the glass more thermal.

This is what my neighbor did. She called the glass shops and windows shops. They came and gave her a quote. The vacuum between the two pieces is also for sound proofing purposes beside the heat insulation. She paid for a thicker glass than the original and I don't know how much she ended up paying because she was replacing a few windows that faced an expressway.

Vacuum insulated glass is NOT on the market, and probably won't be for years (one atmosphere is about 15 pounds per square inch).  The seal is there to keep moisture out so you don't get condensation inside the panel.  There's also desiccant in the spacer to absorb any minor moisture leakage so it's entirely feasible to do something like this yourself. Even fill it with Argon if you feel like it.  

Did you check the hinges carefully?  that's the most likely place to have the name.  Or on the lockset if it's a specialty type for a French door.  The glass place could probably identify the shade also.   

We experienced a similar situation with our front door. A rock shattered the outside glass. Ours had a leaded glass panel between the interior/exterior panels so we only lost the outside. But, it was outrageously expensive to replace the glass from the original manufacturer. We took our measurements to Home Depot and they were able to order a new panel (all 3 pieces) for 1/3 the cost of the original quote we received. I would recommend checking your local home improvement store. We were able to install it ourselves too.