How do you feel about food banks?

athomeontheprairie

285 members have voted

1. 1. Should food banks be available?

• Yes, no questions asked
    • Yes, with questions asked
    • Yes, but users must submit documentation proving need
    • Yes, but with strict limits on use
    • Yes, but only for those with.... (please specify the requirement)
    • No, people who use them should get a job
    • No, people shouldn't ask for a hand out
    • No, if they have children and can't feed them, take away the kids
    • No
    • Required other

I don't think canned food is marked up high enough to reflect a wholesale price that you mention.  Some food products have higher markup due to other reasons such as more loss due to being perishable, but canned goods and staples aren't marked up that high.

*googlegooglegoogle*

Q. Which do you need more: food or money? 

A. Donating food provides a variety of nutritious, quality products for which we are grateful; however, money goes much further. The Houston Food Bank can stretch your dollar through our partnerships with the food industry. In fact, for every dollar donated we are able to obtain and distribute $6 in food - enough for three meals.

http://www.houstonfoodbank.org/aboutus/faqs/#What%20does%20the%20Food%20Bank%20need%20more,%20food%20or%20money

One dollar becomes six dollars when you donate cash rather than buying canned soup.

• Like 4

I don't know much about food banks in general but I have an overall positive view of them. We donate occasionally when the scouts do a drive.

Every LDS congregation has access to a "Bishop's storehouse" where people can get food items when needed. The bishop is responsible for helping those that need it get access to it. (Usually by submitting an order for food) Most (all?) items are stocked with money donated through "fast offerings" from the members so there is a regular selection of quality food, much of it packed by the church. Interestingly though, the church asks that those that take food also contribute in some way, for example, by stocking shelves for a couple hours. I think that would discourage scammers or those who didn't really need it.

May I ask a few questions about these, if you don't mind? I don't know anyone IRL who is LDS to ask, and I've been wondering for a while. I'm assuming the Bishop's Storehouse are only open to church members - is that correct? I got some items a while back that were labeled LDS Storehouse / Deseret Industries in a box and was curious. These from from a non-LDS pantry, so I'm assuming they were donated to the local food bank - is that commonly done?

I will say the items I got were FAR better quality than the cheap stuff from the local store normally donated. I'd gladly purchase in a store!

The local supermarkets have a rotation schedule, so four days a week someone is delivering day-old bread and nearly-expired produce in reasonable quantities.

That's a win-win for them - the hungry get food, and they get a tax write-off, without having to pay to dispose of all that stuff.

NPR has an article on schools doing something similar, donating still-good food that would otherwise have been thrown out - whole fruit, unopened yogurts, that sort of thing. When the older kiddo enters high school, I'll talk to her school about doing this. If they can do it without dragging in the entire DoE, they will - all the high schools she picked are very big into social justice, or else they have poor students and can probably see the wisdom of this set-up without the help.

(Cash is still better, of course, but if it's good food and you're just going to toss it anyway, you may as well make the most of it. It's best if you avoid getting too much food in the first place, but sometimes things happen.)

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 3

I have worked at a few food banks run from churches.  The last one I worked was no questions asked, but you had to sign in and fill out a quick, easy form.  We only did the food distribution one day a month, though.

I agree that questions should be minimal.  But here is what we saw every single month.  People who pretended to not speak English and try to game our system so that they could go through the line more than once.  Parents coming with whole families and having children scatter to grab food from different stations so that they could get more.  One large family came and cleaned the apples right off of a tree on church property without asking while they waited to get their food and then explained that they needed more because they run a restaurant.  People pretending to forget something so they could go back in.  And on and on.

It feels rotten to have to play food police at these sort of things and honestly, our set up was never seamless and couldn't have been, but at the same time, it didn't feel great either to have to explain to OTHER people why this person or that family was getting more than them! On the other hand, it was so neat to be able to let people take what they wanted from a huge crate of fresh produce...even if some people stood there filling bags the ENTIRE time.  lol  

But I think food banks are a sad necessity and do wish there were better ways of getting food from places that can't keep it to those who need it.  So much wasted money, gas, and energy transporting all this crap from place to place as it doesn't get bought or used and then passed on to the next group of people!

I voted other.  There are a variety of different types of food banks and I think that the types of "questions asked" is going to depend on the type of food bank.  I absolutely think they should exist in the very general sense.  But I think that private charities should be able to run their food banks however they want.  If a church opens a food bank every Saturday and the church members run and volunteer for it, they should be able to decide if they want to ask questions or not.

This

*googlegooglegoogle*

http://www.houstonfoodbank.org/aboutus/faqs/#What%20does%20the%20Food%20Bank%20need%20more,%20food%20or%20money

One dollar becomes six dollars when you donate cash rather than buying canned soup.

I'm not disputing that with partnerships the food banks can buy food cheaper than I can. Much cheaper! I was responding to the assertion that wholesale prices are half the shelf price.  That's all. 

ETA: I just found this in an NPR article on giving cash to food banks instead of donating food.  I'm pretty shocked at their numbers- if they can buy 20 times the amount of food we can for the same price, we probably should explore revamping the SNAP program to somehow provide them the same awesome pricing. 

CONAN: And you say for the same amount of money spent on buying cans for a food drive, donors can feed 20 times more families by providing cash as opposed to cans.

ROSQUETA: That's absolutely right. One of the things that we have available to us now in the United States, is actually a surplus of food. That surplus, when it gets donated to food banks, can then be made available to local pantries and soup kitchens around the country. And because these are either donated food or food that is purchased by the network of food banks at wholesale prices, the same $10 that you would spend to, say, get three cans of food, could actually buy retail value 20 times more food. And that can be the difference between just providing enough for lunch for a couple of people to actually feeding a family of four for a week.

Edited by Annie G
  • Like 1

ETA: I just found this in an NPR article on giving cash to food banks instead of donating food.  I'm pretty shocked at their numbers- if they can buy 20 times the amount of food we can for the same price, we probably should explore revamping the SNAP program to somehow provide them the same awesome pricing. 

Right now, SNAP can be used in regular grocery stores. If we revamped it so that SNAP bought wholesale foods, we'd have to have SNAP food distribution centers and that would inevitably make it much, much harder for hungry people to get food. You couldn't go to the local WalMart or Kroger when you get off a shift at 11 pm, you'd have to set a day aside to go wait in line at some place that's 10 miles away. If you have to work that day, you're out of luck. We pay grocery stores for the convenience they offer us to buy in smaller quantities at convenient times close to home. It's a valuable service.

• Like 8

We have one or two here that I've used on occasion. The problem is because they are government

subsidized they're "nutrition" info is not all that great. What I mean is, it's all about loading the recipient up

with highly processed breads and sweet,  a few canned goods, and produce that may or may not be on its last day.

I'm sorry, but for the hour of my time I've just spent there, I'd rather scrape up my pennies and coupons to get some

decent produce et al., thanks.

Except if you have LTFA. Because we all trust the system to be able to deal with those, right? A lot of dd's allergies are to so-called "healthy foods" - they aren't healthy for her for sure though.

I have a school that does the summer feeding within walking distance for us. We still can't use it because they won't accommodate DD's allergies {even by just telling us which foods contain her allergens so we can safely skip those meals}.

I have no idea what LTFA is, but I know most medical needs as well as kosher reqts aren't covered. I can't eat there either, because the folic acid in the grains doesn't work for my genetics. Thats why I think the future is meals on wheels and automated fast food cards....those meals can be tailored , just as airline meals are.

I'm not disputing that with partnerships the food banks can buy food cheaper than I can. Much cheaper! I was responding to the assertion that wholesale prices are half the shelf price. That's all.

We sometimes go to Grocery Outlet. The food that has just expired gets marked down by 90% compared to Safeway or Target prices. The food that is expiring soon gets marked down by about 50-75%.

My DS12 loves brie. The Presidents brie cheese log 6oz cost about $7 retail and $2 at Grocery Outlet.

Since Grocery Outlet still have to pay for staff and rent, I assume wholesale prices are much cheaper than retail prices.

There are a variety of options around here. Some ask questions, some require you to sit and pray with them, others just hand food out. The quality of food varies significantly as well.  

Having navigated the system for some time, I would prefer no questions asked. I am used to leaving my pride at the door after all the hoop jumping, but I wish I didn't have to.

ETA we also volunteer at a regional food distribution center for food banks. They prefer cash donations.

Edited by PinkyandtheBrains.
  • Like 5

I voted yes with no questions asked. But what I mean by that is food banks are run by private people and agencies. Private people and agencies should be allowed to give away food however they darned well please. If they want to have qualifiers, their choice. If they don't, also their choice. 

If you had to qualify people would fall through the cracks who miss qualifying. Food banks should be no questions asked. People might need help putting food on the table even if they do not meet qualifications. Most people going to a food bank need help getting food. It is not worth worrying about the rare person using it who does not need it when people who do need it could go hungry.

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 5

I have belonged to two churches that had food banks. Both had a LOT of people trying to abuse the system. By that I mean there were lots of people who wanted extra food to sell to neighbors, who sold the food their food stamps were for and ate from the food bank, ect. Our community was not that "poor" to begin with, so there was not the need that some places have, for sure, so that was probably part of it. In a needier neighborhood it might be different, with more cooperation. I am skeptical of food banks in good neighborhoods because of that. It's always going to be hard to get people to give cash to food banks because we all know of private charities that are wasteful with actual money but would have to give food to people.

• Like 1

1. If you want to help the local food bank, and you want them to offer better quality foods, donate cash. Cash is king.

2. Seriously, donate cash.

3. I'd be glad if we didn't need food banks. We have the resources to feed everybody, after all. If I thought that closing down all the food banks would prompt the government to get their collective butt in gear and do things right, I'd go for that. But I don't think that. As it is, food banks are a regrettable necessity.

4. While I understand what prompts some charities to require documentation, I also understand that for the neediest, that documentation may be hard to get. I'd rather feed ten scammers than let one kid go hungry.

I don't know that its a simple calculation though, because the amount of food they have is finite.  If you feed ten scammers, you may well have some children going hungry as a result. 

• Like 2

Yes, no questions asked.

I've worked food banks and I've taken people to food banks. People who go to a food bank have already made the difficult decision to put aside their pride. Making them prove they need it is degrading. 

Record keeping isn't necessarily about making people prove anything.  In a lot of cases it is about making sure people aren't going to move than one food bank or going more often than they are suposed to.  The idea being that what is available needs to be distributed amongst all the people who need it.

• Like 3

What is good to donate? It's always best to ask the charity you are donating too. They are going to be the most knowledgeable about what they are specifically in need of for the population they serve. Some might get most of their donations from stores, restaurants, or whatever and my have an over abundance of food......but really need feminine hygiene products. Others might not do anything but pantry stable foods. Some might just need more help. (ie donating time rather than stuff). The one I donated to in November was asking for frozen foods so I went and got a bunch of the on sale turkeys and they were thrilled when I brought them back.

:iagree:

I've used food banks and I've volunteered and donated with and without SNAP benefits. I agree about asking and donating non-food items. SNAP benefits cannot be used for things like toothpaste and toilet paper or tampons. 

Also things like peanut butter and jelly. One food bank kept a special supply for families with small children that needed urgent assistance. 

The only one I know of is not a no questions asked.  The food they have is absolute crap and they basically hand you a bag of very random crap with no consideration for your health.  But I guess if you have nothing else it is better than nothing.

But I have no ill feelings towards the concept.  I wish somehow they could offer better quality food.

I volunteered for a time with the local Northern Illinois Food Bank at the main warehouse in our area. We some days helped sort donated foods. Other days we ripped labels off can after can after can of slightly "wrong" food (think the color of the pumpkin on a Libby's label not being the correct shade of orange, that sort of thing. Nothing amiss with the food itself) and sticking on a Food Bank label (manufacturer donated with stipulation no one besides us would see the poorly colored label. I am talking hundreds of thousands of cans of pumpkin). Other times we helped process tons of flats of canned veggies (for example) that the Food Bank was able to buy with donated money, usually in bulk from Walmart if that was cheapest. Point is - if you want to see your local food bank offer better quality foods, are you donating the food or donating the money to purchase the food? And be aware a food bank is going to try to get the most food value they can with the money they have. So generic stuff, basic canned veggies/tuna/soup. We processed a lot of "crap" along with better stuff since that is what was donated (think flats of slightly dented boxes of sugary kid cereal. Or tons of slightly past sell by date cheap white bread. There were a few times when it was Bread Day that we had a lot of high quality whole grain bread to sort...but the local folks who handed otu the food told us to stop sending it as 99% of the folks coming for food would not take it, or rye bread. No one wanted rye bread.) Once in a while it would be hairnet , smock and gloves time and huge containers of dried beans or pasta would need to be measured/weighed and repacked into smaller containers. So it is always better to donate money to your local food bank, or your time to help sort stuff, than to go through your cupboard and pull out a random assortment of things to donate.

I also remember that in one corner there would be piles of boxes and bags of food collected and donated by local food drives. But since it was random stuff and would take many volunteer hours to sort (tossing clearly decayed stuff, stuff in glass containers, checking for sell by dates etc) it was a low priority. We could "move" a lot more food per shift concentrating on repacking the huge flats of donated or purchased canned goods, bins of hams/bacon/etc (vacuum bagged, we did not handle raw meat itself), even sorting huge bins of donated onions once (tossing rotten bulbs and repacking the ones still usable in ten pound mesh bags).

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 5

I like that they exist. We haven't needed to use them, but I know people who have needed them and I'm grateful they are in place.

I also wish they weren't so regulated. It more than kind of sucks that the quality of food is determined based on whether or not the facility meets certain government codes. I get and understand the need for food-safety measures, but if we want to tackle some of the health problems facing those in poverty (and the homeless), having regular access to more than canned and processed shelf foods would be a priority on my list. I'm not sure how we could do that, but... pipe dreams :)

The church food banks do not, to the best of my knowledge (and I could be wrong), require any proof of income (or lack of income) for the food banks. They tend to require more documentation for things like cash assistance, rent assistance, gas assistance, and other things that require they outlay larger amounts of money toward one party/family/person.

Right now, SNAP can be used in regular grocery stores. If we revamped it so that SNAP bought wholesale foods, we'd have to have SNAP food distribution centers and that would inevitably make it much, much harder for hungry people to get food. You couldn't go to the local WalMart or Kroger when you get off a shift at 11 pm, you'd have to set a day aside to go wait in line at some place that's 10 miles away. If you have to work that day, you're out of luck. We pay grocery stores for the convenience they offer us to buy in smaller quantities at convenient times close to home. It's a valuable service.

I wasn't really serious about changing how SNAP works- just kind of musing that if food banks can get 20 times the food for a dollar than I can then that buying power would be pretty helpful to families who need food assistance.  

But like you pointed out, convenience is also something SNAP recipients need, not just more hoops to jump through. 

But 20 times the food I can get for the same dollar? If that's true, it's incredible.

• Like 1

I find this interesting as I tried to help set up a food bank at our local mosque. We contacted the local "big" food bank that distributes to all the smaller food banks in the area. We simply wanted to have an onsite way to distribute some staples to help out any family who came in get through the month. A rep from the big food bank distributor came and met with me and another member of the board. There were soooooooo many requirements on us: insurance, storage specifications (even for canned goods), paperwork required from the recipients, and more. AND the food was not free, there was a cost per pound to us. We had to have the staff/truck to go pick up at the assigned time and if we wanted bread/produce there was a "waiting list" and only certain days/times it was available. Sounded cheap, but added up quick. In the end we were not able to open it as even if we procured the food ourselves or gave out only donated food, the health department had it's own set of requirements that we just did not have the room to do at the time in the building.

I wonder if those "no questions" asked banks just dispense food they collect themselves?

• Like 1

I voted yes, with questions asked. I would hope that by answering some basic questions, it might be found whether assistance beyond the food bank could be provided through appropriate referrals (health department, meals on wheels, other programs for which someone in need might qualify). In *my* ideal food bank, the questions wouldn't be so much be about whether or not one "deserves" food assistance, but used as a tool to get directions to further help if necessary and available.

• Like 2

Tuna and beans are good if you are limited to canned items. Canned chicken, too. Mayo to make it into a salad. I don't usually donate prepared items, pasta, or mixes anymore - they have a lot of that already. YMMV.

It's always best to ask at your local food bank, because their needs and storage options are different. Ask what sizes they prefer, too. And - nothing expired, or the weird cleaning out the pantry items.

Ours has a large fridge area, so donating produce and actual meats and cheeses are possible. She loved when they got coffee in, like I said, because rarely is there something like that for adults. Toiletries are nice.

DS has a plan right now to donate allergy safe items and sunbutter. This is something of a challenge as we are not there to make sure the volunteers know it's for allergy peeps. I'm not positive how to work it, honestly. MIL is long retired, so she's out of the loop, unfortunately.

I wouldn't have thought of mayo, but that makes sense. I'll consider mayo, maybe even ketchup & mustard, along with coffee and tea in the future. Thanks for the ideas.

• Like 3

Yes, with no questions asked wherever possible.  Many times people need assistance getting enough food, whether for the short-term or the long-term.  Asking for such help can be very humiliating for someone in need, so tying in such assistance to having to bare one's soul about their situation could drive away the very people the food bank is intended to help.  I have made and will continue to make donations of both food and money to certain local food banks specifically because I am confident they give the food out no questions asked.

• Like 8

I've known people who have run into hard times and desperately needed help to get back on their feet. a lost job, unexpected illness, .. The ones I know have since given way more back to their community than the food they took. That might not be the case for everyone, but it's not for me to judge. Food is a basic need.

• Like 3

On the subject of increasing buying power - SNAP isn't just more convenient for families, it's better for the economy than doling out "government cheese". Every dollar we spend in SNAP sends close to two dollars into the local economy. The stores make more money, so they hire more people. The people they hire spend more money, causing those stores to hire more people, and all these people pay taxes, and everybody just gets richer and richer, because money trickles up. When we give money to the poor, we don't just help them - we grow our entire economy, because it turns out that the poor are both the workers and, in a very real sense, the job makers.

When we just give people food, they get fed, but the economy doesn't get better.

(This is also true during natural disasters. Sure, it's heartrending and you want to send the newly homeless shoes  - but if you sent cash, then that cash could be used to buy shoes (or whatever) closer to the disaster area. Natural disasters that inspire people to send goods tend to happen in areas that are already impoverished, because wealthier areas can afford a healthier infrastructure. Sending goods just makes the people there even more poor.)

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 9

One thing I'd like to see more of is a program like one in a few places in my state (private or non-profit, I believe?) where local produce and other healthy food options are set up in a farmer's market type scenario at BUS STATIONS and other urban areas (or "food deserts" or whatever the term is) and they accept SNAP.  I LOVE THIS.  I donated to it this past year even though it's not in my area because it fills a huge need for convenience, health, and acceptance of SNAP benefits all in one place!!  They do limited area delivery, too.

Edited by 6packofun
  • Like 5

I have donated and have volunteered in them. I feel that they are necessary. I have seen positive changes over the last couple of years. They are getting and distributing more fresh food. I have sorted tomatoes and organges to make sure only safe, presentably food was being distributed. I personally would have eaten some of the food we had to pitch but those were the rules to ensure safety and quality. At one place, we get a list detailing the items that are needed so they are not just receiving random things. They are a good safety net that will probably always be needed. Fortunately I have never had the need, but I am glad it is a service that is available.

I don't know much about food banks in general but I have an overall positive view of them. We donate occasionally when the scouts do a drive.

Every LDS congregation has access to a "Bishop's storehouse" where people can get food items when needed. The bishop is responsible for helping those that need it get access to it. (Usually by submitting an order for food) Most (all?) items are stocked with money donated through "fast offerings" from the members so there is a regular selection of quality food, much of it packed by the church. Interestingly though, the church asks that those that take food also contribute in some way, for example, by stocking shelves for a couple hours. I think that would discourage scammers or those who didn't really need it.

Thats only in the US though. In Australia if you need food the Bishop gives you are gift card to the local supermarket. Thank goodness they have done away with the RS president coming shopping with you to make sure you spent it wisely 🙄 The ultimate in degrading.

We have decent enough food banks in our State. The local farmers and supermarkets and bakeries are allowed to donate leftovers so long as it is not out of date. As produce is perishable people are allowed to take as much as they like. Not sure about meat but I imagine that would be rationed as with the prices these days even people with jobs can barely afford to buy it 🙄 They do have junk food like Tim Tams but those are rationed ...their philosophy is that even poor people deserve a treat which I support. But yeah..the healthy food is basically take as much as you want/need and junk food is rationed. There is plenty of fruit/vegies available though variety varies.

Its embarrassing to go to those places..most people wouldnt use them unless they needed to..scammers usually do other things then rip off food banks.

Edited by sewingmama

Locally we have a big central food bank (cfb) that gets donations from many sources and puts the food into a database.  Then local 'food pantry' kinds of places order from the database what they can give out, and go pick it up once or twice a week and then bag it up and give it away.

I serve on the board of the one of the food pantry places.  The CFB requires us to report how many people we give food to.  They also want us to primarily serve specific zip codes, of which we have 5.  (They would give us more if we had enough volunteers to serve more.  They really like us!)  So we register people when they first come to us, and we ask them to demonstrate where they live, and give them a card that enables them to come in for food either weekly.  We don't required them to 'prove need'.  If someone comes that is not from one of those zip codes, we give them a list of other outlets that serve the other local zip codes, but we also give them food.  We never say no to someone who asks for food.  The thought of doing that makes me just want to cry.  It's SO HARD to ask for food.  And it shouldn't be something that people need like this. 

Most of these clients are people who are barely holding onto very marginal living spaces, and really can't buy food to any appreciable degree.

The stuff we get from the CFB is sometimes really 'off'.  Big boxes of cereal knock offs, bags of no name white rice, stuff like that.  But some of it is really good!  We are so blessed to have a big walk in fridge, so we can take bags of shredded cheese or bricks of cheese.  That is a fantastic thing for our clients!    And we have a chest freezer so we can accept frozen meats.  We often get big packages of frozen chicken pieces, or ground beef, ground turkey, or sometimes sausages.  And our fridge enables us to get fragile fresh veggies--not just onions and potatoes, but also cabbages, and Portobello mushrooms and fennel and radishes and carrots--great stuff! 

I'm embarrassed to admit that it didn't occur to me for some years that this stuff is pretty boring without herbs and spices.  Last year I applied for a little grant from my company and bought those from Trader Joe's, who was kind enough to kick in some more for free for us, and others shopped their cupboards for us as well.  We ended up getting 3-4 containers per family, and they were really pleased to get these.  I tried Penzey's for their free pepper, but they have a complex and oversubscribed application process so I gave up on that.  So if you're ever thinking of clearing your cabinets of that kind of thing, please consider donating it.

For our homeless clients, we can't record zip codes, but we do still register them.  We make up homeless bags that are different from the housed bags, and they can come whenever we are open, not necessarily just once a week.  Those bags have things like single serve chili cans, maybe a banana or apple or citrus, single serve bags of chips or fruit cups if we can get them (not frequently available).  They are much smaller bags, more like a lunch than a bunch of food to cook.

I wish that we had more disposable diapers or wipes or feminine hygiene products to give away.  Those keep forever and they are pricey in stores. 

Also, laundry detergent is really helpful, although we have to get the smaller containers because typically clients don't have enough room for a giant economy size one.

We also have a clothes closet.

I wish we could do more, but we do the best we can.  Hundreds of people depend on this, and we only have one half time paid employee--everyone else volunteers.  It's pretty cool.

• Like 10

One thing I'd like to see more of is a program like one in a few places in my state (private or non-profit, I believe?) where local produce and other healthy food options are set up in a farmer's market type scenario at BUS STATIONS and other urban areas (or "food deserts" or whatever the term is) and they accept SNAP.  I LOVE THIS.  I donated to it this past year even though it's not in my area because it fills a huge need for convenience, health, and acceptance of SNAP benefits all in one place!!  They do limited area delivery, too.

They have farmer's markets here that accept SNAP.  In fact, they actually double the SNAP dollars up to a point.  So if someone says they want to use $10 in SNAP dollars, they actually get to buy $20 worth of food.  WIC here also gives, in addition to monthly produce checks for the grocery store, coupons to use at local farmer's markets.  I think those are pretty good deals because they help the people who need food AND the local farmers.

• Like 2

Absolutely needed, no questions.

I've only been to two food banks. The first (in Bloomington IN) one we went every week when DH was under-employed (about 3 months) and it was a great experience for everyone involved.  The people who volunteered were amazing and very giving/happy to help.  The place was set up like a grocery store.  You signed in grabbed a plastic grocery bag for every person with you, including children and filled it up with various items off the shelves and out of the coolers/freezers.  Most of the items were organic or fresh produce (the main suppliers were Panera breads, and a Whole foods like place).  There were limits on how many of something you could have so that you didn't fill you bag up with all the yogurts but for the most part the limits were more than enough.  Many of the people (including me) ended up volunteering to help out.  It really was a great place.

ETA- Farmers could drop off produce at this place and they often did.  I was in there when an older guy in coveralls came in to ask about donating produce.  When they said yes he and, I assumed, his grandson brought in a bunch of 5 gallon buckets full of potatoes and beans.  They just had more than they knew what to do with.

The second place... DH got laid off we had no $$ and no idea of what to do next.  We were desperate. They made us prove we had no $$ asked a lot of invasive questions and the food was canned or boxed but like a PP said beggers can't be choosers.  Luckily DH's unemployment kicked in and we got SNAP until we could figure out something else (we had to move 500 miles away).  The snotty attitude of the church volunteers was almost more than I could handle but I had kids and it is absolutely amazing what you will put up with to feed you children.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
  • Like 6

They are definitely needed and should be available. From what clients told me in the past, it can vary quite a bit what info/documentation is needed but those who are in true need of assistance don't seem to mind to provide proof of need. In this county and the neighboring county, Catholic churches sees to support or even run food pantries and are perhaps free to offer assistance without asking for proof.

It pains me to think how much food gets thrown out at restaurants - how many half-eaten plates go back but in some areas, how much fruit rots under our trees while restrictions are so strict that even some untouched food (if not wrapped, i.e., fruit and vegetables) cannot be donated.

Most of these clients are people who are barely holding onto very marginal living spaces, and really can't buy food to any appreciable degree.

The stuff we get from the CFB is sometimes really 'off'.  Big boxes of cereal knock offs, bags of no name white rice, stuff like that.  But some of it is really good!  We are so blessed to have a big walk in fridge, so we can take bags of shredded cheese or bricks of cheese.  That is a fantastic thing for our clients!    And we have a chest freezer so we can accept frozen meats.  We often get big packages of frozen chicken pieces, or ground beef, ground turkey, or sometimes sausages.  And our fridge enables us to get fragile fresh veggies--not just onions and potatoes, but also cabbages, and Portobello mushrooms and fennel and radishes and carrots--great stuff! 

I'm embarrassed to admit that it didn't occur to me for some years that this stuff is pretty boring without herbs and spices.  Last year I applied for a little grant from my company and bought those from Trader Joe's, who was kind enough to kick in some more for free for us, and others shopped their cupboards for us as well.  We ended up getting 3-4 containers per family, and they were really pleased to get these.  I tried Penzey's for their free pepper, but they have a complex and oversubscribed application process so I gave up on that.  So if you're ever thinking of clearing your cabinets of that kind of thing, please consider donating it.

Carol, since we are in the same state, I am surprised you have no trouble getting the local food pantry to accept things "from your cupboard." I was once told that only originally wrapped items were accepted. I have fruit falling and rotting because we cannot possibly eat it all and would not mind giving it away but it's not originally wrapped.

Edited by Liz CA

I'm not disputing that with partnerships the food banks can buy food cheaper than I can. Much cheaper! I was responding to the assertion that wholesale prices are half the shelf price.  That's all. 

One of my relatives manages a grocery store. Their profit margin is very slim. They make 1-2% on most items.

• Like 1

Yes, some people are going to take advantage of food banks. However, I think it's better to err on the side of kindness and generosity. I don't like to think of people being grilled about their circumstances. :( I think a simple limit of X-number of bags or items a week per family is enough. 

• Like 9

One thing I'd like to see more of is a program like one in a few places in my state (private or non-profit, I believe?) where local produce and other healthy food options are set up in a farmer's market type scenario at BUS STATIONS and other urban areas (or "food deserts" or whatever the term is) and they accept SNAP. I LOVE THIS. I donated to it this past year even though it's not in my area because it fills a huge need for convenience, health, and acceptance of SNAP benefits all in one place!! They do limited area delivery, too.

Wish I could remember where it was so I could share a link, but recently I saw a feature about what reminded me of the old fashioned bookmobile. Except it was a grocerymobile, with fresh produce and lots of quality food. Very reasonable pricing. It's mission was to serve the food desert areas by making wholesome food more available. I love that idea.

• Like 6

Aren't food banks all privately run? I assumed they were not government run. In which case, I think it's entirely up the food bank to decide who can get food and what the limits are. I don't get a say in that. But it's up to those that donate to make sure they are giving to organizations who make the best use of their resources.

Food banks are privately run but many of the larger ones receive publically funded government commodities. These used to be the infamous "government cheese" and other items all packaged by the USDA. Now such commodities are usually generically branded canned items, rice and a limited amount of frozen meats- usually sliced ham or chicken leg quarters. These commodities have always represented a fraction of the food most local food banks distribute. During the summer many food banks receive extra food which is specifically for households with school age children and is only distributed to such households. Some of this is funded by the federal government and some states. The food is mostly fresh fruit, cereal, bread and other kid friendly breakfast and lunch items.

I grew up pretty much always needing to go to the food bank. As we didn't always have a home, it's not hard to see why we went to the food bank even while my mom ran a feeding program at our church. As an adult I have at various times been a volunteer, donor, board member, employee and (briefly) a client of food banks.

Right now, we volunteer to repackage food at the non-profit which distributes food to most local food banks. It's mostly scooping frozen veggies from gigantic bins (as tall and as wide as your average 9 year old) into 2 pound bags. Some of this food is purchased with donations and some is corporate donations from food suppliers and some is publically funded. In the past we have done a regular route of picking up day old foods from local bakeries and coffee shop and other tasks.

My belief is that in the absence of a much more expansive social safety net, food banks are the difference been starving and not starving for some people. That's a matter of public health and safety.

I also think that food banks should make progress towards more customizable and less dehumanizing distribution methods. Waiting in line for hours for random and spoiled food is not fun. That's what I remember about going as child. Happily some of the food banks I see around here aim to do better than that. The model I recommend is one that schedules people out so no one has to wait in line for more than a few minutes. The clients sign in and are given a card based on their household size and composition that says how many of each sort of food they can get and a container they fill with fresh produce. The types being canned veggies, canned fruit, soup, grains (cereal and rice), meat, dairy, bread/bakery and misc (this is where most of the random shelf stable donations go- things like cake mixes, coffee, snack bars, biscuit mix) and sometimes eggs. There's also non-food (toiletries, random household supplies, baby items like diapers and formula) on the card. The client then gets a shopping cart and goes around the warehouse and selects the food they want. If they don't want grains, they can leave them. The fresh produce is from grocery store and community gardens. If they don't like the looks of something they can take other produce instead. If they like tomatoes and green beans but not turnips, they can just load up their produce bin with tomatoes and green beans. While much of the produce is stuff that is unsellable at grocery stores (bruised, needs to be eaten soon etc), volunteers make a point to remove items that are rotten.

When finished selecting all of their items, clients check out with a volunteer who helps bag up the items and ensure that people have more or less taken what is on their card. This check is so hoarders don't take all of something or people without children don't take the baby stuff and judgy or snitty volunteers get fired. There's usually stuff that is "unlimited" after you check out which is a huge amount of squash or such. There are recipe flyers for people looking for ideas on how to use something. There's a bookshelf with free books and magazines. There's a rack with clothing people can look through and take. Volunteers don't handle everyone's food or just shove random items at clients.

The only improvements I would make if I were running that food bank would be to offer people the option to "pay what they can". No one should be required to pay but many people would like to give something, even a dollar or three for their cart. That money would then be funneled back to buy more food. I read about food banks who do that and they tend to be popular with the clients because there is more and higher quality food available.

As a volunteer etc, I have quit having anything to do with the model of food banks where clients aren't trusted to accept or decline items or even touch the cans themselves.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 9

Aren't food banks all privately run? I assumed they were not government run. In which case, I think it's entirely up the food bank to decide who can get food and what the limits are. I don't get a say in that. But it's up to those that donate to make sure they are giving to organizations who make the best use of their resources.

In my area there are church-affiliated food banks and there is the big county one that administers government programs. USDA was one of the programs. There was another for families who had a child 5 or younger to get an extra box of protein-rich food. It wasn't WIC but some other program.

I think that private banks' rules should be up to the sponsors and I am fine with my church's "no questions asked" policy.

Taxpayer-funded programs should require documentation of need and able-bodied adults should be required to work, actively seek work, attend school/vocational training, or do community service in order to qualify.

• Like 1

I am skeptical of food banks in good neighborhoods because of that. 

With the instability in the job market (especially during the Great Recession), it's not that uncommon for a family to go from making good money and financially supporting the food bank to needing to use the food bank during a bout of unemployment and then back to supporting it. Financial crises don't just happen in low-income neighborhoods.

Unemployment Insurance doesn't even remotely begin to cover lost wages for many people who receive it. It's what- $400 per week?

• Like 6

The vast majority of people who use food banks are NOT able bodied adults who not working by choice. Most able bodied adult clients are working, sometimes even more than FT. The cost of verifying that everyone is a either a child, a senior, disabled or presently employed or actively seeking work isn't zero. I oppose taking food out of people's mouths for political popularity. I also oppose requiring people to do community service because not only is arranging that not free, it assumes that people aren't looking for work or aren't adults already contributing to their community in meaningful ways. I support documenting household size, address (if relevant) and asking for basic demographic information and even a max income if necessary to reach those most in need. I also think it should be limited to a once a year quick in and out screening. That's what the food bank I described does and it's way better than the ones that waste money and time on being intrusive and condescending collecting documentation very frequently.

That people need food banks at all in one of the richest countries in the world is a failure of our nation. We can and should do better but in the mean time we best not get pissy because with indivoduals who can't afford enough food.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 8

I have fruit falling and rotting because we cannot possibly eat it all and would not mind giving it away but it's not originally wrapped.

Our church garden specifically grows food for a food bank, another church that does soup dinners for the homeless, and a community housing program for homeless/almost homeless families. They love getting the fresh produce--no problems with that here in Oregon. We're not the only ones doing that either--many community gardens, small farms, and home gardeners donate.

• Like 3

Carol, since we are in the same state, I am surprised you have no trouble getting the local food pantry to accept things "from your cupboard." I was once told that only originally wrapped items were accepted. I have fruit falling and rotting because we cannot possibly eat it all and would not mind giving it away but it's not originally wrapped.

There are opportunities to give garden produce and homegrown fruit here but many traditional, small food banks are just not set up to safely store everything for when they are open.

Another way to share fresh fruit is to call a senior center or a soup kitchen and see if they can use it or would like to set it out for their clients to decide if they want to take it or not. Or see if there is a Food Not Bombs group near you. They will take it. They might even come to you to get it.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

Our community was not that "poor" to begin with, so there was not the need that some places have, for sure, so that was probably part of it. In a needier neighborhood it might be different, with more cooperation. I am skeptical of food banks in good neighborhoods because of that.

There are very poor people living almost everywhere. I can list off more than a dozen very posh areas in my county that have large but often all but invisible pockets of poverty. There are also people living in very nice areas who may experience a sudden change of circumstances.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 3

The vast majority of people who use food banks are NOT able bodied adults who not working by choice. Most able bodied adult clients are working, sometimes even more than FT. 

95 million Americans of prime working age are not in the labor force. Some are students, SAHP's or other caretakers, early retirees, or disabled. But there are a LOT who are capable of working but are neither doing so nor actively seeking employment, doing job training, etc. Those are the people whom taxpayers should not be giving a handout to IMHO unless they start doing something productive with their lives.

• Like 1

95 million Americans of prime working age are not in the labor force. Some are students, SAHP's or other caretakers, early retirees, or disabled. But there are a LOT who are capable of working but are neither doing so nor actively seeking employment, doing job training, etc. Those are the people whom taxpayers should not be giving a handout to IMHO unless they start doing something productive with their lives.

At least in my state, the majority of those you are referring to fall into one of the categories you list (SAHP, retired, disable, student, etc.). Our state economist has studied the issue pretty extensively. Do you know how many in the US don't fall into one of the categories? I'm also curious about what kind of taxpayer handouts you think they are getting that they don't deserve?
  • Like 4