Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
momchiroto2

Having a hard time with Hake Grammar 5

DS (10) is having a hard time with Hake, and I am getting a lot of resistance from him when it comes to working on the lessons. He does a lesson daily but the last few lessons have been a challenge for him.  He loves to read and is a voracious reader. He outlines and writes a paragraph daily from his science or history readings.

I would love suggestions as to how to approach grammar for this level.    Thank you! 

Hake is more than just grammar, though, yes? Maybe you should consider something that is *only* grammar, such as Analytical Grammar or Easy Grammar.

Hake is more than just grammar, though, yes? Maybe you should consider something that is *only* grammar, such as Analytical Grammar or Easy Grammar.

It does have a writing component as well, but we are only working our way through the grammar text.  Thanks!

Is it because of how long it takes to complete it?  Maybe you could sit with him and let him do as much orally as possible and then let him write in the workbook for answers that need to be written (like diagramming, etc.)  Or just do the odds for the review section if you feel that would be enough review for him.  

ETA:  another thought would be to take two days to do each lesson and finish the book this summer or next fall.  There's a lot of repetition in the levels of Hake and you could easily finish 5 and then start 7, kwim?  If you wanted to stick with Hake, that is.  

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 1

Work through it together in some way. Does he have problems reading the lesson? Read that together. Overwhelmed by the number of practice/review problems? Work through that together after he reads the lesson. If it seems like he's getting the concept and there are too many practice or review problems? Assign fewer problems or skip the oneMs you think he's comfortably mastered.

You could also do all of the above after taking a couple of weeks off grammar altogether.

Thank you everyone.  I don't think it is the number of problems, he has hit a wall with diagramming the sentences.  That is the part that frustrates him the most.  I have been going over the lesson with him and then he works independently on the questions.  

Diagram together and/or just do the evens or odds. DD did Hake last year so I know it ramps up pretty quickly.