Menu

European history for tenth grade?

I wanted to have everyone do American history next year, but DD is asking for more European history. She's doing medieval this year and wants to continue the European part. Where can I find more modern European history info? And I'm thinking European/British lit too.

ETA: She loves the Daileader Middle Ages Great Courses lectures (and would happily listen to those instead of reading, but I have her do both). Any suggestions for similar GC for European would be great.

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 1

If your dd will finish with the medieval period, then she is in a good place to pick up with one of the AP European History textbooks.  They cover basically the same information with slight variations.  The Great Courses series, Foundations of Western Civilization II with Robert Bucholz is excellent, in my opinion. His lectures follow in roughly the same order as the AP Euro texts (which are college survey texts).

If your dd is at all interested in art, it's a terrific time to start How to Look at and Understand Great Art. We actually skipped the first 21 lectures that discuss elements of art and went straight into Lecture 22, which is the beginning of examining European art chronologically. When students can see the art of the time they are studying and comprehend just how politics, science, and patronage among other things can influence the artist, it helps them see general themes and connections. Take a field trip to the nearest city art museum and I can guarantee your dd will be able to identify many of the periods of the art she is looking at without looking at the exhibit's info card. Strickland's The Annotated Mona Lisa works well as a simple text to read before the lectures.  If you are interested, I can tell you what we did to finish out a Fine Arts credit. ( I thought my son should go out into the world with some basic art and music literacy.)

If you are interested in using primary sources (imho, needed), Dennis Sherman's two volumes for Western Civilization: Sources, Images, and Interpretations is very easy to use and doesn't take a lot of time.  If you are not doing AP, pick an edition for any of the texts that fits your budget. This is the edition I have, but it was about $8 when I purchased it a couple of years ago. Sometimes, newer volumes can be less expensive for whatever reason.

If you need preplanned for literature, then Brit Lit may be the way to go, but if you are comfortable picking your own literature, then I would definitely broaden the focus and think of books that pertain to specific periods and that move across countries.

Have fun!

• Like 4

That looks interesting -- thanks!

Are you interested in one with an online component or at home? 

Good question.  I had thought at home, but I'm not necessarily opposed to online.  Hmmm, I will have to think about that.

My daughter had the AP Euro History at her public school and they used A History of Western Society (since 1300) by McKay/Hill/Buckler.

I looked at this on Amazon and like the looks of it.  It would probably be either this one or Spielvogel.

Center for Lit has a British Lit class if you're interested in online class: http://www.centerforlit.com/bd167

I believe BJU has a course as well. 

That looks good too -- thank you!

If your dd will finish with the medieval period, then she is in a good place to pick up with one of the AP European History textbooks.  They cover basically the same information with slight variations.  The Great Courses series, Foundations of Western Civilization II with Robert Bucholz is excellent, in my opinion. His lectures follow in roughly the same order as the AP Euro texts (which are college survey texts).

If your dd is at all interested in art, it's a terrific time to start How to Look at and Understand Great Art. We actually skipped the first 21 lectures that discuss elements of art and went straight into Lecture 22, which is the beginning of examining European art chronologically. When students can see the art of the time they are studying and comprehend just how politics, science, and patronage among other things can influence the artist, it helps them see general themes and connections. Take a field trip to the nearest city art museum and I can guarantee your dd will be able to identify many of the periods of the art she is looking at without looking at the exhibit's info card. Strickland's The Annotated Mona Lisa works well as a simple text to read before the lectures.  If you are interested, I can tell you what we did to finish out a Fine Arts credit. ( I thought my son should go out into the world with some basic art and music literacy.)

If you are interested in using primary sources (imho, needed), Dennis Sherman's two volumes for Western Civilization: Sources, Images, and Interpretations is very easy to use and doesn't take a lot of time.  If you are not doing AP, pick an edition for any of the texts that fits your budget. This is the edition I have, but it was about $8 when I purchased it a couple of years ago. Sometimes, newer volumes can be less expensive for whatever reason.

If you need preplanned for literature, then Brit Lit may be the way to go, but if you are comfortable picking your own literature, then I would definitely broaden the focus and think of books that pertain to specific periods and that move across countries.

Have fun!

Thank you!  That's the GC I was looking at.  One of our libraries has it, so we can try it out and see if she likes it.

I don't know that she'll want to take the AP exam, but I like the idea of using one of their texts.  Will check out the Sherman book as well.

Art -- I will look at those resources.  She knows a fair amount about basic art at this point, but she'll probably like learning a little more with each time period, and she'd probably like the lectures.  Good idea!

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 1