Menu

Question about coloring gray hair but keeping it gray...

VaKim

Pretty sure that probably doesn't make a lot of sense. I color my hair regularly, as much for the greatly improved texture as to cover the gray. My mom's hair is sort of a yellowish silver and she has absolutely no desire to actually change the color much at all, but would like to get that same texture improvement that I get when I color mine. Any recommendations for products that would do that for her? I have searched and searched and can only find a purple-gray looking dye, which she doesn't like. Didn't they used to make a clear "dye?"

There are clear shine treatments. 

Clairol Shine Happy (note it says not recommended for gray hair, though)

John Frieda Liquid Shine Clear Hair Glaze

I'm not sure whether or not either of them would react the same as color. I have used Shine Happy in the past and liked what it did, but I used it to tide me over a bit between colorings.

Edited by Pawz4me

I also use a purple shampoo, called So Silver by Matrix. It washes out the yellow undertone of grey hair, and it improves the texture. I only use it once or twice a week though.

I just had flashbacks of bathing my miniature horse in purple shampoo to make his white coat sparkle. It seemed illogical to me and the first time I bathed him I had a sort of panic attack. "What if my horse turned purple?" His coat always sparkled after a bath, though.

I know that doesn't help at. all. but .... :D

Same concept! 

It does have a brightening effect and cool down some brassiness in the hair. 

THis is a color "diluter" used to make bright colors less intense... it could be what you're looking for. But I suspect the texture change is due to the developer, this one doesn't use a developer.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/clear-shade-diluter/SBS-305086,default,pd.html

And FYI the purple shampoos work accordinto basic color theory... no "magic" washing away of yellow. Purple and yellow are opposites on the color wheel, so they "cancel" each other out. Brassy or orangey tones would use a truer blue shampoo to neutralize the orange tone. Works the same way that green coverup makeup conceals redness, and yellow coverup hides purple under eye circles.

Edited by Rebel Yell

A hair dresser should also be able to do a color gloss to tone the hair slightly and remove any unwanted tones or adjust the color slightly. They also improve shine in my experience.