Menu

Helping with mild sensory issues

LynnS

My son (7) has always had some vague sensory issues. His preschool teachers noted this when he was 3, but weren't able to give sufficient specifics about his behavior that we could act on, just a told us they had a "general feeling" that he might have sensory things going on and gave us some handouts about SPD. He never met more than a few of the descriptions here and there on the various SPD checklists, and still does not. 

Other adults at camps and programs he's attended have noted various quirks, but nothing has ever been serious or definite enough to warrant an OT eval, and our pediatrician does not think he needs OT, based on our descriptions and his observations. Today at a drop-off activity, one of the teachers told us that my son was standing in front of the playground swings, asking the other kids to kick him. He will often seek out big physical inputs like this; he frequently begs to be tickled, he likes to wrestle (and be on the losing end), he asks friends to "smoosh" him, he'll do things like fling himself to the ground, into sturdy objects, etc. If he's doing something that we or other adults are afraid will cause him injury, he will stop the behavior. 

I'm hoping to find some activities that will help him satisfy these sensory needs in a safe way. Does anyone who has experience with this kind of sensory-seeking behavior have any suggestions for how we can help him? I'm still wondering if an OT eval would be helpful or not.

Since it's a neurological process that causes the sensory problems, it's absurd to say well it's mild don't treat. That's like saying you're bleeding but not gushing so don't bother with a bandaid. And these people clearly don't get sensory. If it's showing up like that, it's a BIG issue. He's just so smart and socially observant that he has found ways to HIDE his symptoms or to seek out sensory in socially acceptable ways. My ds doesn't have that filter, so my ds does his sensory seeking in socially inappropriate ways. Your ds is feeling similar things, but he's just using his social skills to try to hide it.

So yes, take the stress off him, get an OT or PT who's really good with sensory. Retained reflexes are the most foundational thing to work on, and I finally have a PT who is AMAZING with retained reflexes. So widen your circle and make sure, absolutely sure, the person is testing for them. But yes, PT, OT, someone who is good with sensory. 

Some of them will just give you a sensory diet. You want more than that. You want someone who will check for retained primitive/neonatal reflexes and help you get things back on track.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

PS. Go sign that kid up for gymnastics! Swimming would be good too, but it's gonna BLOW YOUR MIND how good gymnastics will feel to him. My ds does team gymnastics and swim team. I try to make sure he's in one or the other every day. Go for the gymnastics and get him in all you can. :)

• Like 1

PS. Go sign that kid up for gymnastics! Swimming would be good too, but it's gonna BLOW YOUR MIND how good gymnastics will feel to him. My ds does team gymnastics and swim team. I try to make sure he's in one or the other every day. Go for the gymnastics and get him in all you can. :)

Thanks! I think we really need a kick in the butt about this, because the behaviors individually never seem like quiiiiite enough to get an eval. He does love to swim, but that's harder to arrange in the winter; gymnastics sounds like an excellent idea! We have at least one gymnastics facility that does homeschool gym during the day.