Menu

US HIstory at WTMA--thoughts/reviews

I was planning on teaching US History myself for 10th next year, and still might, but would like to hear feedback on this class at WTM Academy. It mentions it's for 11-12th graders; would a 10th grader be able to take it? He's a slow reader which is my main concern. How demanding is the class, what's the teacher like etc? We haven't taken any classes at WTM Academy yet.

Thanks!!!

Bumping - can't wait to hear more. We plan to take it next year too. I've only seen 1 here on WTM boards with a child in it (who was uber-helpful in her review)... but hopefully your post will ferret out more users. :-) 

*Oh & FWIW - we love our WTMA Bio class this year and would gladly take any course WTMA offers. Great experience!

Edited by mirabillis
  • Like 2

My boys took WTMA US Hist last year in 10th grade. I really appreciated the class & the instructor. She clearly loves history. They did a good amount of work with primary sources. IIRC, they read a chapter a week, usually wrote up & submitted a summary of it (kind of reminded me of CMason narration), did one big research paper/semester, and took a midterm & final. 

It seemed to me that the teacher spot checked the summaries. Sometimes there would be feedback, most of the time not. They got very good feedback on the first paper, & I think there were steps along the way (a preliminary outline for the paper, maybe?) on which they also got feedback.  I'm not sure what happened, but I don't think they ever got feedback on the second paper, other than a grade shown on the final report.  I thought it was just me, but a local irl friend's son took the advanced US hist course and said he didn't get his second paper back, either. Maybe we just missed it.

I think it's a class that is what you make of it. If you are really into US history, you could really dig into it. If, like my boys, you aren't so much into US history, you can put less time & effort into it and still get something out of it.  I'll probably have my daughter take the course, unless she decides she wants to take US Hist at a local brick-and-mortar hybrid.

• Like 2

Yes, my boys did have Ms. Brian, and they did think she was a good teacher and liked the classes.  They just weren't as interested in US History as in other subjects.

My boys did not take the US Hist SAT2 exam, so I can't say one way or another whether the class would have been sufficient prep or not. Sorry! 

If anyone else has a student who took the US Hist SAT2 after the WTMA class, I'd be interested in how that went, too, so I know whether to have my daughter take it.

Edited by yvonne

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this back up...

I've been in contact with WTMA and they say that their regular US Hist course is aligned with the material for SAT II Subject. So that is our plan to fulfill US Hist a-g requirement. Of course some extra SAT II specific test prep in May at the end of class will be necessary, but I am hopeful this will be a solid core course.

Did you take regular or advanced? I understand regular meets 1x a week - advanced/AP prep 2x a week. We're looking at regular - is that what you did, yvonne? Was that enough of a live lecture? My ds really gets a lot out of his 2x weekly live lectures... wondering if 1x weekly is enough?

Your thoughts?