Menu

The Ski Lodge (aka Teachers Lounge) 1-18-2017

scrapbookbuzz

Happy Wednesday!

I'm a little bleary eyed at the moment as I just woke up a few minutes ago.

Sounds like the Keurig is done making my coffee so I'll be more coherent in a few minutes.

Do you have regularly scheduled activities on Wednesday? Here: when we first started homeschooling,

back when dd was 6 (she's now 18) we belonged to a homeschool group that had their park days on Wednesdays.

Now the only regularly scheduled thing is youth group which my son attends and daughter no longer does. As high school got more intense academically, she found she just didn't have the energy for youth group too. If it were easier for her to make friends, it might not have been so hard.

Who's making breakfast? Here: I may make gf muffins later but I'm just too tired right now. And I'm not hungry.

Who here is trying to figure out how to make their life seem less rushed? :auto:

Here: ME! In a discussion with my ds12 yesterday, I said I'd been praying for a simpler life but it seems to be more hectic. He said, "Well, it may be simpler. But simpler doesn't mean less hectic."  :001_huh: Touche. I then said, "Maybe I need to be more specific in my prayers."  :rolleyes: :cool:

Talk to me! :bigear:  

• Like 1

Morning, Scrap!

We have library hour and music lessons today.  We'd skip library, but honestly it's easier to appease the 3yo with stories and new books before heading across the street for a half hour wait for the 6yo to do his thing.  It means a lot longer out of the house but all our things get done in the morning!

I made breakfast today.  I make it every day, at least for the 6yo.  He has self imposed dietary restrictions (read, if it's less than 2 minutes prep it's not edible in his eyes).  Today was oatmeal, greek yogurt w/honey, and a banana.  I'm pretty sure there'd be a cartoon character telling me it's a balanced breakfast except the generic oatmeal doesn't have a spokesperson.

I wish I could make life seem less rushed.  I just gave my notice as a babysitter, but that is because I'll be spending the last of my time here painting and prepping the house, getting movers in, and taking care of graduation stuff with the oldest.  I just have no time to continue taking things on.

• Like 1

Sounds like you have a decent Wednesday morning planned. 

We haven't been to the library in ages. Partly because no matter what I always

seem to rack up fines and truthfully, I have a pretty decent library at home!

When the kids were little we went there quite a bit, for events and such.

If you have any more bananas, I might take one of those! Although, I don't really need to

as I just bought a bunch yesterday. Oatmeal always makes me hungry an hour later and

I just cannot get into Greek yogurt. It tastes the same as yogurt did when I was growing up

and I didn't like that either!  :p

I think in the morning I just need a magic Genie to read my mind (or maybe not) and make 

breakfast for me that's gluten-free and corn free.  :D

• Like 1

Wednesday is a busy day for us!

We pick up our raw milk on the mornings, and sometimes bagels too because on Wed a dozen is $2.00 off.

Afternoons, kids have piano lessons and I often do errands while we are in that part of town.

We have church on Wed nights too. Right up the street from piano and right after it. Choir, dinner, then Bible study. I get to visit and eat with friends, then I teach.

I made breakfast today, but sometimes kids do. Scrambled eggs with onions, peppers and cheddar, and toast.

Yes! I would love to be less busy. We have seasons that feel rushed to me and others that are much less so. Summer is nice. Now is busy, but almost all routine and scheduled, so it doesn't make me crazy. Lots of last minute events or things too close together in time stress me out.

• Like 2

Good morning!

Do you have regularly scheduled activities on Wednesday?

I teach a math class for residents in a local women's addiction treatment center. A few hope to pass the GED test before they graduate or soon afterwards. We have mid-week church services on Wednesdays, too. 

Who's making breakfast? I microwaved some bacon. Does that count as "making breakfast"? Ds ate a Chobani flip yogurt, too. 

Who here is trying to figure out how to make their life seem less rushed?

I probably should do that, but it's a little difficult. I keep my nephew about 6 days in a row each month, so my life slows down a lot then. The drawback is that I'm trying to squeeze a whole month of activities into the remaining 24 days. I'm also trying to keep ds busy in activities because he's the only one left home. I don't want it to be just me and him here all day long every day. 

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 1

I'm also trying to keep ds busy in activities because he's the only one left home. 

I'm the youngest and there is 6 years between my brother and I. So I'm pretty sure this is why my mom let me do SO many things while I was in jr high and high school. I'm pretty sure I tried out for everything and went to almost every football and basketball game. Mom worked full time then, too, so I think quite possibly letting me do these things kept her from feeling some guilt. Just a guess. I don't really know, for sure. I know I had fun being busy then. Just not interested in being that busy NOW. 

Honestly, for awhile, I've just wanted to live in a cabin in the mountains and only interact with people once or twice a week. And believe it or not, I am not an introvert. Go figure!  :001_rolleyes:

• Like 2

So not motivated today . ..

We may not get any schooling done today. Unless dc get motivated to do it on their own.

I just cannot wind up the energy to be the dictator today.

Plus there's a movie my dd wants to see and ds is willing to see. May take them to see it

this afternoon and I'll hang out in the lobby or the grocery store next door, in the Starbucks,

working on reviewing/previewing/planning lessons.

• Like 1

Regularly Scheduled on Wednesday: My older two have youth activities at church on Wednesdays.  I've been working with the young women, but this will be my last week.  Most Wednesdays, my little guys are also at church doing Cub Scouts.  They don't this week, though, because this is a pack meeting week.  My oldest son works 3:30-4:30 on Wednesdays.

Who Made Breakfast: My middle boy made cereal for the little two.  I heated up leftovers for myself.  The oldest boy had a fresh off their tree grapefruit someone gave him last night at taekwondo.  My oldest pretty much never eats breakfast.  My oldest son made lunch today (chicken curry).

Making Life Less Rushed: Yes, that would be awesome!  No idea how, though.

My Wednesday schedule is pretty empty. There's a TKD class I could take my kids to in the evening, but we already went on Monday and Tuesday this week, so we're not going today - I'm thinking of taking them on Friday though. Other than that, nothing scheduled out of the home.

We're way past breakfast at this point.

I'm working on improving the "getting the kids out the door" thing - I hate it when things get rushed because I told them to put on their shoes and they somehow forget 2 seconds later, etc.

ETA: I think I need to start using the Happy Light again.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

PSA: If you want a hair cut, sit still! :cursing:

Broccoli wanted a hair cut. I've cut his hair a few times before. Normally he's pretty good about it. Today, he wouldn't hold his head still for more than 2 seconds. So, his hair is about an inch shorter than I wanted it to be, AND I'm not sure what it looks like - I'll see when it's completely dry, but UGH. I've just given up for now, thinking it *may* be "good enough". I probably should've given up earlier when I knew it wasn't good enough, and just tried again later. Oh well.

ETA: worst case scenario I can drag him to a hairdresser - it's just so frustrating that a kid who'll normally sit still for a hair cut won't still when he's asked for one.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

Sounds like you have a decent Wednesday morning planned. 

We haven't been to the library in ages. Partly because no matter what I always

seem to rack up fines and truthfully, I have a pretty decent library at home!

When the kids were little we went there quite a bit, for events and such.

If you have any more bananas, I might take one of those! Although, I don't really need to

as I just bought a bunch yesterday. Oatmeal always makes me hungry an hour later and

I just cannot get into Greek yogurt. It tastes the same as yogurt did when I was growing up

and I didn't like that either!  :p

I think in the morning I just need a magic Genie to read my mind (or maybe not) and make 

breakfast for me that's gluten-free and corn free.  :D

Our library is rather nice and online. :D  Meaning, I get a notice two days before, I can log on to my account, and renew everything right there.  It is very handy!  Plus, I met a new-to-here homeschooling mom in the history section and had a good chat. :)

And I wish I could remember who on this board informed me there was whole milk greek yogurt.  It has changed our world. The stuff tastes very smooth, almost like sour cream.  It's much better than the chalky taste of some of them.  I buy the big container of it plain and we add as we like (strawberry preserves for one, honey for the other).

It's 2pm.  School went super quick today.  The children and I have come to an agreement over violin lessons and a very kind teacher.  He lets the kids pick out a small toy if they do well.  Lovely, but since I have the child who holds on to everything it just doesn't work for us.  I give them a sweet if they pass up the toy.  Today I made their day by the 'sweet' being rather larger - those cookie dunk things from Lunchables.  Which means the 3yo pleasantly ate everything on his plate to get one and the 6yo burned through his work being in such a good mood. I have nothing left to do today. :D

• Like 1

HI all - finally checking in. Was up all night with a storm. 

Wednesday Activities: Nope. I value my time and so really try to avoid activities for the most part. I do need to see about maybe getting dd into Awana, if it's not too far into the year for her to start. Either that or dropping her off for Sunday School at one of the local churches perhaps. She needs more activities and a wider circle of friends she sees regularly. 

Breakfast: I had leftovers from last night's dinner for breakfast. DD is just now eating and she's having rolls & gravy. 

How to make Life Less Rushed: Yup add me to the list. Even with trying very hard to take time for myself, life ends up rushed. The guy I'm in a LDR with works nights, so that adds an extra kink in things - I've been staying up to chat with him over kik before work & during his breaks, but then I end up either sleep deprived or stealing naps during the day which makes things worse. 

Library: Add me to the never use it list. It's not convenient to get to on the bus and I rack up fines like crazy. When / if I can get our fines cleared again, I might consider a SINGLE card for the family & adding into a bi-weekly rotation on Saturday mornings as we're already halfway to the downtown main library when I do one other activity on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays. 

Luuknam - What is the happy light? 

• Like 1

I have thought about getting one of those. Does it really work? I miss the sunshine and endless gray winter days make me out of sorts.

I think it does make some difference, yes. That said, it works better for some people than for others. But, you could always do a spin-off thread and ask what the rest of the Hive thinks.

• Like 2