Menu

Who is the Antagonist in Mr. Popper's Penguins?

Squawky Acres

I know this approach is controversial, but if one were to do a "Deconstructing Penguins" sort of analysis of Mr. Popper's Penguins, who would be the best candidate for Antagonist?  I'm thinking it is Mrs. Popper.  Mr. Popper is clearly the Protagonist -- he is a dreamer, untidy, doesn't care about money.  Mrs. Popper is his opposite, as she is pragmatic, exceedingly tidy, and is concerned with money.  I don't really see that she holds back the action of the story, though; as she helps him with the penguin act after their initial conflict over money, tidiness, and how he should spend his winter.  After that, there isn't really conflict between the two of them.

Later in the book, there is conflict with the unnamed theater manager who gets Mr. Popper arrested, but he isn't even named, and is in just a small part of the book.

Anyway, this has been bothering me, as I can't get the book to line up nicely with the analysis.

I know this approach is controversial, but if one were to do a "Deconstructing Penguins" sort of analysis of Mr. Popper's Penguins, who would be the best candidate for Antagonist?  I'm thinking it is Mrs. Popper.  Mr. Popper is clearly the Protagonist -- he is a dreamer, untidy, doesn't care about money.  Mrs. Popper is his opposite, as she is pragmatic, exceedingly tidy, and is concerned with money.  I don't really see that she holds back the action of the story, though; as she helps him with the penguin act after their initial conflict over money, tidiness, and how he should spend his winter.  After that, there isn't really conflict between the two of them.

Later in the book, there is conflict with the unnamed theater manager who gets Mr. Popper arrested, but he isn't even named, and is in just a small part of the book.

Anyway, this has been bothering me, as I can't get the book to line up nicely with the analysis.

The problem isn't with Mr. Popper's Penguins. Just an fyi. ;) The only thing keeping me from ripping Deconstructing Penguins into tiny pieces was the fact that it was a library book.

• Like 3