Menu

AAR/AAS question

MaryMak07

I have a very young Ker (turned 5 in November). We have been doing AAR, RS, HWOT and Sonlight P4/5 as gentle K year. We do read alouds in the morning and reading, handwriting and math while his sister naps. (It takes 30-45 min for those 3 subjects).

It's going GREAT. we started AAR 1 in July and finished in Dec and have started AAR 2. I read that AAR 2 is when most people start AAS1.

Do I need to do that? Am I holding him back by not?

He's a very bright kids and he does well with everything (though handwriting isn't a strength), but I don't know that o want to do anything more. I feel like at his age that's enough time.

Should I start in the fall? Then he'd be 5, turning 6, or could I wait even longer until the following fall? Thoughts?

I am not looking for a super long day for such a little kid...

My daughter is 5 too. We are on track to finish our phonics curriculum (Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading) in a few months. I plan to start AAS1 next month or so. She's reading fairly well and by the end of OPG she'll be decoding at a 4th grade level.

I don't think there's any rush since he's only in K. Maybe start it in the fall for 1st?

We dabbled with spelling in K. We did all of AAS 1- easy, but poor retention after. We dropped spelling out of context (doing copywork only), waited a few months, and introduced spelling through dictation.  It was what he was ready for as a 6-6.5yo. 

I don't think you're missing anything if you wait.  The only thing that can happen is better retention.

I'd wait too. He's already ahead of the game with some things he's learning--he's doing great! You can start any time after he finishes AAR 1, but for a young student who might not be ready for much writing yet, you can definitely wait until first grade or so. Here's a post on when to start AAS, and another one on planning language arts that you might find helpful. Have fun!

My kids read early and we didn't do reading instruction. We start AAS in grade 2. I tried it once with one of them at just-turned-6 and it was a lot of work for a lot of pushback and no retention. So I put it back on the shelf and pulled it out at almost-8. It just goes so much better...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1