Menu

R-Changed vowels

ReadingMama1214

I've mentioned before that DD5 is working through Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading. We are a couple of lessons into the R-changed vowels section. DD seems to have naturally learned r-changed vowels from our reading and from playing on her iPad. There are 20+ lessons on r-changed vowels in OPGTR. It seems 2 lessons per concept. Is this much reinforcement really necessary? Would it be possible to move through these lessons quicker? I know r-changed vowels can be tricky for some so would it make sense to give the extra review or would combining the lessons make more sense? DD reads to me nightly and is tackling words that we don't cover for another 20+ lessons. I don't want to miss any of the fundamentals of phonics, but I also don't want DD to get frustrated with reading do to boredom. Any one accelerate OPGTR at any point? I imagine we will slow back down when we get to more complex words. 

I had something similar come up with dd6. I didn't skip for a few reasons. First, the lessons incorporate a lot of review of previous concepts and I like that review. Second, we weren't in a hurry. Fluency builds over time and dd wasn't reading at full speed yet. More practice wouldn't hurt.

I did skip the teaching and single word parts though and just read the stories. Even though dd understood the lesson, she didn't mind reading for the day because at that point it was 5 minutes a lesson.

You're probably fine either way, but it wouldn't hurt to get more practice.

• Like 1

Sounds like your dd has already hit breakthrough and crossed over into being a reader. Congratulations!

At that point I drop phonics lessons and just read with mine. Pick out some books she might like--the Kingdom of Wrenly series is popular at my house for new readers--and snuggle up and read together.

Edited by maize

I had something similar come up with dd6. I didn't skip for a few reasons. First, the lessons incorporate a lot of review of previous concepts and I like that review. Second, we weren't in a hurry. Fluency builds over time and dd wasn't reading at full speed yet. More practice wouldn't hurt.

I did skip the teaching and single word parts though and just read the stories. Even though dd understood the lesson, she didn't mind reading for the day because at that point it was 5 minutes a lesson.

You're probably fine either way, but it wouldn't hurt to get more practice.

That's a really good idea. I think I'll do the lesson with single words if she seems to need it, but just reading the stories is a great idea. Thanks!

Sounds like your dd has already hit breakthrough and crossed over into being a reader. Congratulations!

At that point I drop phonics lessons and just read with mine. Pick out some books she might like--the Kingdom of Wrenly series is popular at my house for new readers--and snuggle up and read together.

She's definitely intuited the r-changed vowels and compound words and some other concepts. There still seems to be 30-40 lessons that she would really need. She can read Little Bear comfortably, but kingdom of Wrenly seems a little higher of a level. She definitely needs to build fluency on longer words and reading speed in general. She reads at a decent speed, but it's hard to gauge because she stops and chats so much. So we need to work on reading to to punctuation and such.

• Like 1

DS6 is in exactly the same situation and section of OPGTR right now! I decided to do 2 lessons per day until we reach what feels like "instructional-level" phonics again. I'll let him get the review and build his reading speed/fluency, but I'm too new to skip anything ;)

And as maize mentioned, the snuggle up and (have them) read plan has been working for us. 

Doesn't it feel fantastic?   :hurray:

DS6 is in exactly the same situation and section of OPGTR right now! I decided to do 2 lessons per day until we reach what feels like "instructional-level" phonics again. I'll let him get the review and build his reading speed/fluency, but I'm too new to skip anything ;)

And as maize mentioned, the snuggle up and (have them) read plan has been working for us.

Doesn't it feel fantastic? :hurray:

We do snuggle nightly to read and I love it. It's my favorite time. Especially now that she says "I just love reading and want to read more!"

We've decided to do two lessons a day as well. Since we're close to the finish, I made a chart for her to track how many lessons she has left. We have a mommy daughter date planned for when she finishes. So she's motivated to do two a day! I've been adjusting them too. So today I had her read the word list from one lesson and then do the entire next lesson. It seems that most of the r-changed vowel rules are covered in two lessons each. So AR had two lessons dedicated to the concept. It definitely seems like too much review for us right now.

I'm guessing we will slow back down with multisyllable words.