Menu

tips for family travel to? USVI, maybe?

emcap

We are hoping to take a trip this spring somewhere beautiful and warm, taking six kids ages 1-13.  we were thinking US Virgin Islands to avoid passports for everyone.  My dh and I plus one child would need to renew and everyone else need a new one, that adds a lot to the expense, but if its worth it we would be willing to consider it. especially if other islands are a lot cheaper.

random info - No specific requirements that I can think of.  I would like (of course) to make it as economical as possible.  Love to explore a bit and see some sites, maybe some hiking, etc. but plenty of time on the beach also.  beautiful easy-ish access snorkeling! any awesome side trip ideas would be so welcome 

thanks!

• Like 1

I suggest that you also consider going to Puerto Rico. It might be much less expensive and have many more things to see, like the Rain Forest and Old San Juan, for starters. Puerto Rico is a Commonwealth of the USA, so you don't need a Passport to go there and then return.

• Like 2

I really believe that you should concentrate on Puerto Rico.  Lots of airlines with promotional fares. Lots of places to visit: Old San Juan, the Rain Forest, the beautiful beaches.  I have a memory, of it being *almost* impossible for me to get out of the water, in the beach in front of the hotel I was staying in, to do whatever I needed to do, and that was near the International Airport in San Juan. Imagine what their pristine beaches are like. The water was warm, like a bathtub.   I rented a car and drove to the Rain Forest and Luquillo Beach and other places.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147324-d148049-Reviews-Luquillo_Beach-El_Yunque_National_Forest_Puerto_Rico.html

http://puertoricotourism.pr.gov/dnn/Default.aspx

ETA:  U.S.V.I. would probably be FAR more expensive than P.R., but you need to compare apples to apples.    Possibly you can rent a fully furnished Timeshare for a week. We did that in Orlando, at the end of April 2016 and it was wonderful. 

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

St. John is one of my favorite places but it is hard to get to (have to take a ferry over and you really need a car for the best beaches there).

We stayed in St. Thomas and did a couple of days in St. John, but it was just the three of us.

Puerto Rico is very nice but it's really not the USVI!

• Like 1