Menu

West Palm Beach - If you were spending a night and a couple of days . . .

Jenny in Florida

What would you do? Where would you stay if you were watching your budget?

My son needs to be there for a series of events in early February, and rather than driving there and back each time (about 2.5 hours from where we live), we're thinking of just getting a hotel room and staying over for at least one night.

If we do that, though, I want to get some bang for our bucks and turn it into a fun mini-getaway for my husband and me. Since we're hoping to do a couple of other trips this year (probably one long weekend and then something longer), I don't want to blow the travel budget for the year on this impromptu thing. So, we'd be looking for a reasonably nice but inexpensive place to stay and a few low-key, free or cheap things to pass the time while our son is busy.

So far, I found the Flagler Musuem, which looks nice. What else should I consider?

I should mention that neither of us is what one might call "outdoorsy." And my husband has some physical limitations that make higher impact activities and, sometimes, even walking for extended periods of time difficult. We like historical stuff.

Also, even La Quinta is almost $200 per night. So, I would very much appreciate suggestions for places to stay.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

That's my old stomping grounds, I'm from Palm Beach Gardens. I'd say, look in the greater metro area for a hotel. Avoid anything on/near Tamarind Avenue! 

But Palm Beach Gardens, or Jupiter or Juno are not far from West Palm at all. 

As for cheap/free to do..hmm. Maybe the turtle museum/rehab place? It's in Juno. 

OH!!!!! Busch Wildlife Center!!!!! It's free (they do have a donation box) and it's small, so not too much walking for your husband at all. All the animals are native Florida species, and all are ones that are unable to be released back into the wild. Great little place. It's in Jupiter. 

There's the planetarium at the Science Museum, but I haven't been in over a decade. 

Walking along the beach is nice, or around Palm Beach...there are sidewalks so easier on your husband. 

The turtle place is really nice.  

There is also a place on Hutchinson Island with stingrays that is fun.  

http://www.discovermartin.com/directory/florida-oceanographic-coastal-center/

There is a Mobil gas station on A1A in Stuart that has outstanding Cubano sandwiches.  

(650 NE Ocean Blvd, Stuart, FL 34996)

The Navy Seal Museum is in Ft. Pierce.  

https://www.navysealmuseum.org/

We took an airboat tour with this guy and it was wonderful.  

http://www.floridacrackerairboatride.com/

That's my old stomping grounds, I'm from Palm Beach Gardens. I'd say, look in the greater metro area for a hotel. Avoid anything on/near Tamarind Avenue! 

But Palm Beach Gardens, or Jupiter or Juno are not far from West Palm at all. 

As for cheap/free to do..hmm. Maybe the turtle museum/rehab place? It's in Juno. 

OH!!!!! Busch Wildlife Center!!!!! It's free (they do have a donation box) and it's small, so not too much walking for your husband at all. All the animals are native Florida species, and all are ones that are unable to be released back into the wild. Great little place. It's in Jupiter. 

There's the planetarium at the Science Museum, but I haven't been in over a decade. 

Walking along the beach is nice, or around Palm Beach...there are sidewalks so easier on your husband. 

The turtle place is really nice.  

There is also a place on Hutchinson Island with stingrays that is fun.  

http://www.discovermartin.com/directory/florida-oceanographic-coastal-center/

There is a Mobil gas station on A1A in Stuart that has outstanding Cubano sandwiches.  

(650 NE Ocean Blvd, Stuart, FL 34996)

The Navy Seal Museum is in Ft. Pierce.  

https://www.navysealmuseum.org/

We took an airboat tour with this guy and it was wonderful.  

http://www.floridacrackerairboatride.com/

Hmmm, so, yeah,since the outdoorsy/nature stuff isn't really our thing, it doesn't sound like this is a good possibility for a getaway for us. That's kind of the vibe I was getting from looking online, but I was hoping maybe someone had some other ideas.

Thanks for trying.

I may still stay over Friday night, just to avoid the extra round-trip drive, but it will probably be just me trying to kill time while my son rehearses. And I'm pretty content to camp out somewhere with a book and/or a craft project.

• Like 1

Well, there's always tons of shopping.....or at least window shopping. Lots and lots of shops. 

Which is one of the reasons it seems to make more sense for me to solo on this one. I could entertain myself with window shopping, but it's not my husband's thing.

Or you could look into plays? There's the Kravitz Center, The Society of the Four Arts, the Royal Poinciana Theater....

Amusingly, the reason my son needs to be there is that he will be performing for an event at the Kravitz Center. So, I'll be seeing that show on Saturday night before we drive back home.

Also, if you want to drive a bit further, there is the Morikami Museum! http://morikami.org

Closer, right in Palm Beach, is the Norton Art Museum

Driving is another thing that isn't good for my husband. (I know, we're impossible.) Sometimes, he tolerates it just fine, but other times he is in too much pain by the time he reaches the destination to be able to enjoy the activity. No matter what, he has to be in the car for the trip from Orlando to WPB and back at least once. The only way we have a shot at making this a fun weekend, rather than just something we have to do, is if I can find a way to keep us occupied in a very low stress, localized way.

These are all great ideas for me, though, if I'm amusing myself Friday evening and all day Saturday. I appreciate the thoughts!

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 1

Which is one of the reasons it seems to make more sense for me to solo on this one. I could entertain myself with window shopping, but it's not my husband's thing.

Amusingly, the reason my son needs to be there is that he will be performing for an even at the Kravitz Center. So, I'll be seeing that show on Saturday night before we drive back home.

Driving is another thing that isn't good for my husband. (I know, we're impossible.) Sometimes, he tolerates it just fine, but other times he is in too much pain by the time he reaches the destination to be able to enjoy the activity. No matter what, he has to be in the car for the trip from Orlando to WPB and back at least once. The only way we have a shot at making this a fun weekend, rather than just something we have to do, is if I can find a way to keep us occupied in a very low stress, localized way.

These are all great ideas for me, though, if I'm amusing myself Friday evening and all day Saturday. I appreciate the thoughts!

Yeah, it's only a tourist destination if you either want to lay on the beach, go to a spa, or shop.