Menu

Any good YouTube or other exercise videos for large, out of shape women?

Ottakee

I can walk for many miles at a decent 3mph pace but I need more. I have the Leslie sansone DVDs and can do those.

I am looking more for some great exercise videos that feature real plus size women that are doable for beginners....Not those get fit ones that feature women who are a size 6. Add in the fact I am mid 40s and have a knee/ankle I need to protect a bit (HX of torn meniscus and tendon issues).

To top it all off, I want it to be 10-20 minutes. I just don't have the time right now for more than that.

Any great ideas? Yoga, Pilates, aerobics, etc.

I like Yoga with Adrienne. Try her yoga camp from a couple of years ago. It is a 30 day ease into yoga journey.

I also like classic Richard Simmons. He always has a variety of people in his videos so I am not staring at fit as a fiddle people.

Edited by kewb

I like JessicaSmithtv. She's young, perky, and fit, but she always tells you to listen to your body. She has a variety of videos for all levels, and she always shows several levels of the exercise depending on your ability/fitness level. She even has some videos for those with bad backs or bad knees.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jessicasmithtv

• Like 3

Essentrics is ballet-based stretching morphing to strengthening.  Someone who is pretty big would find it aerobic as well, as I know from experience, LOL.  I like the approach to strength building through stretching rather than compression, and find the science convincing.  And it's reasonably gentle.  I don't pay attention to body types, so I literally don't know whether they have large people doing the exercises or not.

My favorite home weight training resource has been 'Strong Women Stay Young', a book that concentrates heavily on form and on building weight up gradually the way a personal trainer would.  I've been thinking about going back to that.  I wish that there was a DVD to use for this.

Bikini Body Mommy. She's made 5 different 90 day series of free YouTube videos (access on her website or on YouTube) and just started publishing her 6.0 series a few days ago. She's thinner in her earlier series (not all of them, but I'm not sure if which ones were post-baby and which were later on after she lost some weight), but definitely her 5.0 series and 6.0 series she is plus sized. Her workouts are 14 minutes plus warm up/cool down, for a perfect 20 minute daily video. I did 5.0, and she started rather slowly (except for Day 1...that was rough) and then slowly ramped up as the 90 days progressed.

Did I mention that they are free? :-)

• Like 2

I don't know how much is on YouTube, a little at least - but TTap MORE is such a perfect program for this, and easier and more adaptable than the regular (and awesome) TTap routines.

Some of the best money I've ever spent on health and fitness were all these DVDs, and they'd paid themselves back in spades. But there are also try before you buy videos on the website and YouTube as well as lots of reviews online I encourage you to check out. I've done Leslie and love her walking DVDs too but I find those big my knees and ankles much more and give me less payoff for the time spent. TTap is very time efficient. Which is awesome because I kind of hate working out at home :p

https://store.t-tapp.com/collections/t-tapp-starter-systems/products/t-tapp-more-level-1-2-set?variant=17397006020

Thanks for all of the ideas. I will check out some of these new ones.

I do have T Tapp More and a regular one. I am sure they are effective but SOOOO incredibly boring and quite annoying...But I might be able to tolerate her 1-2 days a week.

I did the Joel Harper balance one today and it was very doable. I can see that I need more work but it was quick and doable.....And got done before the kids got up. I think I might try doing that one for a few days and checking out some of his others.

Does he have quite a few where I could do 2-3 or 4 of them for a more complete workout?

I did the Joel Harper balance one today and it was very doable. I can see that I need more work but it was quick and doable.....And got done before the kids got up. I think I might try doing that one for a few days and checking out some of his others.

Does he have quite a few where I could do 2-3 or 4 of them for a more complete workout?

There are a lot of his on this playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8DD1720E09F442F1

(FYI - most of these are pulled from his FitPack dvds.  I used to have one of his dvds and they're great for gently restarting.)

I second the Jessica Smith recommendations.

I like Sarah Starr yoga on youtube (she does some chair yoga, too, which is nice).

Edited by alisoncooks