Menu

For Fun: Homeschool Things You Just Don't Get (no hate)

poppy

Extreme helicoptering.

Your kid is 13 and you won't let them stay home alone for an hour in the middle of the day.

Dude...😳

Well, silly as it is, I was that mom.

I live in IL, where it is not technically illegal to leave a 13 or younger kid home, but if, heaven forbid, something happens, they can come after you.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/leave-your-13-year-old-home-alone-police-can-take-her-into-custody-under-illinois-law/

• Like 1

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is curious to me. I'm in a book club, and it really is a book club. The majority does read and discuss the book. If it stops being that, I would quit.

However! My Bunco group is not really a Bunco group anymore. We only play a dice game once or twice a year, though we meet monthly. We are reaally a Talk, Drink Sangria and Eat Food group. But that would be long to say. With this group, though, I don't care about the dice game. I care about the friendships.

I'm a reader too , I mean a club for the 'I didn't read it ' women. Or the women who just come to say whether they liked the main characters or not , then want to move on to chit chat. Because they kinda irritate me at book club (and I probably bore then).

Well, silly as it is, I was that mom.

I live in IL, where it is not technically illegal to leave a 13 or younger kid home, but if, heaven forbid, something happens, they can come after you.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/leave-your-13-year-old-home-alone-police-can-take-her-into-custody-under-illinois-law/

That's kookie. It is age 8 in my state, though age 13 to babysit younger siblings. I think that is a bit puzzling, because if your only child is 8, they are assumed capable of managing their own health and safety, but if you have three kids who are ages 12, 10, and 5, it is not assumed that the 12 and 10 year olds can assure the health and safety of themselves as well as the 5yo.

• Like 2

Book clubs are for suckers. My friends and I formed a Pie Club :-)

I wouldn't mind and pie club. I may have to start one.

When my first book club became let's just get together and drink I was happy to be kicked out.

My fellow kicked out moms and I had a pajama book club for awhile. Come hang out in your pajamas, eat some snacks, and talk about the book. That one ended when the kids got older and all had different schedules.

I like my current book club. But they are not a pajama and pie group. The company is good, I have read some interesting books and discussed them.

• Like 1

I'm a reader too , I mean a club for the 'I didn't read it ' women. Or the women who just come to say whether they liked the main characters or not , then want to move on to chit chat. Because they kinda irritate me at book club (and I probably bore then).

Yeah, I wouldn't like that at all. My bookclub is populated with very intelligent people with great insights into the characters and storyline. If I couldn't get that at my bookclub, I would quit. Yes, we do chit chat also, but that isn't the majority of what we do. :)

• Like 1

People who sign up for classes and then don't have their kids prepare, only show up half the time, or both. And in general, the ones who want exceptions made (their 8 yr old in a teen class, their 5 yr old in the 3rd-5th grade class) are the worst offenders.

THIS THIS THIS!!!!!!!

I could not believe that a parent was so upset with me because I had to give a grade and her kid didn't do the work so he got a low grade.  She called and complained to me.  

UGH.

• Like 3

I've been thinking of us as "democratic homeschoolers" lately. Sort of like a democratic school, but at home. I don't pick a bunch of curricula and make dd do it or else, but I'm not okay with her doing absolutely nothing, either. We sit down and discuss what she'd like to learn, then make a rough plan for however long that will take. If she decides in the middle to switch to something else she's interested in, that's fine. My only non-negotiable is math, but we decided together which curriculum to use. The only thing she's not allowed to learn is nothing. It's a nice compromise between unschooling and public school at home.

THIS.  Thank you!  I can call us democratic homeschoolers.  It sounds much more intentional. LOL

I insist on learning writing skills, we like history/art/poetry together, and he presents a daily plan for math, science, music, and reading, letting me know if he needs me or if he wants to simply give a report over what he accomplished.  It has been working beautifully...but we're still in honeymoon phase so it will be interesting to see if it's long term or not.

• Like 3

Book clubs are for suckers. My friends and I formed a Pie Club :-)

I wanna be in a pie club!!! Can I come? My club here would be small. All my friends equate sugar as Satan and probably imagine they would die instantly if they touched pie. I on the other hand, am a massive fan. :)

This blog explained it better than I could with these questions:

You may do what you like, after you have completed the work I’d like you to do.

My ideas are more important than your ideas.

I don’t think your interests are as valuable as my ideas.

I don’t trust you will learn everything you need to know  while you are unschooling, so I’d like you to fulfill my requirements first.

What you think you need to know, isn’t what I think you need to know.

We’ve ticked off enough boxes this year, so I now feel comfortable giving you the freedom to direct your own learning.

I personally am not an unschooler.    I do a lot of relaxed homeschooling led by the kids' interest.  I wish there was  a nifty catchphrase for that. 

I  do have respect for people who give up control, reset all expectations and put their faith in their children's innate curiosity........ enough to concede the term "unschooler" to them.

I'm not sure about this.  I would at one time have agreed with you, but I've been told by unschoolers that my view of unschooling was inaccurate, and that it really is much more about the parent doing work, keeping in mind what needs to be learned, providing opportunities, and so on. Also, potentially, disallowing things like video games all day.  This kind of thing really does depend on the parent having some framework in mind and not leaving everything up to nature ir the child's interests and motivations. What I was thinking of was, apparently, "radical unschooling."

Based on a more parentally involved idea of unschooling, I think that the idea that one can be more directed with a few subjects and unschool the rest becomes understandable, and the line between interest led schooling and unschooling becomes almost transparent.

• Like 1

Something that's seemed strange to me for so long:  8th grade hits and you go from tons of other homeschoolers 7th and younger to  z e r o  homeschoolers after about age 12.  At 7th/8th grade, EVERYBODY puts their kids back in public school.  And if you happen to find one lone homeschooling family who is actually homeschooling teenagers, they're outsourcing everything and 10th-12th is dual enrollment at the community college.   :confused:  No wonder there's not a lot of curriculum to choose from at the high school level.  There's no market for it like there is for younger kids. 

Even my 9th grader's homeschooling-BFF starts public school this week.    :(   

I know ONE mom IRL who is homeschooling her teenage son "ye olde fashioned-way", without outsourcing/enrolling in community college.  I told her we absolutely have to stay in touch.  Like it or not, Lady, I'm emailing you every once in a while to see what you guys are up to!   

Am I missing something?  It's lonely here!  Is this just a phenomenon where we live??  My kids are going to be the only weirdos with homeschooling diplomas at this rate.

It's common where I live.  I think there are a lot of reasons for it, but the three big ones are: kids want to go/social issues; parent is not able/does not want to teach important subjects to the level they require or other specific academic opportunities; and for some families their problems with the b&m schools are more about the elementary school years.

• Like 3

Something that's seemed strange to me for so long:  8th grade hits and you go from tons of other homeschoolers 7th and younger to  z e r o  homeschoolers after about age 12.  At 7th/8th grade, EVERYBODY puts their kids back in public school.  And if you happen to find one lone homeschooling family who is actually homeschooling teenagers, they're outsourcing everything and 10th-12th is dual enrollment at the community college.   :confused:  No wonder there's not a lot of curriculum to choose from at the high school level.  There's no market for it like there is for younger kids. 

Even my 9th grader's homeschooling-BFF starts public school this week.    :(   

I know ONE mom IRL who is homeschooling her teenage son "ye olde fashioned-way", without outsourcing/enrolling in community college.  I told her we absolutely have to stay in touch.  Like it or not, Lady, I'm emailing you every once in a while to see what you guys are up to!   

Am I missing something?  It's lonely here!  Is this just a phenomenon where we live??  My kids are going to be the only weirdos with homeschooling diplomas at this rate.

There are SO many reasons for this.  We found this in our HS group too, although there were many committed for the entirety.

We started HSing because we have a son with special needs, whose needs were not being met in school.  There are two private schools for people with his needs, but they are over $25K per year.  I thought of working and putting him there, but the logistics of getting him there and picked up at the end of the school day would have necessitated after school care, etc....which would add another $4,000 or so.  AND would have had DH or me traveling a long way out of our way to transport him.  

So, I stayed home from the time he was 8.  I homeschooled all the kids from then on, until my oldest finished high school, got what he needed, and started doing well on his own (at home but far better at what he needed).  

When my oldest started dual enrollment, my middle asked if he could go to school for 10th grade.  So, he started school last year.  It was a transition year for us.  Oldest at CC, middle at a charter school, and youngest still homeschooling.

Then youngest wanted to go to school.  He is currently 7th grade.  He is LOVING school.  He even got student of the month in October!

PERFECT!  I went back to work this year as it is the perfect time to get in there and get serious about saving for college expenses for the boys.  

Not everyone homeschools because they feel a strong conviction that it is the only way, God's way, or what have you.  Sometimes, like for us, it is necessitated by your kids, your lifestyle (moving frequently, etc...), or just for a season.

• Like 9

I'm not sure about this. I would at one time have agreed with you, but I've been told by unschoolers that my view of unschooling was inaccurate, and that it really is much more about the parent doing work, keeping in mind what needs to be learned, providing opportunities, and so on. Also, potentially, disallowing things like video games all day. This kind of thing really does depend on the parent having some framework in mind and not leaving everything up to nature ir the child's interests and motivations. What I was thinking of was, apparently, "radical unschooling."

Based on a more parentally involved idea of unschooling, I think that the idea that one can be more directed with a few subjects and unschool the rest becomes understandable, and the line between interest led schooling and unschooling becomes almost transparent.

It's just semantics. I've just been slapped down so many times by unschoolers I try to protect others from using the label and facing the scorn.

I also think the idea that anything child-directed = unschooling is putting homeschooling into a 'school at home ' corner that it doesn't deserve. I am proud to be a homeschooler.

• Like 2

It's just semantics. I've just been slapped down so many times by unschoolers I try to protect others from using the label and facing the scorn.

I also think the idea that anything child-directed = unschooling is putting homeschooling into a 'school at home ' corner that it doesn't deserve. I am proud to be a homeschooler.

It is absolutly semantics, and I think the scorn may come no matter what particular definition you use.  Sometimes I think its a bit of a moving goalposts things too.

• Like 3

As someone else said, I don't get radical unschooling. Some days you need to do what I say and brush your teeth and learn how to count your change.

I also don't get the derision I receive when I don't tow the party line about how awesome it is that my kids can hang out with kids of all ages. Yes, my highschooler can hang (babysit) with your ten year old. She doesn't want to. She also doesn't want to hang with your 13 year old because they are both teens. She wants to hang with her friends who are her age so they don't have to police what they are saying and the field trip doesn't have to be brought down to the younger kids level.

I am so.tired. Of this. And my oldest is it even a teen. There just happens to be a gap between us and the other homeschool families we know.

Well, these are reasons why so many long-term homeschoolers do send their teens to B&M school. The pool of friends gets tiny. Many parents are unable to teach serious math, or French, or chemistry befitting of a high schooler. If they realize this and place their kids in school, so much the better.

I actually do know a larger number of homeschool high schoolers than you're saying, but I'm soooooo happy I am not one of them.

I understand that is the reason why many put their kids into b &m schools for high school. And I have no problem with it (not that it would even be up to me to give my blessing since it's none of my business)! But I can teach high school subjects just fine. I was even paid by the state to do so in the past. My kids have never relied on the homeschool community for friends. I have had my oh-my-gosh-what-am-I-doing moments but I have those from time to time no matter what I am doing.

My problem is with others who were "evangelists" for homeschooling when the kids were younger becoming "evangelists" for the public high schools once they switch over. I wish that people would do what works for them and would give me the same respect for doing what works for us. I have had complete strangers who told me that they used to homeschool, berate me for still having my kids at home! I'm not sure what motivates that "if I made a choice then it must be the best for everyone " kind of thinking.

(Obviously this isn't directed at you Quill, since we've never met!)

• Like 12

Something that's seemed strange to me for so long: 8th grade hits and you go from tons of other homeschoolers 7th and younger to z e r o homeschoolers after about age 12. At 7th/8th grade, EVERYBODY puts their kids back in public school. And if you happen to find one lone homeschooling family who is actually homeschooling teenagers, they're outsourcing everything and 10th-12th is dual enrollment at the community college. :confused: No wonder there's not a lot of curriculum to choose from at the high school level. There's no market for it like there is for younger kids.

Even my 9th grader's homeschooling-BFF starts public school this week. :(

I know ONE mom IRL who is homeschooling her teenage son "ye olde fashioned-way", without outsourcing/enrolling in community college. I told her we absolutely have to stay in touch. Like it or not, Lady, I'm emailing you every once in a while to see what you guys are up to!

Am I missing something? It's lonely here! Is this just a phenomenon where we live?? My kids are going to be the only weirdos with homeschooling diplomas at this rate.

I don't get putting kids back in ps, either. But, the pss here is why I homeschool. If someone has different reasons for homeschooling in the first place, it might make sense. I just find it odd when people who so strongly oppose the ps school system all the sudden deem it just fine. (I get that some people have life changes that dictate them putting their kids in ps but that isn't what I'm talking about.)

On another note, I don't get the broad term of Christian used as a label for curricula in homeschooling. There are a million threads here asking if a certain program will fit a certain set of beliefs. I wish the writers would just own their belief system and title it appropriately or at least make in glaringly obvious on their website. Like front and center. It would save everyone a lot of trouble.

• Like 5

I understand that is the reason why many put their kids into b &m schools for high school. And I have no problem with it (not that it would even be up to me to give my blessing since it's none of my business)! But I can teach high school subjects just fine. I was even paid by the state to do so in the past. My kids have never relied on the homeschool community for friends. I have had my oh-my-gosh-what-am-I-doing moments but I have those from time to time no matter what I am doing.

My problem is with others who were "evangelists" for homeschooling when the kids were younger becoming "evangelists" for the public high schools once they switch over. I wish that people would do what works for them and would give me the same respect for doing what works for us. I have had complete strangers who told me that they used to homeschool, berate me for still having my kids at home! I'm not sure what motivates that "if I made a choice then it must be the best for everyone " kind of thinking.

I think the kind of passionate people who think their way is the one right way tend to think that no matter how their choices change over time. So the former homeschooling "evangelist" can easily become a public school "evangelist".

I've seen this with a cousin who was a LLL-leader (went from trying to convince people to nurse their preschoolers on demand to trying to convince them to give their babies bottles of formula at night) and with several people who left their faith tradition (went from being the most obnoxious religious evangelists to be "evangelists" for atheism). It's just a certain personality type. 

• Like 5

Adding another one: Dual Enrollment.

Actually, I think it can be a really good thing. BUT for us, in our state, it is NOT paid for, or relatively affordable for us. A three credit course would cost about $400, plus books. So closer to $500-$600. Add in the fact that the student is not able to drive themself either due to age/no driver's license or the car is needed at home for other people, then I am stuck driving back and forth, or sitting in the parking lot waiting. That adds up to wasted time I can't spend with my other students or even just cooking and doing laundry. Next factor in that DE students pick last for classes we'd end up with crummy times or teachers, and might not be able to pick classes back to back so wasting even more time.

That being said, it is likely that I will have BabyBaby do some DE classes. I have had "Senioritis" for about five years now LOL and when I o lay have one left to teach at home it might go better for her to do a few outside classes. Unless a really good class with a reallllly good teacher becomes available at our local homeschool enrichment center, but even then the cost would be about $250.

Also, sort of related, homeschoolers who take classes at the local public high school, or elementary/middle schools. It is not an option in my state (well, schools aren't required to allow participation, but some may choose to) but about 90% of why I continue to homeschool is to NOT be bound by school schedules, both time of day and progress (we have taken anywhere from 3-15 months to complete a typical 1cr high school course for various reasons) plus our high school is 25mins away by car, so it would take over an hour and a half just to take a 42min class. Then we'd have to keep track of any adjusted bell schedules. Not worth my time, and just figuring gas money alone ina no fuel efficient car, it approaches the cost of just dual enrolling at CC!

• Like 6

I wanna be in a pie club!!! Can I come? My club here would be small. All my friends equate sugar as Satan and probably imagine they would die instantly if they touched pie. I on the other hand, am a massive fan. :)

I LOVE my sugar-free, gluten-free, uber healthy friends, but I do not invite them to pie club. Pie Club is about traditional, sugar-laden, full-fat pies with homemade crusts. It's about fraying before Pie Club so you can taste every pie and not eating afterwards because you realized you ate the equivalent of a whole pie by yourself.

I'm not sure about this.  I would at one time have agreed with you, but I've been told by unschoolers that my view of unschooling was inaccurate, and that it really is much more about the parent doing work, keeping in mind what needs to be learned, providing opportunities, and so on. Also, potentially, disallowing things like video games all day.  This kind of thing really does depend on the parent having some framework in mind and not leaving everything up to nature ir the child's interests and motivations. What I was thinking of was, apparently, "radical unschooling."

I've seen unschooling done really well, but it's too much work for me. Some days I just need to tick boxes. It's almost like real-world Montessori. Those kids are out having real hands-on experiences every day and they certainly don't have access to an all-you-can-watch TV and video game buffet. They're intrinsically motivated kids with high-energy parents. I don't think it's a learning style that suits every parent or child. I don't think the radical unparenting fringe looks anything like effective child-led learning. Not every kid will lead themselves to dental hygiene or vegetables or math. The parent has to step in before their 11th grader realizes they can't go to college because they've been undereducated.

• Like 4

Yeah, I don't get it when *anyone* presumes that the way they do it is the way all people ought to. I have dear friends who are/did homeschool high school; more power to them. DD's boyfriend was entirely hsed, as were all of his siblings. His mother is a math and science genius though, lol! All the kids are quite bright as well. I think it's relatively easy to stay with it if your kids are apparently flourishing under hsing.

• Like 2

My Mom's book club wasn't succeeding as a typical book club, so they changed the format. 

Once a month they meet at someone's house and talk about books that they like. So it's more like, "Have you heard of this book, it is really --- you should try it. ... You liked that book, well you should like this one." They even talk about cooking and knitting books. 

Oh, and they of course have lots of snacks and drinks, and I think the majority sit around knitting. So for their book club you never have to worry about reading the book, you just have to read something, or in my mom's case listened to something. 

Edited by Julie Smith
  • Like 9

Adding another one: Dual Enrollment.

Actually, I think it can be a really good thing. BUT for us, in our state, it is NOT paid for, or relatively affordable for us. A three credit course would cost about $400, plus books. So closer to $500-$600. Add in the fact that the student is not able to drive themself either due to age/no driver's license or the car is needed at home for other people, then I am stuck driving back and forth, or sitting in the parking lot waiting. That adds up to wasted time I can't spend with my other students or even just cooking and doing laundry. Next factor in that DE students pick last for classes we'd end up with crummy times or teachers, and might not be able to pick classes back to back so wasting even more time.

That being said, it is likely that I will have BabyBaby do some DE classes. I have had "Senioritis" for about five years now LOL and when I o lay have one left to teach at home it might go better for her to do a few outside classes. Unless a really good class with a reallllly good teacher becomes available at our local homeschool enrichment center, but even then the cost would be about $250.

You're lucky if you can get a high-school level outside class for only $250. The ones here are triple or quadruple that price. Whereas DE costs $42/credit. My child is taking 3 courses this semester so it's $378 for the tuition plus the cost of books. And unlike HS classes, they'll count towards an associate's degree and the gen ed requirements for a bachelor's degree.

• Like 4

No hate and please, I don't have time to come back and debate with folks but....

I just.don't.get homeschoolers and tech. It's taken me a long time to just shrug it off.

I just can't imagine John Holt as an Apple Fanboi. I see so many similarities between the underlying philosophy of homeschooling pioneers and the underlying philosophy of the free software community.

But it took DAYS of bouncing emails back and forth with Pat and then being referred to Steve to find out that the virtual homeschooling conference software was just something than would run in my browser and I could just disregard all the instructions for Windows users to download this and that and Apple users to run that stuff under WINE.

Whenever I offer to help somebody learn about GNU/Linux, I am quickly brushed off with some sort of comment about, "I'll let you know if we have any problems with bored teenagers who need to be kept out of trouble."

I am tolerated if people think I use Ubuntu or Mint with Wine and a ton of proprietary programs temporarily while I am saving up money to buy microsoft or apple products but if they find out that I am using free software for philosophical reasons, they react as if I'd said, "Hey, guys, let's go buy a bunch of machine guns and overthrow the government!"

So I have learned to say things like, "I'll have to ask my dh about that because I'm just not a computer person." in homeschooling circles.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

You're lucky if you can get a high-school level outside class for only $250. The ones here are triple or quadruple that price. Whereas DE costs $42/credit. My child is taking 3 courses this semester so it's $378 for the tuition plus the cost of books. And unlike HS classes, they'll count towards an associate's degree and the gen ed requirements for a bachelor's degree.

Oh my! Actually, the high school level courses nearby here have a wide cost range, from $10 to close to $1000 depending on if it's a mom run coop or a homeschool class at a college (CMU or Pitt are totally out of my reach!) this was a mid-level example at the enrichment center less than 1mile from our house.

If DE credits were $42 each my girls would take every single class they could! It's almost $125/credit with no financial aid or work study before hs graduation. :(

• Like 1

If DE credits were $42 each my girls would take every single class they could! It's almost $125/credit with no financial aid or work study before hs graduation. :(

That's about what our de costs are. My dd is taking her first class this semester, $365 for a 3 credit class. Not to mention the book/online code was $161. Bleah! OTOH, she loves it so far, so I guess we'll do some if we can swing it financially.

• Like 1

KONOS, is that even out there anymore?

A "new at the time" friend wanted me to join her.  She would take my 2 boys one or two days a week, so I would have the whole day to prepare for next week.  Imagine!  A whole day to myself.

The flip side was that I got her 3 boys (She also had a toddler and I was sure at some point he would be joining the pack at my house) one or two days a week so she could prepare for the next week.

She got 2 boys, I got back 4.

No thank you. It sounded totally exhausting.

Edited by KatieinMich

Something that's seemed strange to me for so long: 8th grade hits and you go from tons of other homeschoolers 7th and younger to z e r o homeschoolers after about age 12. At 7th/8th grade, EVERYBODY puts their kids back in public school. And if you happen to find one lone homeschooling family who is actually homeschooling teenagers, they're outsourcing everything and 10th-12th is dual enrollment at the community college. :confused: No wonder there's not a lot of curriculum to choose from at the high school level. There's no market for it like there is for younger kids.

Even my 9th grader's homeschooling-BFF starts public school this week. :(

I know ONE mom IRL who is homeschooling her teenage son "ye olde fashioned-way", without outsourcing/enrolling in community college. I told her we absolutely have to stay in touch. Like it or not, Lady, I'm emailing you every once in a while to see what you guys are up to!

Am I missing something? It's lonely here! Is this just a phenomenon where we live?? My kids are going to be the only weirdos with homeschooling diplomas at this rate.

Well there's a few things at play:

-What the kids want

-What the parents want

-the level of education that best serves that particular student.

-Significant cost savings of duel enrollment for some families (sending a child to our state's version of DE, Running Start, is tuition free for a child without a high school diploma. It's $5500+ per year for high school graduates.)

We are one of those families...my older son is either headed to a specialized STEM high school with opportunities I can't match at home (it's a lottery to get in so we don't know yet) or some hybrid approach. That is what he wants and I don't see any reason why it's a bad choice for him. If he doesn't get to go to his first choice, the most likely alternative is taking 1-2 classes at the local high school with PT homeschooling for a year or so and then entering Running Start.

I know one retired homeschooling mom who had all 4 of her children do Running Start. The main consideration was economic. It cut their tuition bill for the local university by a lot. All four kids got 2 years of college for free and then three of them graduated from the local university in just two years and 1 of them in 3 years. That's 9 years of tuition for them instead of 16-17. That's a very big consideration for families who don't qualify for need based financial aid. They live a short bus ride from the state's flagship university and the deal was that the parents had the money for two years tuition, fees and books each.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 4

That's about what our de costs are. My dd is taking her first class this semester, $365 for a 3 credit class. Not to mention the book/online code was $161. Bleah! OTOH, she loves it so far, so I guess we'll do some if we can swing it financially.

Here the tuition for two years is free for high schoolers who qualify and the families just pay the fees and buy the books. It's easy to see why families jump on that.

• Like 2

Co-ops. I don't understand the allure. About as antithetical to my personality type as can be. To me it's the equivalent of volunteering for a group project in university when there was another option.

And lapbooks. The busywork aspect loses me. Maybe when they're older I will see the benefit but right now it just looks like a ton of work on my part for five minutes on theirs.

Yup. I don't get either of these. 

No hate and please, I don't have time to come back and debate with folks but....

I just.don't.get homeschoolers and tech. It's taken me a long time to just shrug it off.

I just can't imagine John Holt as an Apple Fanboi. I see so many similarities between the underlying philosophy of homeschooling pioneers and the underlying philosophy of the free software community.

But it took DAYS of bouncing emails back and forth with Pat and then being referred to Steve to find out that the virtual homeschooling conference software was just something than would run in my browser and I could just disregard all the instructions for Windows users to download this and that and Apple users to run that stuff under WINE.

Whenever I offer to help somebody learn about GNU/Linux, I am quickly brushed off with some sort of comment about, "I'll let you know if we have any problems with bored teenagers who need to be kept out of trouble."

I am tolerated if people think I use Ubuntu or Mint with Wine and a ton of proprietary programs temporarily while I am saving up money to buy microsoft or apple products but if they find out that I am using free software for philosophical reasons, they react as if I'd said, "Hey, guys, let's go buy a bunch of machine guns and overthrow the government!"

So I have learned to say things like, "I'll have to ask my dh about that because I'm just not a computer person." in homeschooling circles.

The only word I understood here was "fanboi." :lol:

Are you saying people give you grief for (obviously) knowing a grip about computers and preferring to do off-the-trodden path stuff with them??

I just checked our county college's program for high schoolers.  They don't call it Dual Enrollment but it seems to be the same thing.  You pay the same as regular students - $150/credit plus a few fees per course.  So, probably around $500 per course.

ETA:  We still have time but I don't plan to use this option for anything except maybe pre-calculus and calculus- those are the two classes I don't feel fully capable of teaching.  It will depend on if there are on-line options, is DH available to handle that class (he could do it easily), and probably a bunch of other factors.

Edited by Where's Toto?

Here the tuition for two years is free for high schoolers who qualify and the families just pay the fees and buy the books. It's easy to see why families jump on that.

Yes, I understand why families do it as well (both homeschoolers and public schoolers).  But when I checked in to it, I was providing a much higher level of high school classes at home and it didn't make sense for me - esp. since it would have impacted my ability to teach my other child greatly.  That said, I may make a different choice with dd, who has expressed some interest in Running Start.  Which brings me to another thing I don't get - When people think that they have "got ya" when you make a different decision for one child over the other.  It doesn't mean that I finally saw the light!  (Though I suppose for some people it may be that way.)  For me, it just means that I make decisions for my kids that fit their particular situations and needs, and those decisions may be very different for each particular child. 

• Like 6

Yes, I understand why families do it as well (both homeschoolers and public schoolers).  But when I checked in to it, I was providing a much higher level of high school classes at home and it didn't make sense for me - esp. since it would have impacted my ability to teach my other child greatly.  That said, I may make a different choice with dd, who has expressed some interest in Running Start.  Which brings me to another thing I don't get - When people think that they have "got ya" when you make a different decision for one child over the other.  It doesn't mean that I finally saw the light!  (Though I suppose for some people it may be that way.)  For me, it just means that I make decisions for my kids that fit their particular situations and needs, and those decisions may be very different for each particular child. 

Because either you're validating MY choices, or you're not.

Yes, I understand why families do it as well (both homeschoolers and public schoolers). But when I checked in to it, I was providing a much higher level of high school classes at home and it didn't make sense for me - esp. since it would have impacted my ability to teach my other child greatly. That said, I may make a different choice with dd, who has expressed some interest in Running Start. Which brings me to another thing I don't get - When people think that they have "got ya" when you make a different decision for one child over the other. It doesn't mean that I finally saw the light! (Though I suppose for some people it may be that way.) For me, it just means that I make decisions for my kids that fit their particular situations and needs, and those decisions may be very different for each particular child.

I agree that it depends on the student. The financial considerations also matter, especially for parents who are expecting to pay for college in full. Calculus at home doesn't get college credit or waive the prerequisite for other college classes. It doesn't matter what the level of instruction is between home and the college.

I think that for older students with certain goals there are classes that can not be better done at home than in a fully equipped classroom with a subject matter expert. There are also times where the community college class could be a disservice or waste of time for the student...Running Start carries a higher value for students who intend to enroll at a university that accepts all of the credits and less of a value for students who intend to enroll at a private university that will not take transfer credits from community colleges.

Come to think of it one thing I don't get about some homeschoolers is why some think one thing should work for all of their children. I've had conversations where parents tell me their younger child is struggling with (insert whatever older child used at the same age) but they are totally implacable if you suggest trying something different for the younger child. It's like the younger child just has to deal with whatever was good for the older child. Um, what?

• Like 5

I can't find anything about DE on my local community college's website, but it's $198 per credit, plus an additional $105 per semester in semesterly fees, plus $5/credit for a student activity fee, plus $25/credit if the class is online, and an $80 lab fee if the class has a lab. In other words, if you want to take e.g. Physics I and nothing else one semester, it will cost at least $997 for that 4 hour class (and then you'd still have to buy the text book - when I took Physics I back in Texas, the book was $175 USED).

• Like 1

Why when people ask me about parenting or schooling, it's about stuff that hasn't a thing to do with either.

People, how you manage the laundry and what you make for dinner has nothing to do with whether you are being a good wife or mother or teacher.

Also somewhat related...

When I tell them how I actually do schooling - as in yes, I will sit there and work with them and they say, "You actually do that? I don't have time for that."

People, I have the same hours in my day as you.

• Like 6

-Coops

-Lapbooks

-Workboxes

-Spelling and vocab (tho heavens knows I bought them hoping to figure the appeal and worth.)

-classical conversations

-Math U See or any other heavily manipulatives based program for any subject

I read that as coops (like chicken coop)

and not co-ops and was wondering for a split second who the hell used a coop for their children. 😂

• Like 12

I can't find anything about DE on my local community college's website, but it's $198 per credit, plus an additional $105 per semester in semesterly fees, plus $5/credit for a student activity fee, plus $25/credit if the class is online, and an $80 lab fee if the class has a lab. In other words, if you want to take e.g. Physics I and nothing else one semester, it will cost at least $997 for that 4 hour class (and then you'd still have to buy the text book - when I took Physics I back in Texas, the book was $175 USED).

Wow. 

In Florida, DE is totally free, other than the cost of books. There might be some additional fees for some courses but we haven't hit those yet. 

We use it because my oldest needs more independence from me right now, and the format...fewer classes at a time, but at an accelerated rate, works better for him than a traditional high school schedule. ( he has ADHD)

He also finds it much less busy work than high school classes, which leaves him more free time. 

• Like 1

I don't really understand the desire for kids to be working independently super early. Homeschooling is pretty boring if it's a whole lot of 'here, taught you the lesson now go do the work'. It's fun to sit on the couch and learn together. Well, it is for me, anyway.

I met someone not too long ago who had their first grader work (completely) independently while both parents work. They are self employed so he's not alone, but they are busy with their business while he was there with a stack of R&S or something. I don't even know how that's possible. How can you self direct if you can barely read?!! That was one of the few times I've been rendered speechless when discussing homeschooling.

Why when people ask me about parenting or schooling, it's about stuff that hasn't a thing to do with either.

People, how you manage the laundry and what you make for dinner has nothing to do with whether you are being a good wife or mother or teacher.

Also somewhat related...

When I tell them how I actually do schooling - as in yes, I will sit there and work with them and they say, "You actually do that? I don't have time for that."

People, I have the same hours in my day as you.

Yeah, but there's a voyeurism there; people want to know how you deal with laundry for umpteen people and how many pans of Tater Tot casserole it takes to feed 'em all. ;) That's why all these TV shows with bazillions of kids or nonotuplets or whatever are popular. People just want to stare from the privacy of their own homes.

It's funny, but, back before Kate Gosslin became widely regarded as a nutjob; in the early shows when she had "2 six-year-olds and 6 two-year-olds," I enjoyed watching that show. My youngest was roughly the same age as the sextuplets and he was insane, so watching Screamin' Kate manage her life assured me that I had my own life well in hand. Misery loves someone to feel superior to. ;)

• Like 5

Unschoolers who think they know it all and their kids are really young.

Yeah sure lady..it doesnt really matter if your kid cant read or do math or much of anything but play in the mud when they are 7...you can still get away with being a holier then thou unschooler at that age...but when they are 10 without first grade skills...unschooling won't seem so successful. I hope it does work for you...which is why I follow your blog...cause I'm curious...but I dont need to read 10 posts a day about how forcing a kid to do things they havent chosen to do themselves. i.e schoolwork...is akin to child abuse.

🙄

I left another board because I found myself arguing with more than one person that yes, your kids should know 2 digit addition by the time they graduated high school. One of the moms actually said, "Why?" The general consensus of that group was they will learn it when they need it.

I met someone not too long ago who had their first grader work (completely) independently while both parents work. They are self employed so he's not alone, but they are busy with their business while he was there with a stack of R&S or something. I don't even know how that's possible. How can you self direct if you can barely read?!! That was one of the few times I've been rendered speechless when discussing homeschooling.

I'm on a Facebook group that not infrequently gets new-to-homeschooling parents looking for an all-in-one computer-based/online curriculum that will occupy their 5yo kindergartener for 6+ hours a day while they work. Oh, and if they could get it for free that would be great too.

And I've had parents ask me if I know of a not-school program that they could send their kids to all day and still be homeschoolers. Preferably a church doing this as volunteers, so no fees. Like, free daytime babysitting for elementary kids, but not school.

I have three kids that spend hours every day interest-led-talking-my-ear-off, and that's on top of regular assigned work and instruction. I'm not the person to ask about hands-off anything at this stage.

• Like 10

You know what this reminds me of? Carol on The Walking Dead, baking cookies and dressed like a PTA president, smiling sweetly, but secretly the most ruthless killer in the room. 

• Like 6

Wow.

In Florida, DE is totally free, other than the cost of books. There might be some additional fees for some courses but we haven't hit those yet.

We use it because my oldest needs more independence from me right now, and the format...fewer classes at a time, but at an accelerated rate, works better for him than a traditional high school schedule. ( he has ADHD)

He also finds it much less busy work than high school classes, which leaves him more free time.

Here in MN the state pays for everything. They'll even pay for transportation if the student can't afford it. I totally plan to take advantage of it when dd's old enough if it's something she wants to do.