Menu

CVS introduces generic epinephrine autoinjector

mellifera33

Here is their front page with the info. It's actually a generic version of Adrenaclick, but at $109.99 for a 2-pack, it's much less expensive than the Epipen. If you can get your allergist to prescribe it--mine won't because he's bought and sold by Mylan  Epipen is the industry standard and everyone knows how to use it.  :laugh:

• Like 1

Here is their front page with the info. It's actually a generic version of Adrenaclick, but at $109.99 for a 2-pack, it's much less expensive than the Epipen. If you can get your allergist to prescribe it--mine won't because he's bought and sold by Mylan  Epipen is the industry standard and everyone knows how to use it.  :laugh:

Er..I would demand my allergist prescribe it for you or have your records transferred to your new allergist.

You do not work for him, he works for you.

• Like 2

Your regular pediatrician or primary care doc can prescribe it. You don't need to have it prescribed by an Allergist. I prefer to prescribe the Epi-Pen because it is what people in schools are trained for. I would advocate that should change but I would hate to have a kid's health effected by seconds lost if someone can't figure out how to open the generic version. Yes, it's fairly simple but people panic in an emergency. I'm not worried about parents figuring it out as much as I am by someone in a school or community setting who panics because they know one kind and haven't seen the other kind. 

However, I understand that the Epi-Pen is often prohibitively expensive. I say that as a pediatrician and a parent of a kid with a food allergy.  I usually have people find out how much the Epi-Pen is with their insurance. For me, the Epi-Pen two pack is just over $100 (with the co-pay coupon that the company offers). So I prefer to get the Epi-Pen. If the Epi-Pen is too expensive I'm happy to prescribe the generic version. I've also had some people get one name-brand Epi-Pen for the school and then get the generics to be the ones they carry themselves. 

• Like 1

I received a letter just yesterday from my insurance company stating that the Epi-Pen is no longer on their preferred drug list.  This is after 14 years of paying for it without any issues.  I'm glad to see that we may have an alternative.