Menu

What's different between 1st & 2nd ddition of First Langauge Lessons

mathmarm

The first edition contains what is now FLL 1 and FLL 2. It's a smaller book, so the formatting is just a tad more scrunched. The content is the same, or at least very minimally changed.

I got a used copy of the first edition on Amazon for $5 and have used it for the past two years. DS likes it, I like it. Good cheap way to start grammar!

The first edition contains what is now FLL 1 and FLL 2. It's a smaller book, so the formatting is just a tad more scrunched. The content is the same, or at least very minimally changed.

^ agreeing with Carrie. Also, if I remember correctly, the second edition has fewer copywork and dictation exercises, because the assumption is that the child might also be doing Writing With Ease 1 and 2 (which has scads of copywork and dictation.)  I also think the artwork for picture study pages was changed as well (first edition has black and white pencil drawings).

I have the first edition (FFL1 and 2 combined in one vol.) and have used it with all my children so far. It is my primary source for grammar for first and second grades (we have also used FLL2 in third grade, depends on the child).  I review or condense/combine lessons as needed based on the child.  It lays down a very easy to get done base for future language studies. 

Either edition would be fine.  I prefer the first edition simply because I have it sitting on the shelf (and have happy memories of using this book with 4+ children...). :)

Edited by Zoo Keeper

^ agreeing with Carrie. Also, if I remember correctly, the second edition has fewer copywork and dictation exercises, because the assumption is that the child might also be doing Writing With Ease 1 and 2 (which has scads of copywork and dictation.)

There's a video somewhere of SWB where she says that the writing lessons in FLL 1 and 2 can be skipped if your also doing WWE. FLL was written first, so that's why there are writing lessons even in there.

So, we skip the narrations, copywork, and dictation portions and only do the GRAMMAR lessons, though I do point out the grammar in the copywork we do do.

Edited by carriede