Menu

If you still use checks, where do you purchase them from?

Just Kate

We still use checks occasionally, primarily for the kids' school (tiny school, doesn't have online payments available). I just realized today that I am almost out, so isn't to my bank website to order more. Then I remembered that there are other websites that sale checks. And they are so much cheaper. But does it matter? Do I need to order my checks from my bank???

We get them free from our credit union. We just go online and order more and they arrive in a few days. I can't imagine ordering them from somewhere else is faster. 

I use quite a lot of checks. The piano teacher, the ballet school, our dentist and orthodontist don't take debit or credit cards. 

I used to do all those mail order specials because I liked having pictures on my checks.  But to the cheap prices are only for new customers, once I had been through most of the companies I switched to Sam's or Costco which was actually less hassle but I didn't know about them at the time.

We get them free from our credit union. We just go online and order more and they arrive in a few days. I can't imagine ordering them from somewhere else is faster. 

I use quite a lot of checks. The piano teacher, the ballet school, our dentist and orthodontist don't take debit or credit cards. 

What do they charge for them?  In my experiences whatever the bank recommended or used was a lot more expensive than elsewhere.

Odd. When the 5th to last check is presented the bank sends you a new chequebook and charges you a small fee. We don't get our cheques returned after use - in US TV programmes they do - is that real?

It may be a service some banks offer, probably for a fee. I've never had mine returned. The bank does however allow me to download a digital image of the cancelled check.

Edited by maize

Odd. When the 5th to last check is presented the bank sends you a new chequebook and charges you a small fee. We don't get our cheques returned after use - in US TV programmes they do - is that real?

They no longer return them.  You can often access them through your account on-line though.  If not you can order a copy.  I believe they scan them and keep a copy that way. 

Never heard of a bank sending you new checks automatically.  Some do offer free checks (that you have to tell them you need/want) although usually they have some other requirement like a minimum deposit amount (although not necessarily, sometimes free is actually free).

• Like 1

I use checks for most things, and I purchase them directly from our bank with a phone call.  I know they are more expensive that way, but it's not a lot and it's convenient.  But I have used the services you see in the Sunday paper ads section (can't remember their name - I think "Current") and I've been satisfied with them also.

On another note, US TV programs aren't usually completely realistic.

That was my assumption but it seemed an odd detail to make up - probably was only in older stuff as well now I think about it. You generally expect domestic details to be accurate but other stuff not so much.

I can't see my bank allowing the use of cheques they didn't issue themselves but I don't use cheques much now anyway so maybe I am wrong.

Edited by kiwik