Menu

Math Spine with RS supplement

happynurse

My almost-5-year-old kiddo was doing fairly well with Rightstart A at the end of the summer...until September when I had a baby. At that point, we continued with phonics, but Rightstart has been on the back burner. I learned very quickly that RS did not work when my two year old was around, despite my best efforts. Throw in a new baby and, well, you get the idea.

Since I already own Rightstart A & B (2nd ed.), I'd like to continue to incorporate it in some way, but using an easier-to-implement math as our kindergarten spine (this will be for the fall when we're doing kindy). I'd appreciate any suggestions on how I might go about this and what curricula you'd suggest. 

Thanks a bunch!

How comfortable are you with the Right Start methods yourself?  I'm unclear if you have taught it before or if this is your first time through. If you really want a formal math curiculum, then I think Math Mammoth 1 could be a suitable spine.  Mari. a uses a similar approach to math, though with less explicit instruction about when and how to use the manipulatives, so you'd have to know when to add them in.  Either way, it is an inexpensive, thorough math program.  Just be warned it contains WAY too many problems for some students.  You have to be comfortable assigning only some of the problems or you risk wearing your child out with repetition! (I learned this the hard way!)

Or, if I may be so bold, consider teaching yourself the RS methods, and then casually teaching them to your child while you play as many of the games from the RS manual as possible.  Hindsight being what it is, this is the approach I would have taken with myself...  As many math games and "mom instruction" as possible throughout kindy and the first part of 1st, moving to RS B/C for the end of 1st and 2nd, and then starting Beast Academy in 3rd.  Most kids don't need 3 solid years of addition and subtraction, and Beast does such a good job with multiplication and division (all topic, really!), that I would take a more relaxed approach in K-2...  Just some thoughts from someone who has also started with RS.

Heather

• Like 2

Also, there is an app for the RS Abacus on the ipad, if that would possibly help with the 2-year-old factor.  Or maybe buy him/her their own abacus?  That's what I did when mine were small.  One for the K'er, one for the 2 yo. :)

Great advice, Heather! Thank you. This is my first time homeschooling and my first time using RS. I love it in theory, but putting it into practice was a little harder. I am mathematically proficient, but really like the hand-holding. I am a pretty linear thinker, and sometimes out-of-the-box is tough for me. I think that is why I am attracted to programs like RS and Beast Academy, because I don't do too well with abstract concepts when it comes to math! I want my son to have more exposure to that than I had.

I'll take a look at Math Mammoth. I've seen it mentioned quite often here on the boards. Would you say MM1 is appropriate for a 5 year old? He's pretty sharp and didn't have any trouble with RS concepts. Thank you, again!

Mm1 is conceptually fine for a bright, eager 5 yo. Some kids will have trouble with the layout though. The pages are kind of dense and there isn't tons of space for 5 yo sized numbers. It would certainly make your life easier going forward if you could use mm instead of right start. It is cheap enough to give it a shot I'd say. If you are willing to scribe or use a whiteboard it would probably make it a bit easier for your child to get into a groove with it.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I am VERY MUCH in the same position.  I have RS A and B. I have a 4, 5, and 6yo boys and then a 10 month old girl.  RS is difficult for me to get done.  Part of it is that it simply isn't very open and go for me.  My oldest DS recently asked me for more worksheets like he did in K (we did Singapore essentials).  I was looking at MM, but unsure if I want to totally drop RS.  Although I think I would personally like it better and I think it would get done.  Not easy decisions!! Hah!

• Like 1

I am VERY MUCH in the same position.  I have RS A and B. I have a 4, 5, and 6yo boys and then a 10 month old girl.  RS is difficult for me to get done.  Part of it is that it simply isn't very open and go for me.  My oldest DS recently asked me for more worksheets like he did in K (we did Singapore essentials).  I was looking at MM, but unsure if I want to totally drop RS.  Although I think I would personally like it better and I think it would get done.  Not easy decisions!! Hah!

I ended up going with Singapore Essentials for K. My son seems to like this style much better. Hopefully with two more kiddos coming up I'll be able to get some use out of RS. Good luck to you! I hate making math decisions. HA!