Menu

If you buy your cell phones on ebay?

indigomama

We only bought one phone on eBay so I don't have a favorite seller. However, my niece buys them all the time and I talked to her before buying that one. She said you need to know the going price of the phone both new and used, and if the price seems too good to be true it probably is. Also, with anything I buy on eBay I look at the seller's ratings and reviews. I allow for a few bad ones (disgruntled customer or seller made an honest mistake) but look for an overall good score with positive comments.

• Like 3

If you Search, possibly you will come up with some previous threads on WTM about this. Actually, I now prefer to buy from eBay Sellers and I buy a lot more (with the exception of books) on eBay now.  There are tons of reputable Sellers on eBay.  If  buying a used phone (anywhere), I would want a guarantee that it is not "hot" (stolen), and has never been in water and that it will work on the network you want to use it on, without any issues, or that you can return it to the Seller,for a full refund. I would also want them to guarantee that the Display is not cracked or anything.  I've won 3  "INCOMPLETE" laptops, including the one I am using to write this, from an eBay Seller in PA.  We bought one of the 3 Refurbished laptops from Blair Technology Group on eBay. I've bought a few books and lots of little things from eBay Sellers. We bought our Timeshare Rental in Orlando on eBay.   Check out the model of the phone you want to buy,  check out the Seller (I am especially interested in reading the recent feedbacks, whether it is on eBay or on Amazon) and READ THE FINE PRINT.

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 2

We've bought a few phones from eBay sellers and we have not had an issue so far.  You need to decide if you want new or used (we've purchased both).  If you are O.K. with used, then it is MUCH more challenging to sort through the details to ensure it all meets your needs.  If you know what you want, take your time and ensure you are getting exactly what you want from a seller that will not stick you with a problem.

Note that SIM cards CANNOT be reused if they have EVER been activated.  As such, you may want to get a new SIM from your new cellular provider.  (My provider will provide a new SIM for free if I am bringing a phone from a different provider.

• Like 1

Hello,

We are looking at switching from Verizon to Ting. Both, Dh and I, need to get new phones. If you buy your unlocked iphones on ebay, could you please tell me who you buy from?

I'm a little nervous buying on ebay, but they have better deals.

Thanks!

I just bought three iphones on eBay this Christmas.  All were fabulous deals.  I paid less than almost everyone else (I saved those listings to show my husband one of my small talents).

Here's what you do.  You find someone who is selling a like-new phone in the configuration you want, and you buy if possible from someone whose listing ends at an odd time.  I bought two that ended on Tuesday mornings, and one as an illustration for my extended family that ended on Christmas night (they watched the sale with me). 

One was a brand new replacement iphone 6 that someone decided to sell rather than use, one was from a biker dude who sold biker stuff but was selling his wife's almost unused phone that was perfect and had always been in a case (I got the case too!) , and one was used for 6 months until the person got a larger one.  I ask some questions if it looks dishonest.  I look at every single photo closely and read every word of the listing, and look at the feedback to see what the person sells,and whether he has 100% positive feedback. 

Don't buy anything that doesn't look perfect, like it just came out of the box.  Don't buy from resellers, because you could get a hard-used one.  Now is a good time to buy because 1) people don't have a lot of money in January and 2) everyone just upgraded phones at Christmas.

I do this stuff for fun and am an ebay seller (of other stuff) too.    If you want to PM me what you are looking for, I will search it out on eBay and send you the listings I would be pouncing on, and you can see if you found the same ones, and see what happens.  I use a sniping service to bid so I don't have to be sitting there. 

I had great experiences and all three phones are working perfectly.  I paid under $300 for one, slightly more for the others.   

• Like 2

Thank you for a detailed explanation! I'll send you a PM :)

I just bought three iphones on eBay this Christmas.  All were fabulous deals.  I paid less than almost everyone else (I saved those listings to show my husband one of my small talents).

Here's what you do.  You find someone who is selling a like-new phone in the configuration you want, and you buy if possible from someone whose listing ends at an odd time.  I bought two that ended on Tuesday mornings, and one as an illustration for my extended family that ended on Christmas night (they watched the sale with me). 

One was a brand new replacement iphone 6 that someone decided to sell rather than use, one was from a biker dude who sold biker stuff but was selling his wife's almost unused phone that was perfect and had always been in a case (I got the case too!) , and one was used for 6 months until the person got a larger one.  I ask some questions if it looks dishonest.  I look at every single photo closely and read every word of the listing, and look at the feedback to see what the person sells,and whether he has 100% positive feedback. 

Don't buy anything that doesn't look perfect, like it just came out of the box.  Don't buy from resellers, because you could get a hard-used one.  Now is a good time to buy because 1) people don't have a lot of money in January and 2) everyone just upgraded phones at Christmas.

I do this stuff for fun and am an ebay seller (of other stuff) too.    If you want to PM me what you are looking for, I will search it out on eBay and send you the listings I would be pouncing on, and you can see if you found the same ones, and see what happens.  I use a sniping service to bid so I don't have to be sitting there. 

I had great experiences and all three phones are working perfectly.  I paid under $300 for one, slightly more for the others.   

Just a warning, new in box phones could be stolen. Make sure to check the seller rating. An identify thief recently used my husband's info to buy several (6 or 7) new iPhone 6+s and a couple iPads. ATT sold them to the guy despite the flag on our credit and we didn't know until the bills started arriving a month later. He attempted the same thing at Sprint, but Sprint actually checked our credit. Whoever bought those phones probably didn't have any trouble at first as they were genuine phones, however once we alerted ATT to the fraud, those phones became useless.

• Like 1

Just a warning, new in box phones could be stolen. Make sure to check the seller rating. An identify thief recently used my husband's info to buy several (6 or 7) new iPhone 6+s and a couple iPads. ATT sold them to the guy despite the flag on our credit and we didn't know until the bills started arriving a month later. He attempted the same thing at Sprint, but Sprint actually checked our credit. Whoever bought those phones probably didn't have any trouble at first as they were genuine phones, however once we alerted ATT to the fraud, those phones became useless.

That's awful! I'm so sorry that happened to you guys.

• Like 2

Follow on:   One thing I like VERY much, about the eBay Seller I've won 3 "INCOMPLETE" laptops from is that they post photos of the laptop and the  the BIOS screen(s), and show their test results and observations, and the Dell Service tag of the individual unit. I know exactly what I am bidding on, before I consider bidding on it.  I like that FAR better than a   "Generic" listing from a seller that has multiple units and says that the photo(s) is not that of the individual unit you will receive.  I suggest looking for Sellers who show the actual information for the actual phone you are considering bidding on or purchasing with "Buy it Now".  

• Like 2