Menu

What's with the ads?

Noreen Claire

I have no willpower!

Example #1: I joined the #gameschoolchallenge from the My Little Poppies blog in order to get myself playing games with my kids more often. (I'm not a game player by nature.) Seeing all the posts by others in the facebook group, I ended up ordering a whole cart full of new games from Amazon! We haven't even played all the games we already own...

Example #2:  I joined the Food In Jars Mastery Challenge through the Food In Jars blog because I barely canned anything last year and wanted something to spur me on this year. After seeing all the posts by others in that facebook group I just ordered a case of Meyer lemons, with plans to make several different batches of marmalade!

I must not join any more challenges... I must not join any more challenges... I must not join any more challenges...

Anyone else have my specific problem? How do you talk yourself out of purchases like this?

• Like 4

Anyone else have my specific problem? How do you talk yourself out of purchases like this?

Put them on the wish list. Or put them in the cart but don't check out. Check camelcamelcamel first and don't buy until they hit a 'low' in price (some things linger in my wish list or cart "for later" for years).

ETA: don't set up alerts with camelcamelcamel. Just occasionally check it if you're bored.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 5

I do this too. Not the challenge part, but "oh that looks so neat, I must buy that for the kids!" and then poof- it's at my doorstep two days later where it sits in the box then for six weeks. My only solution is banning myself from Amazon for a month. I have had some success with luuknam's suggestion above as well- just adding it to the cart. The problem there is when my husband goes to order something, he just orders it all and poof- it still ends up at my door! 

• Like 1

Well, if it makes you feel any better I organized our game shelves last week and put all of the games we have never played on one shelf. There were 76. My goal this year is to learn to play half of them.

Also, I just bought apples to apples big picture even though I said I wouldn't because my mom has it (she lives 10 hours away but the kids love playing it when we visit).

Clearly, I have a problem.

• Like 1

Check camelcamelcamel first and don't buy until they hit a 'low' in price (some things linger in my wish list or cart "for later" for years).

ETA: don't set up alerts with camelcamelcamel. Just occasionally check it if you're bored.

I've never heard of this before? Off to check it out...

The problem there is when my husband goes to order something, he just orders it all and poof- it still ends up at my door! 

My husband probably wouldn't buy it, but he would ask me why I want it. That might be a good way of keeping myself from buying it!

Clearly, I have a problem.

Right there with you!

I put *allthethings* in my cart, and leave them there for a while. If we decide to buy something else in the meantime, we move the things into the "saved for later" portion of the cart. 

After a few months, the thing is either purchased or deleted from the saved for later portion of the cart, or moved to a wishlist.

But DH is the one to try to talk me out of buying things I actually DO need, so he's not one to just buy everything I've put in the cart.

For the games, I am going to suggest going through and organizing all the games you have before your new lot gets here.  Go through them and make sure everything has all it's pieces, parts, cards etc, and that everything is nicely packed away in the boxes.  Then, when the games get there, lay everything out and decide which ones between what you have and what you just ordered you are sure you will never play.  Maybe you have some that your kids have outgrown, or you ordered a new one that you think your kids might like but you know you don't enjoy.  Get rid of those right off the bat.

Then, plan ahead to actually do the challenge.  Decide which evening is your "family game night" each week.  And plan a whole evening of it.  Make snacks/dinner relate to the game.  Like if the game is Apples to Apples, maybe you have pork chops and apple sauce for dinner, with apple pie for dessert.  Maybe for monopoly, you make cookies and decorate them like the property cards.  Or whatever, you get the idea.  Get your kids in on it (because they won't let you forget or wriggle out of it. lol) by letting them pick the games ahead of time.  So maybe you sit everyone down and say "game night is going to be every Friday evening.  Here are the games, Child A, which game do you want to play tomorrow?  Child B, what game do you want to play next Friday?  Child C, which game the Friday after that?"  And then mark it down on the calandar with them.  If the kids are older, maybe have them come up with/make the snacks. 

• Like 1

One other suggestion would be to try out new games and vote on them.  So, however often you decide, you pick a game you have never played before.  When you are done, you take a family vote.  If you like it you keep it, if you don't like it you get rid of it right away.  And, if you get like halfway into a game and everyone's obviously lost interest, it's totally ok to just stop and put it away. 

Also don't forget card and dice games like yatzee or spoons lol.  In fact, I have yet to meet a person who doesn't like playing spoons.  So maybe start with that so that the first game night is something everyone has fun with.