Menu

Is anyone familiar with Boston public transportation?

Daria

DS is flying up to Boston on Friday morning to visit a college, and then to go skiing with my brother.  He's a kid with a lot of public transportation experience, but not in Boston, so I thought I would ask here.

He needs to get off the plane at Logan, and ride the subway to South Station, and then catch a commuter train. If all goes well, he's got about 2.5 hours between when he's supposed to get off the plane to when he boards the commuter train.  I'm figuring this should be enough?

The MBTA says the trip will cost $10.  Will that all be on one ticket? Or are there separate tickets for the subway and commuter rail?  Can he buy the tickets at Logan with cash?

I'm assuming South Station is like any big city train station, they'll have a board listing which trains are on which platforms, and he can just look there or ask at an information desk?

Is there anything else I should be asking?

In a worst case scenario, he can Uber from the airport or from South Station, but it's super expensive, so I'd rather he made it to the train, but we do have a back up plan if the plane is very late.  

DS is flying up to Boston on Friday morning to visit a college, and then to go skiing with my brother.  He's a kid with a lot of public transportation experience, but not in Boston, so I thought I would ask here.

He needs to get off the plane at Logan, and ride the subway to South Station, and then catch a commuter train. If all goes well, he's got about 2.5 hours between when he's supposed to get off the plane to when he boards the commuter train.  I'm figuring this should be enough?

If there are no airline delays and he doesn't have any checked luggage, he should make it. However, if the plane should be late getting in, as is so often the case these days, it will be too tight. Also depends on which terminal his plane comes into and how long it takes him to get to the subway. If I recall correctly, he'll have to take an airport bus to get to the subway stop. Frankly, I would have him get a cab from Logan to South Station.

The MBTA says the trip will cost $10.  Will that all be on one ticket? Or are there separate tickets for the subway and commuter rail?  Can he buy the tickets at Logan with cash? There are separate tickets. Yes to buying the ticket with cash - once he gets to the subway.

I'm assuming South Station is like any big city train station, they'll have a board listing which trains are on which platforms, and he can just look there or ask at an information desk?

Yes, to a big board listing train details.

Is there anything else I should be asking?

In a worst case scenario, he can Uber from the airport or from South Station, but it's super expensive, so I'd rather he made it to the train, but we do have a back up plan if the plane is very late.  

Thanks!  

I read a little more closely, and it looks like actually the bus that goes from the airport to the subway goes to South Station, so it's a bus (free) and then the commuter rail.  The bus seems to run every 10 minutes, so hopefully he'll be fine.  He's not checking luggage so I'm hoping if he's off the plane on time at 8:30, he should be able to be on the bus by 9:30, which gives him an hour to figure out the station, before his train leaves at 11:00.  

Here's another question -- I don't have any quart sized ziplocs.  All he's bringing is a travel toothpaste and a little travel lotion.  Can I put them in a sandwich sized ziploc?  I'm hoping the rule isn't actually "everything in a quart sized ziploc" but really "quart sized or smaller".  

Depending on the time of day, the commuters only run on the hour - something worth checking on (you probably already have). They do run more frequently during M-F 9-5. (And for your 2.5 hour window, it also depends on how far out of the city he's going on the commuter; some of them go way out.)

The bus from the airport is well marked and convenient.

Both ends of rush hour are significant, on all forms of transit.

He just needs to be sure to get on the correct bus at the airport. There are other buses that shuttle people to the Airport subway station, but going that way to get to South Station is just ridiculous.

He should have time to buy his commuter rail ticket at South Station, but if he is pressed for time, he should also be able to get on the train, and pay cash for his fare when the ticket guy comes through the train car. There is sometimes a small surcharge for that option.

A sandwich bag is fine for his stuff if it fits.