Menu

Mystery of the day: returned to sender - UPDATED #54

Farrar

I looked up the Federal Correctional Facility on the envelope. You can send a generic email to the Bureau of Corrections apparently. I was like, okay... I could... But then I started to feel funny about it. I mean, maybe they reject mail from certain addresses. Maybe the person is homeless and is just stealing a random, nearby address to get mail through the system? Or maybe they're on the run and that's all there is to it. The slew of cards reminded me a little of like - remember those girls in high school who had to make a huge show of Valentine's and their birthday and walk around with like a million different balloons and cards and a teddy bear and all that all day? Just, everything over the top cute? It reminded me of that - like, I will now shower you with cards. So maybe it's not a code. And honestly, I'm not super keen to turn someone into the police when I have zero idea what's going on...

So are shoes a common code for something??  I got a bizarre voice mail one time from some guy (didn't catch his name) for someone called "Star" and the guy was SUPER emphatic to bring boots at visitation that Saturday.  That number tried back several times.  I called the prison and said I'd had that phone number for 15 years and I had no idea who he was or who Star was, or why he wanted boots so badly.  It was all...weird.  Made me think of a weird booty call, honestly.   :huh:

• Like 3

So... another prison letter!

This time it was a large package. And the prisoner in question is apparently in federal prison in another state now.

I know, I know. But we were curious.

It was a pile of like 25 or so greeting cards. All of them blank. All of them with a code scrawled on the envelope. D2 - No Blank Greeting Cards. Just card after Hallmark Card. Sometimes two per envelope. Blank.

There was one card with that same bubbly, girly handwriting. It had a message of love that was not suitable to convey here.

So... I'm thinking the theory that this is someone trying to send some sort of code and getting foiled is right. And they're using our address. So weird.

ETA: Oh, yeah... so... how does one get in touch with the prison and say, by the way, don't know if you care, but...

And... they're perfectly good, very generic cards. It seems weird to throw them out. Should I... what? Donate them to the thrift store? Use them??? I have no idea.

Actually, I would give it all to the sheriff. If it is an attempt by a prisoner to communicate in incognito, fingerprints would help the warden identify the culprit. The sheriff can pursue it, forward it to the warden, or file 13 if uninterested. But I would not assume I can just get rid of it.

• Like 7

Actually, I would give it all to the sheriff. If it is an attempt by a prisoner to communicate in incognito, fingerprints would help the warden identify the culprit. The sheriff can pursue it, forward it to the warden, or file 13 if uninterested. But I would not assume I can just get rid of it.

No sheriff here, just the police chief. Now that this person is in federal prison, it seems like the local police wouldn't be interested though? And wouldn't have any relationship with a prison in another state.

So... another prison letter!

This time it was a large package. And the prisoner in question is apparently in federal prison in another state now.

I know, I know. But we were curious.

It was a pile of like 25 or so greeting cards. All of them blank. All of them with a code scrawled on the envelope. D2 - No Blank Greeting Cards. Just card after Hallmark Card. Sometimes two per envelope. Blank.

There was one card with that same bubbly, girly handwriting. It had a message of love that was not suitable to convey here.

So... I'm thinking the theory that this is someone trying to send some sort of code and getting foiled is right. And they're using our address. So weird.

ETA: Oh, yeah... so... how does one get in touch with the prison and say, by the way, don't know if you care, but...

And... they're perfectly good, very generic cards. It seems weird to throw them out. Should I... what? Donate them to the thrift store? Use them??? I have no idea.

I would take the package down to the police station and explain.  They can throw them out or contact the prison or whatever.  They would also know most likely if there is a hidden meaning or if they are drug infused or whatever. 

• Like 7

My DH used to be a prison guard. I suspect you might have received a coded message that wasn't meant for you. Meaning, an inmate was sending a message to a friend/fellow gang member, with coded instructions about some criminal activity they wanted the intended receiver (who isn't you,) to follow through with. If we received that, DH would have us deliver it to the police right away.

Either that or it's clue to where the loot from the last heist was stashed.

• Like 2

No sheriff here, just the police chief. Now that this person is in federal prison, it seems like the local police wouldn't be interested though? And wouldn't have any relationship with a prison in another state.

The Corrections Officer I know says to contact the prison and/or mail it back to the prison. The prison staff would be the ones to investigate it.

There should be a main number that you can look up online. Call that number and explain the situation to the person who answers. They'll tell you what to do next.

• Like 5

I just can't imagine why the local police would care. You guys understand that the package was entirely opened and searched by the prison, right? Like, this second one definitely was. Every single card had been opened and every envelope had the code D2 on it and the first one explained that it blank cards were not allowed.

I could see that the prison *might* care. But maybe not. They already saw absolutely everything that was inside. The fact that the return address was fraudulent seems slightly... extra.

• Like 1

I'm not really concerned... and... more information! Just glancing at the envelopes, a few of them have a different return address (same sender) that's a few blocks away. I'm starting to think she just uses random alias addresses - perhaps so that there's no written record of where she actually lives. And perhaps in part because she also has no permanent address.

• Like 1

This is messed up of me, I'm sure, but one of the things I'm especially intrigued by is the gender of everyone involved. Some of the cards are for a guy - like specifically "to the best guy" kind of message. The only one with writing - the one with the bad words - is signed "wifey" and it's one of the "guy" ones, but the name of the recipient is female. All these things are definitely possible, but they also tell a story for sure.

If this handwriting was done by a person raised male, I am seriously beyond shocked. It's like this example of "girly" handwriting I found on the internets, only not as neat and even more whatever trait you'd call this handwriting. And it's super consistent throughout. I have never known a single man who had handwriting in this style.

http://imgur.com/zFlTS

• Like 1

If this handwriting was done by a person raised male, I am seriously beyond shocked. It's like this example of "girly" handwriting I found on the internets, only not as neat and even more whatever trait you'd call this handwriting. And it's super consistent throughout. I have never known a single man who had handwriting in this style.

WHY are there so many women who write that way?  Not that there's anything wrong with it, just why did that become a very common handwriting style?  Somebody probably actually knows the answer to that.

• Like 3

It's probably an intentional writing style rather than how that person normally writes.

That doesn't mean it isn't a female.  Just that.....prisoners don't generally fit anything we think of as typical. 

I'd be shocked. Like, this would have to be some serious devotion to writing in another font. I like to play around with changing my handwriting, but there's no way I could sustain the consistency of this writing.

• Like 3

My 26 year old brother has handwriting very similar to that. I know he's not in prison though and I'm pretty sure he's not sending packages to prison.
  • Like 2

WHY are there so many women who write that way? Not that there's anything wrong with it, just why did that become a very common handwriting style? Somebody probably actually knows the answer to that.

I desperately wanted to write like that when I was in middle school but never could figure out how.
  • Like 2

I'm not really concerned... and... more information! Just glancing at the envelopes, a few of them have a different return address (same sender) that's a few blocks away. I'm starting to think she just uses random alias addresses - perhaps so that there's no written record of where she actually lives. And perhaps in part because she also has no permanent address.

Do you think maybe she tries to intercept the mail at the incorrect address? Maybe the original sender lives near you but doesn't want the mail going to her house for some reason so is using fake nearby addresses.

WHY are there so many women who write that way?  Not that there's anything wrong with it, just why did that become a very common handwriting style?  Somebody probably actually knows the answer to that.

I don't know, but it's really baffled me to ages, being a female person without that handwriting.

You don't have hours and hours a day to practice either.  And if there is something going on, the person would have some very very strong motivation to ensure they hide everything they can from the guards.  It's even possible the actual formation of the letters themselves is a code. 

The person with this handwriting is the person not in prison. That's clear from this package for sure. I'm very unclear if the recipient was male or female. This federal prison seems to be a complex that includes both a medium security women's prison and a max security men's prison.

Do you think maybe she tries to intercept the mail at the incorrect address? Maybe the original sender lives near you but doesn't want the mail going to her house for some reason so is using fake nearby addresses.

There's no way to intercept mail that goes into a mailslot directly into our house unless the postal works are in on it too (which is possible, I guess... but if they are, it's not our regular carrier who delivered both things). And this was returned to sender mail. It never made it to the prisoner because it violated rules against unsigned cards apparently.

• Like 1

I think the sender is using your address as the return address for anonymity, either because

A. she has no return address, or doesn't want the people she's living with to know she's sending things to a prison (in case they get returned)

or

B. the things she's sending are some sort of criminal conspiracy or code and she doesn't want her actual address (and thus her identity) to be connected to the crime, should it be discovered.

• Like 2

I think the sender is using your address as the return address for anonymity, either because

A. she has no return address, or doesn't want the people she's living with to know she's sending things to a prison (in case they get returned)

or

B. the things she's sending are some sort of criminal conspiracy or code and she doesn't want her actual address (and thus her identity) to be connected to the crime, should it be discovered.

It may be this and she is a minor.  Somehow it seems to me something an infatuated teen/tween would do. I would definitely turn it over to someone so there is a paper trail for future problems.

• Like 4

This is messed up of me, I'm sure, but one of the things I'm especially intrigued by is the gender of everyone involved. Some of the cards are for a guy - like specifically "to the best guy" kind of message. The only one with writing - the one with the bad words - is signed "wifey" and it's one of the "guy" ones, but the name of the recipient is female. All these things are definitely possible, but they also tell a story for sure.

Is it one of those names that could be male but isn't usually anymore? Like Kelly, Beverly, Leslie, Ashley, etc.

• Like 1

You can get packages through your mail slot?

If it were a box, could that come through?  Because maybe whoever has been doing this for a while, but usually sends boxes and is able to get those from your porch or whatever?

Yeah, it's a thick slot so this was a stack of cards in an oversized envelope and he put it through. He knocks and leaves boxes on the stoop. But we're always home. It's rare that a box sits. So we'd be a cruddy choice for a pick up house. There are hundreds of houses around us where everyone works during the day. It would be a strange choice indeed to use our address when others are so much better.

These cards were originally sent to the prison as individual envelopes though. I don't think the sender anticipated getting them back at all, much less in one big package.

Also, y'all realize that the prison already saw them, right? Like, the only information they don't have is that this isn't actually this person's address.

• Like 2

It may be this and she is a minor.  Somehow it seems to me something an infatuated teen/tween would do. I would definitely turn it over to someone so there is a paper trail for future problems.

Something about the tone seems so young to me, yeah. I mean, who else sends that many cards!?! Seems very teenagerish.