Menu

Congressional Award Discussion (questions, updates, etc)

• 1 month later...

Regarding advisors...

My teen chose a mentor she was already working with on other projects. It's been nice to have someone that knows her and her goals and has a long-term connection with her. Some teens who didn't already have mentors have met with various people in the community before choosing. I know some parents on this thread have teens that have taken that approach.

• Like 1

My neighbor is an advisor to both my dds. She is a retired administrator and an active volunteer.  

My dd(16) continues to volunteer at the library and is applying again at the Humane Society (very competitive). She hopes to do a day exploration of the local dog training facilities in our area this summer.  

My dd (14) volunteers at our local hospital, she plans to transfer from surgery outpatient desk to maternity this summer.  The hospital has been a great learning opportunity for my dd, however now after almost a year, she is wanting more interactions with patients. She has been approached about shadowing however she is underaged.  She is intrigued about labor & delivery.

We all will be volunteering at the food bank repackaging bulk foods.  I also plan on growing foods this summer to donate.  Slow and steady here.

Best wishes SJ!

• 4 months later...

August 2018 Update

My 2 teens  are most of the way done with a bronze certificate, but they are still stuck on volunteer hours. We live semi-rural, and they are both 14. 

Question: Our family hosts a Fresh Air Fund kiddo in the summer; does the work that they do for that count? I know serving in the church nursery does not (though I don't really understand they WHY; I do know it can count for personal development). They are willing to work, but we are sort of having transportation / scheduling issues. 

If there is any doubt about whether or not something would count, my suggestion would be to check with the regional program manager.

http://congressionalaward.org/contact-us/  Scroll down to find information regarding regional program managers. My teen has found our region's program manager to be quick to respond and helpful giving direction and clarification.

• 7 months later...

Just wondering if anyone's child has reached their goal? My daughter just received confirmation of her Gold medal. She met with one of our Congressmen today for a photo op. We will be heading to Washington in June for the Gold medal ceremony.

• Like 3

On 4/5/2019 at 10:58 PM, ldkgates said:

Just wondering if anyone's child has reached their goal? My daughter just received confirmation of her Gold medal. She met with one of our Congressmen today for a photo op. We will be heading to Washington in June for the Gold medal ceremony.

DD17 met her goal of Bronze medal and then decided that she's just going to continue with Silver.  

• Like 1

CONGRATULATIONS on the gold medal!! WOooo-HOOOO!! As my ds is also nearing his completion of the gold, I understand just how much it entails. Not for the faint of heart. He just got presented both silver/bronze medals together by our Congressman which was a super cool experience. He's aiming to finish the gold by end of July to try to receive the gold medal in time for college apps by November... and then plan to attend the big ceremony in Washington DC next June. So exciting for your dd, ldkgate - congrats!

• 2 months later...

So, we attended the Gold Medal Ceremony in DC. What an awesome experience! The ceremony itself was wonderful. The staff does and excellent job making sure the kids get the recognition they deserve. There are panel discussions the kids can attend and tickets to a Nationals game. If your child is working toward the gold and you can attend the ceremony in DC it so worth it!

Edited by ldkgates
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2019 at 1:43 PM, ldkgates said:

So, we attended the Gold Medal Ceremony in DC. What an awesome experience! The ceremony itself was wonderful. The staff does and excellent job making sure the kids get the recognition they deserve. There are panel discussions the kids can attend and tickets to a Nationals game. If your child is working toward the gold and you can attend the ceremony in DC it so worth it!

Congrats!!! That is so wonderful. Tell us more about it! My son completes his gold this summer and we are planning to go to the ceremony in DC next June. Tell us all about it! Also, when did they have the dates finalized or even tentatively set? They seem to be telling me they won't know until Feb! We need to buy flights waaaaay before then - how did that work for you? Any ideas on when next year's ceremony will be?

My daughter received a letter and an email in February letting her know when the ceremony was. She had to send in a picture and write a short intro to be read at the ceremony. I believe she also requested her tickets for guests for the ceremony and Nationals game. There were also break out sessions for her to sign up for if she wished. Check in was the day before the ceremony. The kids just had to pick up their tickets and T- Shirts. They had an icebreaker with games for the kids at the same time. Nationals tickets each included a $25 voucher for food or merchandise.  

This year was the biggest awards group with 538 kids receiving their gold. They broke the group up by states into 3 different ceremonies. DD’s ceremony was the last one of the day. Actually worked well for us since they wanted a group photo. The early ceremonies had to go back for the photo. 

We did not find scheduling a flight difficult for us. Prices were pretty good. Our local Optimist Club and Power Company offered to sponsor DD’s trip. They paid for her flight and part of our accommodations. I am not sure when in June next year’s ceremony will be. Overall it was a great experience. If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them or ask DD to. Here are a few pictures from our trip. DD ended up taking her heels off because they had to walk down hill from the Capitol to the reflecting pool for a group photo. They first picture is DD at the ceremony. Second is her after the group photo with her sponsor from the power company. Be sure to like the Congressional Award Facebook page they post pictures and updates.

2A52EF91-6699-4A99-87ED-18A1117636C1.jpeg

9F55F443-F7D1-4045-B9B4-891C3628A2CE.jpeg

Edited by ldkgates
  • Like 1

that is just fantastic! i do love the bare feet! (but i did notice the heels in the first photo, so figured as much). LOL. thanks so much for sharing! 

when did your dd submit her gold record book - and do you recall how long it took to receive notification of the gold award in the mail?