Menu

Looking for 8th grade Science...Astronomy

kfeusse

My 6th grader just finished a semester primarily focused on Astronomy. I'm not much of a curriculum person - we kind of put things together ourselves.  We used a variety of materials including Crash Course Astronomy... we grabbed the RS4K text (don't recommend -it's weak) and used it for light vocabulary days, we got the Kids Discover Space bundle and used them on the go, he used his brother's college level text some....we read, but did not do additional work with, the first Hakim book. Watched all of the Cosmos. We did a variety of hands on projects and labs (moon mapping, lunar phases, built a shoebox planetarium, lots of telescope time, etc). We checked out a ton of relevant books from the library and did a research project on the Solar System, It was loads of fun!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 1

I am not sure what a neutral program means, but ds used Filippenko's Understanding the Universe through Great Courses in 8th grade.  Because he was enamored, he added a lot of supplementary books and documentaries.

ETA:  Might have been 7th grade.  Seems so long ago!

Edited by lisabees

Conceptual Academy has an Astronomy course using selected chapters from their Physical Science text. Technically it's a 9th grade course, but probably isn't an issue for an average 8th grade student. They don't have a math requirement for their courses, and you can always cut back a little if you want to make it a jr. high level course.