Menu

Is there a safe way to mark pills?

Jean in Newcastle

I have two compounded prescription medicines.  Both come in capsules with white powder in them.  There is a very slight size variation but other than that, they are nearly impossible to tell apart.  I got confused this week and don't have the same number of pills in all of my pill containers.  Is there a way to mark one of these pills with something - food safe marker possibly? that will allow me to visually keep from having a pill snafu?  One med esp. is very important to take and can cause major problems if I accidentally skip it. 

Next time you have them compounded can you ask the pharmacist to color/mark them for you in some way? You could use the other suggestions in the interim, but if the pharmacist does it there's no chance of mix up next time- that would be terrible! 

I just use a pill organizer and organize my pills for the week over the weekend. I put pill 1 in each day of the organizer, then pill 2, etc. Then I don't have to think about it every morning when I'm bleary-eyed, I just take my Monday pills and I'm done and there's no confusion. 

I take 20 pills a day.  I do organize my pills.  Something got off this week (I was distracted or interrupted or something).  Most of my pills I can sort out visually because they are different colors and shapes.  These two compounded ones are different. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 1

Next time you have them compounded can you ask the pharmacist to color/mark them for you in some way? You could use the other suggestions in the interim, but if the pharmacist does it there's no chance of mix up next time- that would be terrible! 

One of the compounded pills used to be colored pink.  The compounding pharmacy stopped doing that recently because other patients complained about the dyes.  I can ask, but I think that they do the compounding in batches that include other people and not just my pills. 

• Like 1

Maybe get some kind of liquid food coloring (vegetable juice based if you are sensitive to other colorings) and dip the tip of each capsule in it for one medication. Just lay them on a paper towel to dry then put them away.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

I would try the food safe marker around the middle where the capsule overlaps in case that little bit of liquid affects the capsule.

I think you can buy those markers in the cake decorating section of a craft store.

I just had another idea:

Can they put one of the pills in a blister pack for you? Some pharmacies offer this as an option now.

• Like 4

Thanks everyone.  Dd helped me to sort out this week's pills.  One pill is very slightly fatter than the other. but it's such a slight difference that I start to wonder if I'm imagining it!    I think (hope) that we figured it out.  It won't kill me if I double up one and miss the other but it could make me miserable.  I'm going to try the food safe marker first.  I googled and it looks like Michaels carries them. 

• Like 1

Can you tell by comparing the pills to new ones from the bottles?  I've done that before and have usually been successful. When it isn't, I compare in different lighting; sometimes there is a difference that shows up better in dimmer or brighter light.

I have two compounded prescription medicines.  Both come in capsules with white powder in them.  There is a very slight size variation but other than that, they are nearly impossible to tell apart.  I got confused this week and don't have the same number of pills in all of my pill containers.  Is there a way to mark one of these pills with something - food safe marker possibly? that will allow me to visually keep from having a pill snafu?  One med esp. is very important to take and can cause major problems if I accidentally skip it. 

I would ask the pharmacy where you get them what to do, and I would also ask them to please differentiate them in the future. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 1

Can you tell by comparing the pills to new ones from the bottles?  I've done that before and have usually been successful. When it isn't, I compare in different lighting; sometimes there is a difference that shows up better in dimmer or brighter light.

Yeah, I was looking at them with a flashlight.  And I was comparing them to the ones in the bottles.  But the clear capsules come in certain sizes.  The capsules used for each med. are very close in size.  But I think we got it sorted out for now.  I can tip out the pills from one bottle and mark them all for future weeks. 

Could you ask the compounding pharmacy to color them for you as they make them? 

ETA: Sorry, asked and answered.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

They do make those pill organizers to help avoid confusion for people taking multiple medications.

Bill

I use the organizers, Bill.  In fact, I have a big one with three different time slots per day and use all three time slots - so 21 spots for pills.  And I have a system - pick up first a.m. pill bottle and plop 7 pills one after another in the first time slot, etc.  But I got distracted while doing it - I even knew it at the time - and went - "Whoops!  Now where was I on that count?"  And OF COURSE, it had to be while doing the look-alike pills and not just the first look-alike pill bottle but the second one so now I wasn't sure if I had put two of Look-alike A in a spot or just one. . . or what.   Any other pill would have been easy to figure out where I went wrong and to have kept going because they are made visually different partly for that reason.  It was just one of those things!  But I know that it's probably not the last time I'm going to get distracted or interrupted by someone in this house, so I want to make it easier for next time.  I can and will ask the compounding pharmacist about coloring them in some way next time I need a refill but I have to use up this bottle of unmarked pills first. 

Can you mark the bottles or pill organizers?  If you take your pills twice a day you could write am and pm then tally mark on the actual bottle with a sharpie when you take your allotted dosage for that time slot.  If that won't work maybe tally on a sticker label or piece of paper on the fridge.  This again may require marking the bottle or pill organizer. You could paint a different colored dot with fingernail polish on each pill bottle, and have corresponding dots on paper posted to your fridge.  Just tally next to the appropriate dot when you take your pills.

Eta: fixing awkward wording

Edited by Excelsior! Academy

Can you mark the bottles or pill organizers?  If you take your pills twice a day you could write am and pm then tally mark on the actual bottle with a sharpie when you take your allotted dosage for that time slot.  If that won't work maybe tally on a sticker label or piece of paper on the fridge.  This again may require marking the bottle or pill organizer. You could paint a different colored dot with fingernail polish on each pill bottle, and have corresponding dots on paper posted to your fridge.  Just tally next to the appropriate dot when you take your pills.

Eta: fixing awkward wording

My pill bottles are marked on the top with AM, PM, or AM/PM in some cases, as well as if they are more than two at a time.  I do that even though the doses and times are of course on the actual bottle, for ease in distributing what is 140 pills a week (20 x 7).  Of those 140 pills, a week 126 of them have no risk of mix-up due to them being made different sizes, shapes and colors by the manufacturers.

Anyway. . . thanks for the advice everyone.  I'm off to Michael's now to see if the food safe markers will work.  If for some reason the marker color won't adhere to the capsule, then I'll come back here to try some of the other suggestions. 

I use the organizers, Bill.  In fact, I have a big one with three different time slots per day and use all three time slots - so 21 spots for pills.  And I have a system - pick up first a.m. pill bottle and plop 7 pills one after another in the first time slot, etc.  But I got distracted while doing it - I even knew it at the time - and went - "Whoops!  Now where was I on that count?"  And OF COURSE, it had to be while doing the look-alike pills and not just the first look-alike pill bottle but the second one so now I wasn't sure if I had put two of Look-alike A in a spot or just one. . . or what.   Any other pill would have been easy to figure out where I went wrong and to have kept going because they are made visually different partly for that reason.  It was just one of those things!  But I know that it's probably not the last time I'm going to get distracted or interrupted by someone in this house, so I want to make it easier for next time.  I can and will ask the compounding pharmacist about coloring them in some way next time I need a refill but I have to use up this bottle of unmarked pills first. 

Glad you got it sorted Jean. I just started taking my very first prescription (a tiny white pill) and I realize how confused I can get just taking one daily :D

Bill