Menu

How to make mastery math into spiral

visitor

Dear all,

How to make a mastery math curriculum into a spiral math program. We are now using Singapore Math and I believe he needs to do something extra for not forgetting what he had learned .

He understands new concepts very quickly but he can also forget them quickly.

I dont want to buy a new math curriculum I am very happy with Singapore Math and so is DS . Is using CWP and IP a way to make SM spiral ?

I didnt use IP before because I thought it would slow him down because SM seemed to easy for him.  

He also hates math facts and I think thats also one of the things were we have to work on.

Thanks in advanced ,

Visitor

FWIW, your task may be simpler if you think more in terms like "adding review" than "making it spiral."

Also, I thought IP was a way to make SM *harder*, at least on-level.

But yes, an idea for review would be to use IP and/or CWP a level, or perhaps a half-level, below the level you are using for SM.

• Like 2

Do you already use the Extra Practice book? Once you enter Singapore Math 2, you can also get the Tests books, which are good for review. The Intensive Practice books can be very challenging, so I wouldn't use them as review, although I love them as a supplement. I think the Extra Practice works best as worksheet review because it actually provides an overview of the concepts learned in addition to problems.

But for math, I really prefer to use games to constantly incorporate review and practice. There are game suggestions and ideas in the teacher's manual, and we also like to use computer programs for a fun supplement. I do think with Singapore it's easy to move very fast without memorizing the facts because some kids progress quickly conceptually, especially in the early years, and so spending a little extra time playing games and doing the Intensive Practice/Challenge problems rather than rushing ahead could make less review necessary further on.

• Like 2

Add Simple Solutions CC or Regular math. It does exactly what you want: allows you to continue with your preferred mastery program, but with a spiral review that prevents learning loss. It takes under 20 minutes including checking answers and making any corrections. With just a bit of training, it can be fully independent. We do ours as morning warm-up while I'm still cleaning up breakfast/chugging coffee.

Edited to add:

Adding IP/CWP won't make Singapore spiral, but will add challenge/depth, which might be good if the test/workbook is easy. Math facts are a separate issue; at some point, it will be very helpful to drill those to mastery. Are you using fact drills in the HIG? If not, you might consider adding XtraMath (its free, online) to address this issue.

Edited by fourisenough
  • Like 1

You just need to add review, which isn't the same things as making it spiral.

I would get a composition notebook and make-up 6 problems a day for him to solve on skills he's already learned.

1-Addition (to the top of his level) 

2-Subtraction (to the top of his level) 

3-Add/sub word problem (comfortable for his level)

4-Multiplication (to the top of his level)

5-Division (to the top of his level)

6-Mult/Div word problem (comfortable for his level)

By, to the top of his level, I mean if he can add/subtract 4 and 5 digit numbers with regrouping, then that is what I would write for him. If he can multiply/divide 2 or digit numbers then that is what I would write for him.

Comfortable to his level, means that the word problem should not contain the hardest calculation possible, but should require 2-steps to solve.

• Like 5

I would get a composition notebook and make-up 6 problems a day for him to solve on skills he's already learned.

By, to the top of his level, I mean if he can add/subtract 4 and 5 digit numbers with regrouping, then that is what I would write for him. If he can multiply/divide 2 or digit numbers then that is what I would write for him.

Comfortable to his level, means that the word problem should not contain the hardest calculation possible, but should require 2-steps to solve.

Thanks I really like this! I think this will help .

Edited by visitor

are you using the Standards or US edition? Standards is the edition that has review built in fairly frequently.

I am using Standards edition . But I did skip the review . Now I am not going to that. Looking back I think I did make a mistake with that.

Edited by visitor
  • Like 1

I like this idea, but it takes more work/time than most parents* have to devote, on top of actually teaching math (and all the other stuff). And, I think you'd have to add a problem in each of the following areas to really keep all math concepts fresh: measurement, geometry, data analysis, time, money, algebraic thinking, etc. That is why I really like the Simple Solutions math review books. 

*I am aware that I might just be projecting my own feelings/situation. YMMV...

• Like 1

I am using Standards edition . But I did skip the review . Now I am not going to that. Looking back I think I did make a mistake with that.

Great. So then you have a ton of review in the back-log that you can use and won't need to make or buy anything. Live and learn. I'm glad that you have something on hand that you can use now.

I like this idea, but it takes more work/time than most parents* have to devote, on top of actually teaching math (and all the other stuff). And, I think you'd have to add a problem in each of the following areas to really keep all math concepts fresh: measurement, geometry, data analysis, time, money, algebraic thinking, etc. That is why I really like the Simple Solutions math review books. 

*I am aware that I might just be projecting my own feelings/situation. YMMV...

To the bolded, I think that the OPs son is 7 so while she can add more if he's advanced to that level, it's really not always necessary to review everything, every day. Add ONE problem more to the 6 I outlined and I think that that's plenty. It's meant as a review to keep previously learned skills sharp.

The inclusion of measurement/geometry will be determined by whether or not he's covered that in his math lessons already, and to what extent. Also, if the child cooks, helps with building/crafting projects on weekly basis, then there is no need to artificially insert measurement into his math work unless it's an area that he's constantly struggling in, and if so I would be more likely to plan a whole weeks worth of lessons and exercises towards addressing it, rather than giving him problems to be struggled over or turned into rote exercises.

Most 7yos aren't doing much in the area of data analysis and I don't think that any 7yo should be expected to. All the "data analysis" that a typical 7yo would be practicing can be learned as trivially easy at 10 or 13. If an older child struggles with 1st-2nd grade level "data analysis" then their is likely a bigger problem at hand such as an LD, or the problems aren't well made and aren't worth doing.

You can give him an exercise in reading/calculating "time" each day without putting that in a worksheet. I find getting a clock and asking children to read the clock and figure out how long until daddy comes home or how long has it been since lunch is a nice way to have them practice working with time.

Like "time", "money" isn't really a math topic, but if the child can can add/subtract/multi/divide then have him do it with a decimal numbers instead of whole numbers and read the answer as Y dollars and Z cents. There isn't any need to have them practice addition, subtraction, multiplication and division every day, then have him calculate money as though it works differently. It doesn't.

The word problems do require algebraic thinking, so giving him 2 a day will have him thinking algebraically.

I don't know what all could go into daily review for a 7yo to make up the "etc". This isn't meant to be the lesson, but a review exercise.

I've seen Simple Solutions and I felt that its exclusion of some concepts that I consider key, made me dislike it. I haven't seen the CC aligned Simple Solutions though.

I would just add that if I did a scheduled review in the TB. I would skip and scheduled the WB review about halfway until the next review. Does that make sense? I also use CWP as a review in the sense that I assign a couple of those problems usually one section or two behind where we are at in the TB. I use IP as review in the sense that I just use it a book behind TB. So for example, if I were doing 3B, I would be starting 3A. I just do that every so often. I usually use that on days when I don't have time to sit down and do a lesson with him. It moves pretty quick for us.

And if this is what you are noticing, I really don't think you should use BA as a standalone. What I do is use BA a year behind SM. That serves as review and diving deeper in a topic. 

I personally do find TB/WB too easy on its own...so I use the other materials to enrich.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1