Menu

Audio book suggestions

Tammi K

I received an itunes gift card for Christmas and was told to use it for an audio book and, since I have a 10 hour flight coming up next week, this is the perfect time to get one. 

I like a variety of genre but am partial to wit.  I love to read Bill Bryson. His humor hits home with me.  I also really enjoyed The Martian- again, the snarky wit works for me. 

I love to listen to the voice Benedict Cumberbatch and David Tennant.

I'm open for suggestions.

I like David Sedaris, but be careful - you may find yourself laughing out loud on the plane.

My favorite is/was "Me Talk Pretty One Day"

I also like Sarah Vowell.  Her books aren't as laugh at loud funny as Sedaris, but still fairly light.  They tend to be more along political topics, but she isn't preachy.. it's more in a: "have you ever thought about it this way before."  kind of way.

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 2

May not be at all what you are looking for, but I'm listening to Trevor Noah's autobiography Born a Crime. He did the narration, and I have to say it's one of the most compelling audiobooks I've listened to in many months. (The audio version runs just under nine hours.)

Yes! I just started listening to this yesterday morning, and I want to tell everyone I know about it. I was hesitant to get it because I thought it would just be another celebrity/comedian memoir. But the reviews were so great and I had an audible credit to spend, so I took the chance, and I've been listening every chance I get. It's well-written and deals with heavy stuff, but it doesn't seem heavy. And, of course, he's funny.

• Like 2

I just found a promo code to get Born a Crime for free on Audible! Enter ACRIME1 at checkout (and make sure you only have the free book in your cart - I had put the book in my cart, and it added a free one as well, so I had to delete the regular book before checking out).

• Like 2

Thank you! Do you have to have a membership to get it this way?

I just found a promo code to get Born a Crime for free on Audible! Enter ACRIME1 at checkout (and make sure you only have the free book in your cart - I had put the book in my cart, and it added a free one as well, so I had to delete the regular book before checking out).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip for the free audible book.  I just got done reading it but would love to listen to him narrate it at a later point.  Am I able to "lend" my audible books to a friend or not?  I am brand new to this.

I thought the book was excellent.  Yes, I do see the reasons for warning on language and domestic violence at the end.  Still, one of the best books I have read in quite a while though.

Thanks for the tip for the free audible book.  I just got done reading it but would love to listen to him narrate it at a later point.  Am I able to "lend" my audible books to a friend or not?  I am brand new to this.

I thought the book was excellent.  Yes, I do see the reasons for warning on language and domestic violence at the end.  Still, one of the best books I have read in quite a while though.

The end was tough for me, as it is about an abusive relationship.  

I would also add a more trite warning for those with weak stomachs....if you are eating while listening and he starts talking about food, pause the book or walk away from the table.  A couple of scenes made me want to hurl.

It was an incredible book.  I highly recommend it. 

THANK YOU!

Just got my free copy.

• Like 1