Menu

History for 6th grade? SOTW or something else?

Angel in FL

And if you suggest SOTW, should we add anything to it?  She'll be 11 when we do it.  We're doing Classical Conversations (she was in private school until October) but we aren't doing it next year.  

A Child's History of the World by Calvert is also an option.   Got any other suggestions?

Thanks,

My 11yo would be highly offended if I told her to work through SOTW. In pretty sure I'd get that sarcastic tween "'Scuze me?!" face. She loved it in elementary though, and doesn't mind reading it aloud to younger siblings.

Said 11yo is doing homegrown history cobbled together from various sources. Her primary spine is The Young Oxford History of Britain and Ireland. Some other options are the K12 published History Odyssey books and the Genevieve Foster World of ____ books.

I think that SOTW can be a good option for middle school--but I think the last two volumes are better for that age.  The first two volumes *could* be a little "simple" in tone for a middle schooler. ( for that same reason, I wouldn't use CHOW with 99.9% of 6th graders). 

I would add in the SOTW tests and expect outlines and/or other written output at that age as well.  The Activity Guides also have nice lists for supplemental reading that would work better for that age (Landmark Books or Albert Marrin books are good for 3rd/4th and up). Two of my children (so far) have done done Vol. 3 and 4 as *part* of their history in 5th, 6th, and 7th grades. 

Other sources we have used and enjoyed during middle school:

• Genevieve Foster books
  • A Little History of the World
  • Story of the ___ (Greeks, Romans, Middle Ages) by Guerber/Miller
  • Rats, Bulls, and Flying Machines (Core Knowledge) as well as the world history/American history sections of the What Your __ Grader Needs to Know
  • Our Young Folks' Josephus
  • David Macaulay's books (Pyramid, City, Cathedral, Mosque, Castle)
  • Famous Men of_____ (Greece, Rome, Middle Ages) by Memoria Press
  • The World Wars (Usborne)
  • selected parts of Stanford's Reading Like a Historian 
Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 2

You might also like the Veritas Press Self-Paced History courses. They offer them at half price a couple times a year, which is a great deal. My boys do the classes together. They really enjoy the classes and are learning a ton in the process.

I hadn't even thought of that. Is it all online or what?

You will get a lot who say that SOTW is not enough for middle school, but there are others who have used it successfully. I'm using SOTW 1 with a newly 12yo, a newly 11yo and a 7yo. My olders are getting far more from it than the younger, and they really are enjoying it.

Yes, but they would get even more from materials that were designed for older students.

• Like 1

I also tend to think its not great for middle schoolers.  THat being said, for a one year program, you might use something like CHOW almost like an encyclopedia, to introduce a topic, and build in some other reading around it, especially from primary sources.  But I'd mostly be inclined to do that if I already happened to have the book.

I can't figure out how to link on mu phone, but there is a thread about this on the Logic Stage board now.

We have used K12 Human Odyssey plus lots of literature. I have also added primary sources writing assignments like the WTMA.

Edited by ScoutTN

I really like OUP The World in Ancient Times (I think that's the name..I don't have my books with me now). They also have a series on the medieval and early modern world.

Right now, my 6th grader is using American History from Beautiful Feet. It uses books like George Washington's World as the spines.