Menu

Looking for recommendations on short story collections.

One of my absolute favorite short story resources is The Story and Its Writer: An Introduction to Short Fiction

For each of the numerous short stories, there is at least one related commentary written by a well-known writer, so you have many examples of literary essays as well.  You can also never go wrong if you have a copy of Perrine's on hand.

• Like 1

I have several short story collections and textbooks so I can pick out just the stories I want to use.  I have not come across any collections that have everything I would want, and most (all?) of them have stories I can't fathom why the editor included.  I used two of these in college - the rest came from library sales. 

Heath Introduction to Fiction

The Story and Its Writer

The Compact Bedford Introduction to Fiction

Great Short Stories: Fiction from the Masters of World Literature

Major American Short Stories

Then there are the high school literature texts I used for more stories and poetry.  I don't have them right now, but I know they were by Prentice Hall.  Excellent books, old editions cheap on Amazon.

Then there are the ones by specific authors.

The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon by Washington Irving

Saki - The Fiction - Complete and Unabridged.  This has several story collections inside.  My favorites are The Chronicles of Clovis and Beasts and Super-Beasts.

The Short Stories of O. Henry

Edited by klmama
  • Like 2

I have several short story collections and textbooks so I can pick out just the stories I want to use.  I have not come across any collections that have everything I would want, and most (all?) of them have stories I can't fathom why the editor included.  I used two of these in college - the rest came from library sales. 

Heath Introduction to Fiction

The Story and Its Writer

The Complete Bedford Introduction to Fiction

Great Short Stories: Fiction from the Masters of World Literature

Major American Short Stories

Then there are the high school literature texts I used for more stories and poetry.  I don't have them right now, but I know they were by Prentice Hall.  Excellent books, old editions cheap on Amazon.

Then there are the ones by specific authors.

The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon by Washington Irving

Saki - The Fiction - Complete and Unabridged.  This has several story collections inside.  My favorites are The Chronicles of Clovis and Beasts and Super-Beasts.

The Short Stories of O. Henry

What's in your Complete Bedford book?  I have the Complete Introduction to Literature, which is similar to Perrine's and another great resource. I have hardly ever met a lit/comp from Bedford/St. Martin's Press that I haven't relied on over and over again.  Their world anthology volumes are excellent.

Edited by swimmermom3
  • Like 1

Black Water: The Book of Fantastic Literature (Manguel) -- anthology of short stories in which the surreal or "the impossible seeping into real life" predominates

Stories and Poems for Extremely Intelligent Children (Bloom) -- ignore the dopey title; this one has a lot of classic short stories and poems from the 19th century and early 20th century

The Norton Anthology of Short Fiction (Cassill) --1978 edition, so the short stories only go up to about 1970; see table of contents

The Wesleyan Anthology of Science Fiction (Evans) -- sci-fi stories from classic authors, 1844-1969

Science Fiction Hall of Fame vol. 1 (Silverberg) -- sci-fi short stories from classic authors, 1929-1964

Masterpieces: The Best Science Fiction of the 20th Century (Card) -- sci-fi short stories from classic authors, going up into the mid-1970s

I haven't run across anything yet that I like for an anthology of more contemporary short stories.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

I am a big fan of the short story, so I have many book collections aimed at the high school/ college student. 

Perrine's Literature Structure, Sound, and Sense eighth edition. A great selection of short stories.

Bedford Introduction to Literature Reading, Thinking, and Writing seventh edition-This book has a large selection of short stories. The pages are nice. Not so thin as a Norton Reader.

Literature An Introduction to Reading and Writing AP edition- I am using this in 8th grade. I like the short stories, poems, and plays. I find it is well suited for an introduction to writing about literature. The selection of short stories are themed with contemporary as well as classic short stories.

• Like 1