Menu

IB vs AP Capstone vs Homeschooling with college classes.

Dmmetler

Here's my take on this.  You and she need to decide what she wants out of high school.  Is it for academics tailored to her needs and interests?  If so, you're probably going to need to go the homeschool/dual enrollment route.  Is it to have the typical high school experience?  If so, you're going to need to drop the idea that high school is about academics and try to find a place where she can be happy socially (which may also mean waiting until she's older even though it will be a total academic mismatch--ask me how I know...).  

My younger son is currently going to the local public high school.  His choice.  He is getting the social experience he wants.  The academics are not why he's there.  I've made peace with that.  I will say that they placed him appropriately in math, which is amazing, so that's one less frustration.

However...my older son went to a private high school for a year.  I was looking for a good social and academic experience.  The academic part didn't happen and I was extremely frustrated.  I now realize that very few high schools (at least around here) are going to provide what I consider to be a rigorous and meaningful academic experience.

• Like 6

Here's my take on this.  You and she need to decide what she wants out of high school.  Is it for academics tailored to her needs and interests?  If so, you're probably going to need to go the homeschool/dual enrollment route.  Is it to have the typical high school experience?  If so, you're going to need to drop the idea that high school is about academics and try to find a place where she can be happy socially (which may also mean waiting until she's older even though it will be a total academic mismatch--ask me how I know...).  

Is it possible for her to actually be happy socially with kids that are not academically matched to her?  While my son did get along with kids from his "regular" school and still has friends, it's clear that at his new school which has a more HA/GT crowd, he's finding that he has much more in common.  I would hate for her to be both bored and unsatisfied with her social life. :(

• Like 3

Is it possible for her to actually be happy socially with kids that are not academically matched to her?  While my son did get along with kids from his "regular" school and still has friends, it's clear that at his new school which has a more HA/GT crowd, he's finding that he has much more in common.  I would hate for her to be both bored and unsatisfied with her social life. :(

If a child's interests are academic in nature, I agree.  My "nerdy" ds is much happier (socially) at his "nerdy" school than he would have been at one of the more local, typical high schools.

Dd is a music nut. Turns out that most of the other music nuts at her Saturday music school are super brilliant academically. Seriously super brilliant. I haven't yet met one who was not scary smart. Just sayin'. 

IME kids feel more comfortable in their own skin, socially, when they find their crowd.

• Like 2

Is it possible for her to actually be happy socially with kids that are not academically matched to her? 

That is a good question.  I will say though that I suspect that the OP will be hard pressed to find same age intellectual peers for her daughter.

• Like 1

That's what's tough. The combination of over emotional adolescent girl who desperately wants and needs peers and highly intense PG is a difficult one to manage. I'm clinging to the idea that I was pretty miserable from about age 11-15, but by 16 had found my place and was pretty comfortable there. And that college, even at a not Ivy draped school picked due to excellent merit aid, still had a significant enough population of people for me to find peers and friends. I just have to get her there.

• Like 2

I just have to get her there.

Sometimes I feel like everything I do, all the driving, worrying, cooking, caring, shoulder-lending, pretending to understand math head-nodding...all of this is for those 7 bolded words (just remove "her" and replace with another pronoun).

• Like 2