Menu

Writing with Ease Level 3-Dictation HELP!

My 3rd grader has difficulty remembering the dictation passages. I will read multiple (3 or more) times the passage and just getting started frustrates her. Especially when the sentences have information that is not familiar to her. Suggestions please!

I would break it down in some way with the aim of getting her to the place where she can listen to the whole thing and remember it. Could you talk about the unfamiliar things in the passage before you do the dictation so that she is somewhat familiar with them? Is it spelling the words that interferes with her doing it? You could do it a sentence at a time, or section at a time and then build up gradually. If it is too much for her right now then forcing her to keep trying the hard way will probably really meet with resistance, so I would definitely find some way to break it down so it's manageable and then work your way up. One thing that just occurred to me was maybe letting her look at the passage for a few minutes and then do it as dictation. You could shorten the time she has to study it as a way of progressing.

• Like 3

My Ds also struggles with the dictations.

I give him spellings for words he doesn't know or might get wrong. I break longer dictations into sentences or even clauses, if needed. Sometimes we do them as studied dictation. This works well. Sometimes I just do them as copywork and move on. Dictation is useful, but don't let it ruin the whole program for you! Ds enjoys the literature excerpts and does fine with narrations.

• Like 1

My 9 year old can't do the dictations after 3 repetitions either.  Truly, I doubt there are very many third graders who could.  We adapt:  either more that 3 repetitions (sometimes many more) to memorize the entire passage, or break the passage down into shorter chunks to dictate in series.  I'm seeing steady progress as the year goes by, so I am happy with this.  

I've looked through WWE4 (looking ahead to next year).  I don't think that I am capable of doing some of those dictations in 3 repetitions myself!  So I will likely continue adapting for my kids and call it good.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 1

My oldest was in PS through third grade and had never encountered dictation before.  She absolutely struggled with the memorywork, though she was great at the writing assignments.  It frustrated her to no end.  So I broke down the passages, sometimes a lot.  I like the idea of letting the student read through the passages a few times first so that they can become familiar with new words.

• Like 1

With my DS, we first go over any words that he may not know how to spell.  I read the passage all the way through twice, then he tries to repeat it back to me (there's usually at least an error or two).  I repeat it again.  Then if he gets stuck as he writes, I will repeat a sentence or clause if necessary.  When we first started, we had to do one sentence or clause at a time.  He's vastly improved how much he can retain and write down without prompting.  We started WWE 3 over half way into third grade last year, took the summer off, and picked it back up for fourth grade.  He's on lesson 20 now and improving with each lesson.  

• Like 1