Menu

Movies like "Hidden Figures?"

milovany

Just came home from watching the new movie "Hidden Figures" (loved it) and would like to come up with a list of similar movies, ones that are inspirational and have a tie-in science/math. I don't know if there are many, but I don't feel ready to start table time again this week and would like to maybe watch a bunch of such movies for discussion and possible inspiration.  I'm not so much looking for the civil rights based storyline since we've covered that a lot already; I'm look for STEM information and inspiration. 

Thoughts?  Thank you for any suggestions! 

• Like 1

There's a sweet lesser known film called Infinity where Matthew Broderick plays Richard Feynman. It's not so much a story about science, but there are a lot of little science tidbits in it and it takes place while Feynman was working at Los Alamos. It's mostly a love story about him and his first wife who died when she was very young. Anyone who's read his books will recognize some of the anecdotes in there about her and his early life.

Something the Lord Made with Alan Rickman and Mos Def (Yasiin Bey).  I think it might have been a made for cable movie?  Really good about 2 men, one black and one white, who pioneered heart surgery.  I'll let you guess who gets most of the credit for their advances.  But their relationship, though pretty volatile, is inspiring, IMO!  It's from 2004.

Edited by 6packofun