Menu

WWYD with this class?

Night Elf

Dd got out of the introductory Stat class because she did excellent on the AP exam. She's enrolled in the next class that has the introductory Stat class as a prereq. Her instructor has posted a quiz she wants everyone to take to see if they remember the introductory material to see if they're ready for her class. Dd is working on that quiz but she's scared she won't do well because she won't remember the material. The instructor said if you don't do well on the quiz, you should drop the course. If she drops it, can she enroll in the introductory class even though she was able to skip it because of her AP exam score? Does that vary by college? She's going to email her advisor but we imagine he'll be super busy during drop/add and won't get back to her in time.

Normally, having credit for the AP does not mean the student must skip the class. 

Whether she can still enroll in the intro course depends on whether there are seats left.

I would encourage your DD to just try the quiz, after doing some brief review of her stats material. Has it been a long time since she took the AP course? 

• Like 5

She took the AP course as a senior, last school year and aced it. She got a 5 on the AP exam. I think she's just scared this college class won't be as easy as her AP class.

She did review some AP material online and had to refer to it while taking the quiz, but she got an 85 on it. I told her I think she'll be fine but this may be a class that requires hard work to keep up with the material. She's also taking Calculus 2 along with 2 other classes so she's worried she won't be able to keep up.

She took the AP course as a senior, last school year and aced it. She got a 5 on the AP exam. I think she's just scared this college class won't be as easy as her AP class.

She did review some AP material online and had to refer to it while taking the quiz, but she got an 85 on it. I told her I think she'll be fine but this may be a class that requires hard work to keep up with the material. She's also taking Calculus 2 along with 2 other classes so she's worried she won't be able to keep up.

Well, of course it won't be as easy as the AP class, since it is the next level. But she also knows a lot more than when she started the AP class.

Worry is fine. Just give it a shot. She can always drop a class if she realizes she is not keeping up - but first, she should give it a try. An 85 on the pre-quiz sounds fine to me.

• Like 2

Many kids to take introductory classes at college even though they already did this AP, I've actually heard this recommended by many people for calculus especially.

85 on the quiz sounds like a reasonable score though, I would take that to mean that she does in fact have a good grasp on most of the pre-requisite material and maybe just needs a little review on a few concepts.

• Like 2

Does the college have math tutors? If so, have her ask for a tutor that took Stats with the same professor that is teaching her class. It's likely that the student-tutor will have some insight into both the teaching style of the prof and the upcoming content of the class. It'll help her decide if she wants to add/drop the Stats class.

Ds was persistent and dropped in to the tutoring center at different times and days until a tutor with the same professor became available.