Menu

waldorf playstands, yay or nay?

eternalsummer

I know Waldorf as a whole is pretty nutty, but in general I like their philosophy and implementation of play areas - natural materials, not too loud, open-ended play.  I would really like a set of playstands.

These are my favorites, I think: https://www.bellalunatoys.com/products/deluxe-wooden-playstands-and-shelves

There are also these: https://www.amazon.com/Little-Colorado-Play-Stand/dp/B0028XQG00  (you buy two of them so they can combine to make a fort or whatever, arches optional).

First of all, does anyone own these?  Do your kids use them?

Secondly, does anyone who does have them (or who doesn't, hah) have an opinion about arches vs no arches?  It seems like without the arches they could move the individual stands around a lot more and use them in different ways, but the arches look pretty and make for easier forts.

I know the cost seems insane and I'd love to find a used set; on the other hand they're cheaper than a Wii, or whatever, and we don't own those kinds of things.

It is easy with Waldorf to get taken in by the consumerist end of it so I am a bit wary of that, though.

I read this as "Waldorf Playstation" and was very intrigued.

Now there's a term filled with contradictions.  :lol:

We didn't do much Waldorf stuff when my kids were little. While it's all soooooo pretty, cardboard boxes, sheets, worn out winter scarves, and random found objects in nature were free and ended up being more inspiring than the abstract, multipurpose things that I did buy (Waldorf or not). So I vote nay.

• Like 5

We had them and loved them! I will definitely be getting some for my grandkids one day. :D They were magical here. We had the arches and they were wonderful for making the kids feel like they were in their own private room. We had a couple of long play silks, a rainbow and blue with stars. Those are still in use. The play stands were among my kids' favorite toys, up there with wooden blocks, play silks, Schleich/Paso/Safari play figures, dress-up clothes, and their play kitchen.

• Like 2

We didn't do much Waldorf stuff when my kids were little. While it's all soooooo pretty, cardboard boxes, sheets, worn out winter scarves, and random found objects in nature were free and ended up being more inspiring than the abstract, multipurpose things that I did buy (Waldorf or not). So I vote nay.

My kids also loved cardboard boxes (still do!) and all the rest, my DH is somewhat of a neat freak. When the kids were younger, our house was smaller and the kids mostly played in our living room. Found object play would make DH twitchy after a while, in a way that the play stands never did. He was deployed twice while we were at that house and the living room became their main play area. Those play stands were central to everything during those years, and their loveliness and versatility helped keep me sane. Lol

• Like 2

Like Alte Veste we had them and loved them. "Pretty things" are important to this mama if they're going to be seen and used everyday. There's always more room for beauty in this world, it is calming and nourishing both and while there are many everyday ways to make this a part of life the playstands fit the bill for us. As ds got older the playstand transitioned into a reading nook with a carpet on the floor, cushions, a lamp, a special picture hung on the wall of the corner it was in, and the shelves were where his favorite books were kept as well as being a perfect place to put a cup of tea and plate of cookies, required for reading ;) With the rainbow silks above him it made reading his own in a magical way. 

Edited by shukriyya
  • Like 5

We made them, they were great.  We made the arches and really liked having them.  It was what took them from 'fancy bookcase' to a play area.  We covered the top with a big rainbow silk a friend made. It gave it a nice 'play house' feel.

I can't say that it added a lot to their play. My kids are very imaginative on their own. We had no screens, only books etc when they were that young. They never used them for puppet shows or to play store or any of the things you see pictured.  They used it as a reading area and to keep their 'babies'. It made for a natural gathering place when they had friends over. We sometimes had a little table and chairs in there, sometimes the toy stove/oven...we changed it up a lot.

It was nice to have a play area and they added a very  nice look to the play space, but they weren't life changing or anything. They grew out of them pretty quickly.

DH made them very tall. With the arches they were about as me, 5 ft.  We saw some that people bought and they were quite tiny. The kids grow out of them quickly when they are that small.  They grow out of them quickly anyway, so I'm glad ours were taller.

• Like 1

We had one, and got a lot of use out of it.  It would have been better to have two.   I agree that for some people, "pretty things" are important.  I am pretty low-key in that regard but I appreciated nice-looking things in our living room.

We also bought silk squares, which I know may seem like an extravagance, but they were well-loved and well-used for years.  

• Like 1

Like Alte Veste we had them and loved them. "Pretty things" are important to this mama if they're going to be seen and used everyday. There's always more room for beauty in this world, it is calming and nourishing both and while there are many everyday ways to make this a part of life the playstands fit the bill for us. As ds got older the playstand transitioned into a reading nook with a carpet on the floor, cushions, a lamp, a special picture hung on the wall of the corner it was in, and the shelves were where his favorite books were kept as well as being a perfect place to put a cup of tea and plate of cookies, required for reading ;) With the rainbow silks above him it made reading his own in a magical way. 

To me too... I just found that often the things I found aesthetically pleasing weren't the things the kids gravitated toward, unfortunately. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

update: I bought them

at first I put them in the back play room/ laundry room and they got no use.  In the next couple of weeks the TV died (we had not ever had one before this anyway, as we're renting furnished, so we just put it out to pasture) and we got the living room back and also the kids back from constant screen-watching.  Set up the playstands in the living room today.  So far constant use.  Much enjoyment.  I had to suggest a couple of things to them (fort, store, spaceship) but then they took over and I am satisfied.  For anyone reading in the future looking for reviews, we bought the elves and angels ones (atoymakersdaughter on etsy) and they were super easy to put together and very very very sturdy, and they smell nice, like pine.  The kids who like them are 2-8.

• Like 1

I know you bought them, but thought I owuld add notes on my own ones.

I liked the arches one, but something I don't think people understand is that they are SMALL. They are very short, meant for 3-4 year olds to play under, so even without the arches they are like very low shelves.

So I loved the look of them, but the cost for what they were was ridiculous. I got my husband to make us some. So he made them about 2? years ago for me.  and I can fit under the center of the arch without bending (although I am a shorty). Its tucked away in the corner of my very compact house and I have a cabinet under the end of them that holds random school supplies (art, math, beginning readers, music stuff etc), the top of the cabinet holds the girls American dolls and accessories.

The Playstand itself I put an old much loved horse patchwork quilt over the top of (the quilt is on its last legs, so allows it to be viewable, but not accessible. - There is also red fabric with white spots that turns the playstand into a mushroom if they want and plenty of various scarves available. The poles across the top we have used  to hold hangers for things, Our playstand is two seperate shelves with arches, so its easy to move around.

The shelves hold board games, nerf supplies, spare (used on one side) paper, Kids art sculptures, my grandmothers ceramic fairies she made that hte kids love, and our school "collection" (various items Ive purchased for school lessons, like rocks, fossils, gemstones, shofar, Coconut thumb piano, etc (basically the stuff unusual or unique we like to display).

• Like 1