Menu

When you have an overnight layover and you leave for a hotel, the luggage?

J-rap

My dd is on her way home from France, and has a long layover in Amsterdam.  So, she's staying overnight in a hotel in the airport, but outside of security.  (Thanks to Hotels.com points!)  She believes that her checked luggage (originating in France) didn't need to be attended to, so she didn't try and pick it up or anything.  She just assumed that it would be placed on the same flight that she goes on tomorrow.  However, she is suddenly wondering if she was supposed to have picked it up?  How does this usually work when a ticket is booked the whole way, with a long overnight layover in another country and the passenger leaves the security area?  With all the traveling we have done, I guess this is the first time we've had this particular experience.

• Like 1

She received a claim ticket when she checked it- does it list Amsterdam or her final destination? Dd has had it both ways- she's had it checked all the way to final destination and had to get her luggage and recheck it to the final destination...which was a total pain!!! I think if she was supposed to get it they would have told her- dd was told when she checked it. 

• Like 3

When she checked the luggage, what airport did she check it to?  I have been on trips where I was able to check luggage all the way to my final destination, even if it was several legs of travel. Sometimes, the luggage will get there before the traveler does. I have been on other trips where I had to pick up my luggage and recheck it.

• Like 2

She received a claim ticket when she checked it- does it list Amsterdam or her final destination? Dd has had it both ways- she's had it checked all the way to final destination and had to get her luggage and recheck it to the final destination...which was a total pain!!! I think if she was supposed to get it they would have told her- dd was told when she checked it. 

She checked it through all the way to the U.S., her destination city.

• Like 2

If the baggage claim ticket shows her final destination airport in the USA, that is where she should go to claim her luggage. There is a word for checking something to an intermediate destination,  I don't remember what that word is. It sounds like your DD checked her bag to her final destination and after she arrives there, hopefully she will be reunited with her luggage., 

• Like 2

If the luggage is checked through, she does not need to retrieve it. In fact, she won't be able to.

She will need to get it at her port of entry in the US, even if that is not her final destination, to carry it through customs

This. We always checked all the way through, but at port of entries, you do have to get the luggage to take it through customs, then take it back to baggage check-in. If we had a long layover, we were particularly careful to pack everything we would need (outside of very unexpected circumstances) in carry-ons. It's nice not to have to fool with the luggage.

• Like 1